Carnival Legend Review - March 2016 South Pacific - Pics/Food

Tigerlily75

Thank you so much for this review. We are looking forward to boarding Legend in Honolulu next month for the sailing around the islands and then to Vancouver. I only wish we were retired so that we could sail the repositioning all the way from Sydney! Maybe someday...

Cheers!

Back for seadays one and two, after a trip to the doctor. Be aware that if you nick yourself shaving, followed by swimming in foreign lagoons, you just may get an infection! I have a hefty dose of antibiotics, but otherwise it appears I will live.

So our first balcony means waking up to this:

image.jpg22.jpg

Ahh, very nice! But, as nice as it was, I didn't really spend a lot of time actually sitting out there. In this case, the balcony was a bargain, but if there was a significant price difference, I would probably happily choose an interior again.

Aside from one seaday brunch, we ate breakfast everyday on Lido. I didn't take any pictures, I don't think food differs from other Carnival ships, aside from the addition of Vegemite and Weetbix (a brick wheat cereal we all grew up on). They even had Lucky Charms!

I don't remember everything we did, but pics in date order are helping. About 11.30 we went to the cooking demo in the Steakhouse, which was great. Everyone got samples of the food, and they were quite generous! The lighting is terrible, under the red funnel.

image.jpg23.jpg

image.jpg3_5.jpg

It was Easter Sunday, there was a non-denominational service that morning in the theatre, there were also Easter Egg hunts for the kids, and Easter displays and cakes etc in the buffet:

image.jpg10_4.jpg

Where you would find me at 3.30pm on every seaday .. BINGO! haha. I never won though. A seven year old girl won twice in one day, over $600. Actually that's something else that's different - apparently they change the Bingo for Australia. I've never played Bingo outside of a Carnival ship, let alone overseas, so I don't know in what way it is different.

image.jpg9_5.jpg

Dinner, the highlight of our day - here's our awesome waiters dancing

image.jpg3_6.jpg

Dinner, night 2. Something else that's different - the word entree for us is what you would call an appetizer. On the menu they call it "Starters" and then "Mains".

We both had White Bean Soup, it was very good

image.jpg8_5.jpg

I also had marinated portobello mushrooms

image.jpg7_5.jpg

For mains, Daughter had Eggplant & Zucchini Parmigiana, she really liked it

image.jpg6_5.jpg

I had lamb, I think it was Roast Lamb, it was a little bit dry and tough to be honest

image.jpg4_6.jpg

Daughter had mango sorbet again for dessert, and I had what was my absolute favourite for the whole cruise, it was a warm Fig & Date cake - delicious! The tv menu later tricked me into thinking it was going to be on again one night, but it wasn't. Order like three of these if it comes up for you! At least three, maybe four ;)

image.jpg1_10.jpg

It came with a Rum & Raisin ice cream which didn't appeal to me, so I also ordered some vanilla ice cream to go with it.

Love this review! And your photo style is great ~ is it your camera or software that gives them that vintage quality? Looking forward to your next post. Debbie

Thank you! I actually use an app called KitCam on an almost obsolete iPhone 4. Sadly, the app itself is now obsolete, apparently Yahoo bought it, got rid of it, and then brought out a new one called KitCamera that I don't like as much.

If I change phones, I will have to get the app from it's storage in iTunes and hope it works! It doesn't cope well in some circumstances like the terrible red photos above, or trying to capture cruise ships out at sea in the night, but I do get some really nice pics overall and they print very well too. This is all I use for my travels, no need to lug a camera around anymore! Just a portable charger, iPhone batteries are terrible!

Loving this review, I reckon we got off the Legend the morning that you got on.

Lovely! Did you love Eli & Mason? I though they were great, made for a really fun cruise!

We'll be on the Legend in May to Alaska. Looking forward to it as we've never been on the Legend. Thanks for sharing!

Alaska is a definite bucket list for me! If you see José & Anthony at table 162, please say hello! They were so lovely!

Also, I'm going to assume flat = dead battery? :D Keep on with the Aussie slang - I love learning about sayings in other cultures!

