4 New cruise ships to be ordered??

stuart2468

I think these 4 new ships were part of what was known as the "Meraviglia Plus" class of ship which was announced during the Meraviglia coin ceremony.

I was incorrect,,,,2 x Meraviglia and 2 x Meraviglia Plus and now 4 x World Class:

Executive Chairman of MSC Pierfrancesco Vago formalizes the agreement with STX France shipyards for the order and the construction of a new class of ships. Code name: WORLD.

Will be the largest ships ever built by MSC, with dizzying numbers: 200 thousand tons, 335 meters long by 47 wide; 2750 cabins for about 7000 cruise passengers; an innovative hybrid diesel and LNG, liquefied natural gas.

the cost over 4 billion euro investment, a historical contract for establishments STX France which until recently were in financial difficulties and now will work for the next decade. The first ship of the Project WORLD will be delivered in 2021.

"The prototype design and innovation processes require a high level of skill that few shipyards have." Said Vago the French newspaper Paris Match. "We ordered since 2003 three different classes of ships. The first ship of the fourth class, the MSC Wonder, will be delivered next year. Today we are announcing the construction of a prototype, called MSC WORLD. These four new ships will be completed between 2021 and 2026. Each ship will cost 1 billion euro. Our commitment with the shipyards of Saint-Nazaire, from 2014 to 2026, is for the construction of eight ships on which we have invested 7 billion Euros, 70 million hours of work and 3,200 jobs, not counting subcontractors " he concluded.

I was incorrect,,,,2 x Meraviglia and 2 x Meraviglia Plus and now 4 x World Class:

Executive Chairman of MSC Pierfrancesco Vago formalizes the agreement with STX France shipyards for the order and the construction of a new class of ships. Code name: WORLD.

Will be the largest ships ever built by MSC, with dizzying numbers: 200 thousand tons, 335 meters long by 47 wide; 2750 cabins for about 7000 cruise passengers; an innovative hybrid diesel and LNG, liquefied natural gas.

the cost over 4 billion euro investment, a historical contract for establishments STX France which until recently were in financial difficulties and now will work for the next decade. The first ship of the Project WORLD will be delivered in 2021.

"The prototype design and innovation processes require a high level of skill that few shipyards have." Said Vago the French newspaper Paris Match. "We ordered since 2003 three different classes of ships. The first ship of the fourth class, the MSC Wonder, will be delivered next year. Today we are announcing the construction of a prototype, called MSC WORLD. These four new ships will be completed between 2021 and 2026. Each ship will cost 1 billion euro. Our commitment with the shipyards of Saint-Nazaire, from 2014 to 2026, is for the construction of eight ships on which we have invested 7 billion Euros, 70 million hours of work and 3,200 jobs, not counting subcontractors " he concluded.

Interesting that they would refer to the next new ship as MSC Wonder as apposed to its 'Italian' Name. No one knows of it as Wonder. And I've just recently mastered the pronunciation of Meraviglia. :D:D

More here:

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/14378-msc-orders-four-lng-megaships-from-stx-france.html

MSC Cruises has announced today that it has signed a letter of intent (LOI) with STX France for the construction of up to four new LNG-powered cruise ships that will be more than 200,000 tons. The ships will be able to carry 5,400 passengers at double occupancy.

The four ships, the first one of which will be delivered in 2022, will be based on a new advanced next-generation prototype and will form what will be known as the “World Class” of MSC Cruises’ ships.

The announcement was made at the Élysée Palace in the presence of the President of the French Republic, François Hollande, as well as MSC Group’s Founder and Executive Chairman, Gianluigi Aponte, and STX France’s CEO Laurent Castaing.

“Today’s announcement is further proof, if needed, of our view that this industry presents significant opportunities for additional growth going forward for both our brand and product, as well as of our firm commitment to be best-positioned to capture them to the fullest,” said Pierfrancesco Vago, MSC Cruises Executive Chairman. “For this reason, our ten-plus year investment plan now encompasses up to eleven new MSC Cruises ships, coming into service between 2017 and 2026. It is also a reflection of our constant commitment to innovation, as we will partner with STX France to design yet again a completely new prototype – already the sixth in our history. In fact, in yet another industry-first, the new MSC Cruises’ World Class prototype will feature – amongst other highly innovative elements – a record-breaking, futuristically-conceived design that will make the ship a truly unique place to be at sea, whilst maximizing the open air space available to guests.”

“Our long-standing focus on innovation will make the new prototype quite unlike anything currently existing in the cruise industry,” continued Vago. “It will be: yet the richest in amenities and features for guests, for both families and their children as well as adults; cutting edge in design all-around; featuring the latest and the best state-of-the-art smart technology at sea; using the most-advanced environmentally-friendly technology available, all the way through the LNG-propelled engines. Moreover, it will be a ship for all seasons and for all regions.”

