cab vs shuttle

cruiseagain2

I've only used Super Shuttle and they were fine but I now will get a private car from Execucar which is a subsidiary of Super Shuttle.

Super Shuttle is $32.00 per person. Often you can find a discount coupon to get 10% off.

Private car $76.00 per car not person. You can likely get 10% off too.

This is before tip.

Taxi fare will vary based on time not just miles. I would say $65.00 to $75.00

Another option is Uber.

Keith

I just did a search on Super Shuttle's site to be sure...because Keith's numbers looked off to me...

For TWO persons, LAX to the Carnival pier at Long Beach, total cost $34

For an Execucar Express (no meet and greet--call when you get your bags), it's $61...With Execucar WITH meet and Greet, it's $100...

A taxi is anyone's guess...but certainly will be more than the Execucar Express option...I checked one of those Taxi Fare Estimator sites...and it estimated $77...But, if there's traffic, that meter keeps spinning...

The Uber estimator gives me $31-40...HOWEVER, be fairly wary of that...A couple of weeks ago, when I tried to get an UberX at LAX, all I got was "No UberX Available"...I ended up taking Super Shuttle (which was just fine, except for a small wait)...There is always a big chance that, if you're looking for an Uber at a popular time, it will either be "Surge Pricing" or none available.

So, if you are looking for the best price, use a shuttle service...the downside is that you may waste time waiting for them to fill the van or make additional stops...

If you want convenience and certainty, go with Execucar Express...

If you want a lower price and not shared, but are willing to risk uncertainty, go with Uber...but, be ready to have a second option...

I just did a search on Super Shuttle's site to be sure...because Keith's numbers looked off to me...

For TWO persons, LAX to the Carnival pier at Long Beach, total cost $34

For an Execucar Express (no meet and greet--call when you get your bags), it's $61...With Execucar WITH meet and Greet, it's $100...

A taxi is anyone's guess...but certainly will be more than the Execucar Express option...I checked one of those Taxi Fare Estimator sites...and it estimated $77...But, if there's traffic, that meter keeps spinning...

The Uber estimator gives me $31-40...HOWEVER, be fairly wary of that...A couple of weeks ago, when I tried to get an UberX at LAX, all I got was "No UberX Available"...I ended up taking Super Shuttle (which was just fine, except for a small wait)...There is always a big chance that, if you're looking for an Uber at a popular time, it will either be "Surge Pricing" or none available.

So, if you are looking for the best price, use a shuttle service...the downside is that you may waste time waiting for them to fill the van or make additional stops...

If you want convenience and certainty, go with Execucar Express...

If you want a lower price and not shared, but are willing to risk uncertainty, go with Uber...but, be ready to have a second option...

BruinSteve I did the search to San Pedro and not Long Beach because that is what the OP mentioned in the post.

Now it was early in the morning my time so I may have transposed a number wrong but the OP said San Pedro and not Long Baech.

Keith

BruinSteve I did the search to San Pedro and not Long Beach because that is what the OP mentioned in the post.

Now it was early in the morning my time so I may have transposed a number wrong but the OP said San Pedro and not Long Baech.

Keith

Oops...

However, the numbers for San Pedro are similar...

I think the mistake you made I was referring to was that I think you wrote $32 per person for Super Shuttle. In fact, that's approximately their price for TWO...

I'll run those same numbers using San Pedro:

For TWO persons, LAX to the World Cruise Center, San Pedro, total cost $41 (PrimeTime says $34) (I am a little surprised at Super Shuttle coming up with $41 as, for the longest time, they've always charged $17 per person)

For an Execucar Express (no meet and greet--call when you get your bags), it's $62...With Execucar WITH meet and Greet, it's $91...(PrimeTime GoSedan is $82.54)

That Taxi Fare Estimator site estimated $77.53...But, again, remember, if there's traffic, that meter keeps spinning...

The Uber estimator gives me $29-37...