Haha, yes, I didn't even know that is an Aussie term! I went to the US for the first time in January, and having been to Hong Kong, Korea etc, I did not expect to feel like a foreigner in the USA. But I couldn't understand a word you all said ;) . It was so funny, people asking if I want creamer in my coffee and I'm like "um, I don't know what that is.." and she is "oh it's half and half!" and I'm like "I still don't know what that is! ...Do you have milk?". I spent much of the time quite bewildered! But we had a great time and can't wait to go back :)

Thank you so much for this review. We are looking forward to boarding Legend in Honolulu next month for the sailing around the islands and then to Vancouver. I only wish we were retired so that we could sail the repositioning all the way from Sydney! Maybe someday...

Cheers!

Oh that will be lovely! I would dearly love to do Hawaii - Sydney or vice versa, it stops in Tahiti - Bora Bora, Papeete, etc. so nice. But yes, time is an issue, especially with my daughter in her last two years of high school. Enjoy your cruise!

I have a dear friend from HS living and teaching there for 2 years..she is having the time of her life and posting so much. One of my sisters spent 6 months there and was a nanny half of it and her daughter was able to go too on a school trip with my dad as a chaperone....their happiness and memories past and current are in my heart...wonderful country.

Definitely on my bucket list but so far and seemingly overwhelming at this point...thank you thank you thank you for this...it is a sign to me lol...somehow going to make it...so glad it was a great time. I also want any Spirit class ship or that size on another line again so this is nice.

That's so lovely, and yes take it as a sign! :)

I've only sailed Spirit class, but they are a perfect size ship I think, easy to find your way around.

We may have gone to the family comedy before dinner, I'm not quite sure but we often did. This cruise was all Aussie comedians. It's impressive how many shows they put on, it was often two comedians for family show at 7pm and then two late adult only shows, almost every night. There was a lot to do and see on Legend, no complaints at all.

This night the main show was Playlist Productions "Motor City". Aside from guest entertainers, none of the other staff are Australian. Due to tax laws, it's not worth it, so Aussies will work on ships elsewhere. The Playlist cast was mostly from the US and the UK.

Pre-show fun

image.jpg6_4.jpg

Motor City

image.jpg7_4.jpg

Is it just me or did Joe Farkas invent the wifi symbol?

image.jpg8_4.jpg

Struggling to remember seaday 2, but my photos suggests there was a Hairy chest contest (oh dear).

image.jpg9_4.jpg

image.jpg10_3.jpg

The guy on the left won.

I don't think I got any good photos of cruise director Eli, but there he is far left above. He was great. He is a kiwi, and his sidekick was Mason from Atlanta. They were both everywhere all the time, very energetic and enthusiastic.

They are actually moving to the Spirit when the Legend goes to Alaska very soon.

There was also an ice carving demo

image.jpg1_11.jpg

I don't really remember much else, or what the show was, it might have been the magician, who was really good!

We're nearly at the islands! (Are you bored yet?)

But first, dinner.

Daughter had some kind of pear appetizer (I nearly said entree!)

image.jpg1_12.jpg

I had prawn something

image.jpg2_8.jpg

Daughter had some kind of fish

image.jpg3_7.jpg

And weirdly, I also had prawns for main

image.jpg4_7.jpg

Dessert we both had this, some kind of apple with puff pastry and caramel sauce, it was really really good

image.jpg5_7.jpg

Next up, Maré, New Caledonia

Sorry new to cc - how do I subscribe to threads?

I think by either replying to it as you've done, or by clicking on "thread tools" at the very top of a thread, and then click subscribe. You should then get an email notification whenever that thread is updated.

So New Caledonia (Nouvelle-Calédonie) is a group of islands in the South Pacific belonging to France.

When I first went last year, I didn't know what to expect, maybe just a little French influence here and there. Well, it is basically France. Or France with an island theme, more accurately. Everything is French - the language, the food, the cars, the pastries, the baguettes, the cheese! For Aussies wanting French immersion, you can save yourself the 20+ hour flight and just come here.

It is made up of Kanak (original inhabitants), Europeans and Polynesians.

Maré is one of the small islands, and there is literally nothing there but a tin shed supermarket, a school and a community hall. If you're looking for action and adventure, or even a nice pub lunch, this is not for you! It is however, beautiful!

The only thing to do, and the only "shore excursion", is the bus to Yejele Beach, which takes about 20 minutes, and costs AU$20 an adult, $16 a child. Every vehicle on the entire island is used for this on cruise ship days, and you could get anything from a big coach to an old van.

