Bonine for Kids

mengel246

Hello!

We are traveling this weekend on our first cruise with a 3 and 5 year old. I remember reading a while ago on one of the boards about giving the kids (and myself) motion sickness pills a day before we start cruising.

Has anyone done this and what dosage did you give? On Bonine's website it says 1-2 tablets daily an hour before traveling so not sure about starting the day before?

My husband and I took a ferry from Spain to Morocco (and then a bus from Tangier to Fez) years ago and were so traumatized from the motion sickness I went out and bought almost $100 worth of bonine/sea bands to bring just in case (I know a ferry is much much different than a cruise ship.. I'm still paranoid). One of my biggest fears about our first cruise was us all being sick the entire time.

Thanks!

My pharmacist and my Dr. both said the Bonine is not for kids (mine are 6,8). My Ped said to give them liquid Bemydrl if they started to have problems. I also bought ginger candy from GNC but the kids say it is "spicy". Dramamine also comes in a child approved form but I personally hate that stuff. I did buy the kids stuff for them just in case we really get desperate though. And Bonine for DH. I have cruised before with no problems so keeping fingers crossed they will be fine as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It's pretty rare for small kids to have problems with motion sickness on cruise ships!

Talk to your pediatrician, and see what they recommend....and then see how the kids do...they might have NO problems at all.

A cruiseship does NOT ride like a ferry!!! Apples and oranges, comparison-wise!

We have used motioneaze with our daughter when she was 5 and again at 6 with no negative issues. It reminds me of an essential oil and you put it behind your ear. It has a distinct but not bad or overpowering smell to it initially and we used it as well. No sickness from anyone but neither cruise was rough so ymmv.

In Canada you can buy Gravol for Kids (which is equivalent to Bonine/dramamine - an OTC motion sickness med) but I don't think it's available in the US. I always bring it but have never needed to use it EXCEPT on our last cruise when we did an excursion to Tortola and my 7 year old (and many others) got very sick on the charter boat. Of course, I had left the Gravol on the ship! Some very kind lady handed us some Bonine for the trip back and I just split each pill in half for the kids and they were fine.

Edited by YOWmom

Young kids can have motion sickness.

My daughter gets carsick (on drives longer than 30 minutes) so I knew she would have seasickness too (and she did).

For kids, I second MOTION EASE if you can buy it. I usually stock up at Merritt Island Walmart near Cape Canaveral. I haven't been able to find it at Walmart's further north, although I have seen it at CVS in Buffalo.

If you are from Canada, Gravol kids is great too.

I usually give my daughter Gravol kids (for the drive to the airport) which gets her through the first part of the flight. She will have another gravol usually before the plane lands and then one just before dinner. Then I start with the motion ease. Next morning, if the seas are rough, she will have another gravol before breakfast, .... other than that, Motion Ease at every meal. I rub it behind the ears and then usually add some just under the nose with whatever residiual oil is on my finger. When the kids were younger, we called "vacation perfume". After a few days, her body has pretty much acclimated to the movement of the ship. As kids get older they can vocalize what their body is going through and now she asks for it if she needs it. When she was really young, she used to say her tummy was warm, and that I (eventually) learned was cue for "I'm going to be sick".

For adults, I have never heard of starting a day before travel. Take it as soon as you feel symptoms coming on - nausea, dizziness, vomiting. Gravol/Bonnine acts pretty fast. If you don't need, don't take it.

Edited by Queen of Oakville

We use a ginger oil for nausea - my Ob actually has it as a preventative for morning sickness.

We used non drowsy bonnine or Dramamine the first cruise and just felt a slight off. Tried the ginger oil the next cruise and it was magnificent. Absolutely no side effects. We gave it to a girl who got sea sick in the boat on the way out to an excursion for the way back. She didn't get sick on the way back.

My girls were 5 the first cruise and 7 the next cruise.

We are going again and my boy will be two. We will be using the ginger oil again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use a ginger oil for nausea - my Ob actually has it as a preventative for morning sickness.

We used non drowsy bonnine or Dramamine the first cruise and just felt a slight off. Tried the ginger oil the next cruise and it was magnificent. Absolutely no side effects. We gave it to a girl who got sea sick in the boat on the way out to an excursion for the way back. She didn't get sick on the way back.

My girls were 5 the first cruise and 7 the next cruise.

We are going again and my boy will be two. We will be using the ginger oil again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you use it topically and dilute ? I have a bottle of Ginger eo but didn't think of it last cruise. I'll give it a try this time

Hello!

We are traveling this weekend on our first cruise with a 3 and 5 year old. I remember reading a while ago on one of the boards about giving the kids (and myself) motion sickness pills a day before we start cruising.

Has anyone done this and what dosage did you give? On Bonine's website it says 1-2 tablets daily an hour before traveling so not sure about starting the day before?

!

I think it's very unwise to give children as young as yours any over-the-counter medication.

You need to contact your doctor or paediatrician.

Did you use it topically and dilute ? I have a bottle of Ginger eo but didn't think of it last cruise. I'll give it a try this time

We used according to directions which are-

Dab on temples and inside of wrists

I was skeptical and we had bought and brought the sea bands just in case for backup but we never even opened them. The ginger oil was amazing. My one daughter gets car sick occasionally on long road trips and I have used bonnine or Dramamine in the past for anti nausea--- the ginger oil worked and we felt totally 100% ourselves with no side effects. It really surprised me. We won't cruise without it now.