“We have just signed an unprecedented agreement with MSC Cruises which will give us a vision of our industrial capacity for the next ten years! We have had a good relationship with MSC Cruises for many years now, and this new agreement strengthens this further,” commented Laurent Castaing, STX Frances Chief Executive Officer. “We have already designed four different classes for MSC Cruises – Lirica, Musica, Fantasia and Meraviglia – each with four ships, and now we are working together on this new generation of “World Class” ships. By 2026, that makes a total of 20 ships that will have been designed and built by STX France in Saint-Nazaire.”

“MSC Cruises has been expanding its global footprint and fleet of state-of-the-art ships that combine cutting-edge technology, comfort and unrivalled entertainment with the lowest impact on the environment,” added Castaing. “In order to achieve this next stage of growth, MSC Cruises have selected STX France for our unparalleled engineering and production capacities as part of a long-term partnership - a decision that pleases me immensely.”

The four ships provided under the LOI – two firm orders and two further options – will be delivered in 2022, 2024, 2025 and in 2026.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/msc-cruises-plans-4-6-billion-order-of-up-to-four-more-ships-1459956602

This interesting link has the World project ships as being approx 220,00 tonnes. If this is true, why not add the additional 10,000 odd tonne required to market them as the biggest ships in the world and really stick one up RCI?

I Personally wasn't a massive fan of the Allure, however this wasn't due to its size or amenities. More that the decor had very little style to it. (apart from a few areas like Park Central)

7,000 passengers? No thanks unless they make half mile long ships with enough pools, restaurants, shops and public transit.:eek::p

I'm getting my cruises in now before the industry ruins itself.

Other articles state 5,400 pax at double occupancy was seems more reasonable for a ship of this size.

Meanwhile seaside appears to be forgotten about.

I would not worry about the Seaside as 2017 is 5 years before we see the 1st World Class & as to making it bigger that a Royal Oasis Class, I would bet on it happening!:eek:

Other articles state 5,400 pax at double occupancy was seems more reasonable for a ship of this size.

I would be curious to know what the mean passenger occupancy rates are for cruise lines per cabin. I know it is very seasonal, but it would still be interesting and if there is much variance between lines. I would suspect that Disney has the highest since so many kids are involved, but it would be interesting to know.

I don't see the Port Of Miami as a viable option to home port an LNG ship,,,at least not in the near future. They do not have the land mass to accommodate the massive tanks it will take to store the LNG. There is currently only one terminal in North America with enough bunkering capabilities and that is Harvey Gulf International Marine in Port Fourchon, Louisiana. The terminal is reported to have been designed to meet U.S. federal requirements, with the capacity to store 270,000 gallons, spread across three 90,000 gallon type "C" vacuum insulated tanks, and pump at a rate of 550 gallons per minute (GMP).

Finally found where I had seen the 7,000 passenger figure quoted for the new ship class, it is on the mscfans.it website in the press release. Any have any idea how safe LNG is ?

Finally found where I had seen the 7,000 passenger figure quoted for the new ship class, it is on the mscfans.it website in the press release. Any have any idea how safe LNG is ?

Basically the same as an LP Gas grill!:eek: Highly volatile worse than gasoline which is worse than Diesel. Im not a Chemical engineer but I am sure that there is a volatility chart out there.

Having dealt with fires involving most types of fuels and gases including an exploding Oxygen and Acetyline cylinders it makes me wonder just how safe LNG will be in the enclosed spaces of a cruise ship.

Having dealt with fires involving most types of fuels and gases including an exploding Oxygen and Acetyline cylinders it makes me wonder just how safe LNG will be in the enclosed spaces of a cruise ship.

Sid,,,everything you ever wanted to know about LNG and LNG bunkering can be found here:https://www.dnvgl.com/Images/LNG_report_2015-01_web_tcm8-13833.pdf

Mike ... Interesting reading although very few ships using it despite it being around for 15 years.

Correct Sid,,,hopefully that will change in the next few years as more and more research and technological advances are made regarding LNG and large vessels. In other news,,,Carnival Vista has left the building dock in Monfalcone so MSC Seaside should resume construction soon hopefully!!!:)

In other news,,,Carnival Vista has left the building dock in Monfalcone

From post No 17 with the interior pics of Vista.

20 days until the first paid sailing of Vista, tomorrow evening the ship will leave Monfalcone to go out on the Official Carnival sea trials, the previous ones were carried out by the Fincantiri.

In other news,,,Carnival Vista has left the building dock in Monfalcone

From post No 17 with the interior pics of Vista.

20 days until the first paid sailing of Vista, tomorrow evening the ship will leave Monfalcone to go out on the Official Carnival sea trials, the previous ones were carried out by the Fincantiri.

Were on the Vista for Xmas have a Havana Cabana Suite!:D