Tropicante for the day in Costa Maya from the Star?

gl339

I love Tropicante, too. The owner, Steve, is very personable and walks around and speaks with all his guests. The servers are always available and friendly. Just be aware that he does not accept credit cards, so bring cash.

We tried Blue Kay the last time we were in Costa Maya - no comparison. We'll be going back to Tropicante next time.

You can't go wrong at Tropicante!!

Steve is awesome - from the states; email or call him.

Made my large group feel so welcomed. Reserved loungers and chair and tables. It's not a big place and we felt like we had the beach and service just to our selves.

Steve came and sat/drank with us for a bit. The locals played football with our older kids in the street; climbed trees to cut down coconuts for coconut water.

We ate and drank for hours!!

Bills varied on what you ate and drank - drinks are only about $4 each and food was awesome; items start at about $6 - we as well tipped generously.

We went this past November and by far our groups favorite day of the whole trip!!

Thank you for the great information! Was getting there that difficult? On the website it explains how to take a cab there and says it may be a little difficult to find. I do not speak Spanish and my boyfriend only took it a couple years in high school. I am just concerned we may end up in the wrong place!

Go to their website!! There is very specific travel instructions there.

Print it and bring it with you!! Our driver spoke no English and found it :)

Get a cab - walk past everything; every other means of transportation until you are out of the actual "port". Keep asking for taxi's only...

You go through the maze of "port" to get out - cross the street and you will see a line of taxi's. I think we paid $4 or $5 per person.

It's about a 10 minute drive - scenic, pleasant.

As you get close - You will notice a "tower" on a main street - it's the same in the picture from his website. We had called ahead of time to reserve and Steve actually had a guy standing in the street with a board with our name on it! Regardless - walk towards the beach and make a right; it's right there!!

Edited by robbysbabe

When we went (to Blue Kay) in November, taxis were still $2 per person. Easy to find the taxi stand. As robbysbabe posted, just walk out of the port past the guard building, cross the street so that you're walking on the right side. You'll see all the taxis, and there will be a dispatcher who speaks English. If not, just say Tropicante, and they'll understand where you want to go. It's very well known. No need to speak Spanish.

On the way back, the taxi stand is just around the corner from Tropicante. Get your ship's cards ready to show when entering the port area.

Tropicante was "EXCELLANTE"...We were there last week (3/31). Like others have said, go outside the port and take a taxi $2 per person. The cab driver dropped us off right around the corner from Tropicante. We emailed Steve in advance, He had a gentleman waiting for us with our name written on a handheld chalkboard. He walked us over to the beach to our reserved loungers and shade. The beach was beautiful, the water was perfect, and they had sand toys available for my 8 year old son to play with. The food and drinks were good and reasonably price, the 3 of us (2 adults 1 child) spent about $60 on food and drink plus tip. When we were finished one of there employees walked us around the corner where there were cabs waiting to take people back to the port. We will definately go back next year...The only negative was the amount of vendors that walk the beach. I know this is not a Tropicante issue but occurs on the entire stretch of beach. A simple smile and "No Thank You" sends them on their way, but after 30 or 40 no thank you's it does get kind of annoying.

Tropicante is fine but there are about a dozen other beachfront restaurant/bars also available along the 1 mile long section. They all have the same beach and tables, trees etc. I have been there and Tropicante was too busy. The others offer the same amenities at about the same prices.

Walk up and down the malecon and check them out. It's fun and free to compare.

Tropicante is great, and has bathroom facilities. Unsure if the others do....I rdered a chicken in cream sauce dish recommended by the server, and it was awesome! $10!

but this thread should be under ports of call, costa Maya.....not on NCL forum. youll see lots there about the Tropicante.

Edited by mrobstad

By far Tropicante is one of my favorite places on earth! Steve, the owner, is such a nice guy. He always comes over and talks to each and every table there. Really interesting story...he's been in Costa Maya quite some time now. Not to be missed are the chicken and sour cream enchiladas! He even shared the recipe with me and I just can't get them to taste as good as theirs do!

We were just there last week. Beach was beautiful and food and service were wonderful. You can't go wrong!

By far Tropicante is one of my favorite places on earth! Steve, the owner, is such a nice guy. He always comes over and talks to each and every table there. Really interesting story...he's been in Costa Maya quite some time now. Not to be missed are the chicken and sour cream enchiladas! He even shared the recipe with me and I just can't get them to taste as good as theirs do!

We were just there last week. Beach was beautiful and food and service were wonderful. You can't go wrong!

oops, i think that was the dish i loved! the sour cream jogged my memory!

Ditto on all the good comments on Tropicante and the owner Steve. This place is one of the main reasons we still take that cruise! We always reserve our spots (free of charge) with Steve before we sail. He also has a phone where you can call back home free of charge if you want to. We're always treated very well, always have a massage on the beach while we are there too. You really can't go wrong. Get a cab outside the port, $2. pp each way. Go and enjoy and see why we all love it there! :)