Summit, Select Dining, table for 2

Aldeya

We had a select dining on our recent Equinox cruise and always requested table for 2. The problem was that tables for 2 were so close to each other that it was impossible to have a nice quite dinner.

The tables were literally inches away from each other, three or four in a row.

We are going on Summit in May. Are there any places to request in the Select Dining MDR where a table for 2 wouldn't be on top of each other?

We had a select dining on our recent Equinox cruise and always requested table for 2. The problem was that tables for 2 were so close to each other that it was impossible to have a nice quite dinner.

The tables were literally inches away from each other, three or four in a row.

We are going on Summit in May. Are there any places to request in the Select Dining MDR where a table for 2 wouldn't be on top of each other?

Haven't been on Summit but on other ships the tables are all close together especially in Select dining area. On Millenium we found the best tables were those on the balcony edge overlooking the lower area but you cannot book a table in advance and there are often queues to get a table. Best bet is to go in as late as possible. As for a quiet dinner, no chance ! It's really noisy in there. You could try a speciality dining package for a change, then you would find a quieter more intimate experience.

We had the Select dining on the Summit and found that 2-person tables were generally quite private. Often we were seated at a 2-top right along the railing open to the deck below, with the walkway between us and any other tables. So there might be someone seated directly behind you but not next to you.

We had the Select dining on the Summit and found that 2-person tables were generally quite private. Often we were seated at a 2-top right along the railing open to the deck below, with the walkway between us and any other tables. So there might be someone seated directly behind you but not next to you.

They have actually changed Select and fixed seating area on the Summit. Was just on the Summit and had late seating and all fixed dining is now on the upper floor with select dining below. I think I overheard them say they changed it since there was more demand for Select dining and making the change gave them more room on the main floor.

We were just on the Summit and yes, select is now on the main floor and fixed seating is up above (it was the reverse last Nov), and a lot of the tables for two that we saw were very close together (we didn't see the entire dining room, so there may be better options). Near where we sat, there were 4 tables of two in a row, too close together to walk between, at times they would pull them together to 2 tables of 4.

We were just on the Summit and yes, select is now on the main floor and fixed seating is up above (it was the reverse last Nov), and a lot of the tables for two that we saw were very close together (we didn't see the entire dining room, so there may be better options). Near where we sat, there were 4 tables of two in a row, too close together to walk between, at times they would pull them together to 2 tables of 4.

That's new since the drydock then. We were on b2b the last two before drydock and enjoyed the railing two-tops...we'd eat around 7-7:15 and it was entertaining to watch the changeover from early to late seating going on below. Can understand why they've switched the levels but we'll miss those railing two-tops!

Thank you everyone. I was hoping there is an option for the 2-tops by the railings but apparently this is gone now on Summit.

After our experience on Equinox I don't think we want to go with Special Dining again. The tables were so close to each other that sometimes it felt impolite not to start the conversation with the"tablemates". We heard the same from quite a few couples.

I wonder if it's possible to switch to traditional dining while on board? What are the chances of getting a table for 2 by the railings?

You can certainly switch either now or on board. A call to your TA or Celebrity should do the job. Request a 2 top. Who knows how things are configured now and specific table requests are best on board.

We just returned from the Summit last week. We requested a table for two with Select Dining. The first night, we were seated at a table that was almost touching the next table. It was very uncomfortable. As we left the dining room, we scoped out other tables for two so we could request the location on the next night. I suggest doing that. We found REAL tables for two that we really enjoyed. The waiter and sommelier were also excellent. The tables were next to the wall close to the maître d stand. It is a true table for two. There is no one next to you. Keep in mind: there is a lot of traffic since it is also the walkway for everyone entering/exiting the dining room. We didn't mind this because we like to people watch. We preferred high traffic versus dining so close to other tables. We were able to enjoy the MDR for the rest of our cruise once we found "our spot." I believe the table number was 118. There are 4-5 tables like this. Once you find a table and/or waiter you like, you can request the same each night.

Thank you everyone. I was hoping there is an option for the 2-tops by the railings but apparently this is gone now on Summit.

After our experience on Equinox I don't think we want to go with Special Dining again. The tables were so close to each other that sometimes it felt impolite not to start the conversation with the"tablemates". We heard the same from quite a few couples.

I wonder if it's possible to switch to traditional dining while on board? What are the chances of getting a table for 2 by the railings?

Actually we like the close seating. As you said, it is easy to start a conversation with others, or totally just talk to ourselves if the other table is not inclined to interact. Best of both worlds in our view.

• 2 weeks later...
We just returned from the Summit last week. We requested a table for two with Select Dining. The first night, we were seated at a table that was almost touching the next table. It was very uncomfortable. As we left the dining room, we scoped out other tables for two so we could request the location on the next night. I suggest doing that. We found REAL tables for two that we really enjoyed. The waiter and sommelier were also excellent. The tables were next to the wall close to the maître d stand. It is a true table for two. There is no one next to you. Keep in mind: there is a lot of traffic since it is also the walkway for everyone entering/exiting the dining room. We didn't mind this because we like to people watch. We preferred high traffic versus dining so close to other tables. We were able to enjoy the MDR for the rest of our cruise once we found "our spot." I believe the table number was 118. There are 4-5 tables like this. Once you find a table and/or waiter you like, you can request the same each night.

We had the same experience just returning from probably the same cruise. Most nights we sat at one of the tables along the wall just past the maitre d stand which were private (except for the foot traffic which we didn't mind). Otherwise we had a table a few inches next to another 2 top and it felt more like a group dinner than just a private one.