Tendering in Maré:

image.jpg21_2.jpg

Driving to Yejele Beach:

image.jpg20.jpg

image.jpg18_3.jpg

image.jpg19_2.jpg

Yejele Beach:

image.jpg22_2.jpg

Locals will set up stalls along the beach, with hair braiding, food and coconuts. They accept Australian dollars, preferably smaller notes, $5 & $10.

Opposite view:

image.jpg13_2.jpg

image.jpg11_2.jpg

image.jpg12_2.jpg

image.jpg8_6.jpg

image.jpg5_8.jpg

Local houses:

image.jpg10_5.jpg

And lastly, the school, which is near where you tender:

image.jpg1_13.jpg

And that's it for Maré, basically it's a day of swimming, snorkeling, trying local food, and laying on the sand. For me personally, it's a perfect day!

Tomorrow: Vanuatu!

Haha, yes, I didn't even know that is an Aussie term! I went to the US for the first time in January, and having been to Hong Kong, Korea etc, I did not expect to feel like a foreigner in the USA. But I couldn't understand a word you all said ;) . It was so funny, people asking if I want creamer in my coffee and I'm like "um, I don't know what that is.." and she is "oh it's half and half!" and I'm like "I still don't know what that is! ...Do you have milk?". I spent much of the time quite bewildered! But we had a great time and can't wait to go back :)

I would probably confuse you even more - I'm in the South, and our sayings are sometimes even more difficult to grasp if you aren't from here!

Dinner after Maré

I thought I'd try French Onion Soup for the first time in my life.. but no I didn't like it!

image.jpg25.jpg

I also took to having the Market Salad every night, for my veggie intake

image.jpg24.jpg

I had teriyaki salmon, very good

image.jpg22_1.jpg

That nights show was Studio VIP... and yes both my daughter and I were VIP's! I won't spoil it for others, but if they ask you, say yes ;)

image.jpg18_2.jpg

Good morning, Vanuatu

image.jpg1_14.jpg

This was our first time to Vanuatu, and we booked a tour with Atmosphere Tours who come very highly rated on TripAdvisor. They pick you up at the ship, and guarantee to get you back on time. They were fantastic, we had a great day, and the people of Vanuatu are lovely. It was very odd to learn that cannibalism only ended there in 1969! That doesn't feel very long ago!

We first went to a cultural village, a tribe who still live in the traditional way. You must be welcomed by the Chief before being allowed in.

image.jpg16_2.jpg

The banyan tree, this is how they survived Cyclone Pam

image.jpg13_1.jpg

Traditional dance. They also walked over hot coals

image.jpg12_1.jpg

Family

image.jpg15_2.jpg

They were able to take us to a private section of Cascade Falls, through cow paddocks, where we had a lovely time swimming

image.jpg8_3.jpg

image.jpg7_3.jpg

Next we visited Eton School, and these gorgeous kids sang for us

image.jpg5_4.jpg

Followed by the Blue Lagoon... amazing. Daughter kept getting nipped by a feisty crab

image.jpg3_4.jpg

Catching a ride to school, Vila style

image.jpg17_2.jpg

Vila is where you'll want to any duty free shopping, very cheap.

We had lunch at a resort, ate exotic fruits, and learned a lot about the people of Vanuatu, past and present. An amazing place, and an amazing day. We loved every minute.

I think by either replying to it as you've done, or by clicking on "thread tools" at the very top of a thread, and then click subscribe. You should then get an email notification whenever that thread is updated.

Thank you :)

Thank you for your awesome review. Sydney Harbor is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. My late husband took our daughter and I there when she graduated from college. She was a scuba diver and wanted to dive the Great Barrier Reef; he learned to scuba dive, just to be able to dive with her. We had an amazing 2 week stay. Such an amazing place to visit; wish I could go back. Thanks, Shirley

Thanks Tigerlily, enjoying review. I was on that Spirit cruise that was stuck out at sea last April. Carnival dealt with it so well, I was really impressed but had to laugh each morning when we woke up and everything was on the floor. The last few days were pretty rocky. My (now 15yo) son loves the kid's club. We don't see him the entire cruise except at meal time when I force him to eat with us, and on port days because thankfully he too likes to snorkel. He is still in contact with some kids off that cruise.