Edited by Bruin Steve

There were four of us so we used Uber XL. Just under $57. Traffic was heavy and it took an hour to get to the Crowne Plaza (near the pier). I will note that when I opened the app it did say no UberX available...so maybe those aren't common at LAX. The $57 figure covered the Lax charge and was total costs. Hope this is helpful

I just did it again.

Super Shuttle for one passenger shows $32.00 and for two $41.00

Execucar is $91.00 for meet and greet. The reason I had $76.00 earlier was that I had mistakenly done it from port to LAX instead of LAX to port.

Business Express is a smaller vehicle and no meet and greet via Execucar and that is $62.00.

As I mentioned you usually can get a coupon code on line for about 10% off.

Keith

Oops...

However, the numbers for San Pedro are similar...

I think the mistake you made I was referring to was that I think you wrote $32 per person for Super Shuttle. In fact, that's approximately their price for TWO...

I'll run those same numbers using San Pedro:

For TWO persons, LAX to the World Cruise Center, San Pedro, total cost $41 (PrimeTime says $34) (I am a little surprised at Super Shuttle coming up with $41 as, for the longest time, they've always charged $17 per person)

For an Execucar Express (no meet and greet--call when you get your bags), it's $62...With Execucar WITH meet and Greet, it's $91...(PrimeTime GoSedan is $82.54)

That Taxi Fare Estimator site estimated $77.53...But, again, remember, if there's traffic, that meter keeps spinning...

The Uber estimator gives me $29-37...

I too ran the numbers and we are in Sync.

I too was surprised when I posted them for the shuttle.

I prefer Execucar.

I also used the taxi estimator which is how I got what I posted earlier.

At least it's not British Pounds.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier this month my husband, teenage daughter and I flew into LAX the day before our cruise out of San Pedro. We used the shuttle (LAX Flyaway) from the airport. On the way home, we used Uber for the reverse trip.

LAX FlyAway shuttle - cheap, pretty easy

I don't know if our experience will be helpful to you since we didn't go straight to the cruise terminal in San Pedro from LAX but instead a couple miles short of that to the Residence Inn in Long Beach. Even still, since LAX FlyAWAY is so cheap, I wanted to throw it out to you for consideration (if you didn't already know). From the airport three of us took LAX Fly Away shuttle (7.00 per person) to downtown Long Beach. Traffic was light. The Passport bus (free of charge and a block from the shuttle stop) could have taken us the rest of the way to our Long Beach hotel (less than 2 miles)we but didn't think it was practical to get on a bus with all our luggage and we didn't want to sit on the bus that was going to make a dozen or more stops along the way. We opted for a cab, and that cost us under 10.00.

Total cost 31.00

travel time (including waiting for shuttle) 2 hours

Using UberX - cheap, easy, fast

We would have used a cab and LAX FlyAway again to get from San Pedro to Los Angeles, but, out of curiosity, we decided to give Uber a try. As it turned out, it cost the same for us to take UberX and it was faster and easier. To go from the cruise terminal to the Residence Inn LAX, with tip, it was about 32.00. It would have been 6.00 more if we were going to the airport since Uber has to pay a 4.00 fee and the airport is another mile down the road.

Can anyone compare the cost of a cab from LAX to San Pedro and a shuttle? Any difference between Supershuttle and Prime Shuttle. Thanks.

In February I arranged for Super Shuttle to pick us (3) up at the Hilton by the LA airport. Picked us up exactly on time. It cost $54 not including tip. It was fast, the car was immaculate.

The pick up after the cruise was really frustrating and it was due to the driver being unclear as to whether he was picking us up just outside the doors of the terminal or across the street in the median. After half an hour, with phone calls back and forth (GRRRR) he finally got to the terminal door and picked us up. While driving he informed me that the Super Shuttle fee did not include his tip.

It all depends on the driver you get. I would still use the service over a cab because of very poor experiences in the past.