Boarding question: Miami

Ruislipspur

We're first timers on NCL and were wondering what the boarding situation was like.

I notice the time stated is 12:00 for a 16:00 sailing, but what is the likelihood of getting on any earlier? Would it pay to rock up much before 12:00?

Thanks in advance

The boarding starts always about the same time regardless of the departure time. Previous passengers are kicked out around 10am at latest and boarding generally starts between 11am and noon, more often closer to noon.

Edited by Demonyte

We're first timers on NCL and were wondering what the boarding situation was like.

I notice the time stated is 12:00 for a 16:00 sailing, but what is the likelihood of getting on any earlier? Would it pay to rock up much before 12:00?

Thanks in advance

I never pay attention to that 'don't show up prior to X time' thing...LOL We usually get to the Miami port between 10:30 and 11:00. Between unloading the car and then the DH parking in the garage and walking over to where we are (we live in FL - so we always drive), that takes a bit of time. Meanwhile, I enjoy people watching and there are always interesting people getting off of a cruise :cool:. Anyway, getting through Security and then getting checked in takes a few minutes with not much of a line at that time of day. Then it's time to find a spot to sit (more people watching for me while DD plays on her phone and DH catches up on some reading) and then they call to board. It never seems like a long wait - and we are usually on board by 11-11:30. Easy-Peasy!:D

We always try to arrive at about 10:30. The port terminal is usually just open for checking in. Lines are short, security and check in at the desk quick. You will also be given a group boarding number then. We sit for a while, people watch, and at usually 11:15 to 11:30 boarding begins. Priority groups will go first. Then the group numbers are called one at a time. You will be on board quickly and pretty much have the ship to yourself briefly. The vacation has begun!

I've been wondering the same thing as well.

We have never sailed NCL before but are so looking forward to it. We will be on the Getaway out of Miami. What is the embarkation morning like? On previous cruises we headed over around 10:30 but a lot of sitting and waiting was to follow. But the benefit to it was walking through security without a line and no long lines for check in either.

If we waited until 11 or so to head over would it be a madhouse with long lines and nowhere to sit? We like to get on the ship early but we also have a really nice hotel booked and would like to enjoy it util check out time.

Also what time are rooms available? Are they ready at check in or do you have to wait?

Sailed on the Escape a week and a half ago. We arrived at the Port just before 10:30. Went through security and were checked in by about 10:45. Headed upstairs and were put in boarding group 16 - it was close to a two hour wait by the time we actually set foot on the ship.