It's me again, Margaret. 🤔

Toliverair

Even in the very unlikely event someone did have success using an unofficial copy, that doesn't mean you would be successful. It is not an acceptable document, end of story.

You need to get the official certified copy.

Sorry, this is incorrect. The regulations clearly specify an original or copy of a birth certificate may be used and no matter how many different ways people try to parse that statement it means exactly what it says. Why is a photocopy acceptable? Because they are going to be checking with the issuing authority during the cruise to verify that the document in question is authentic. It might be better to have the original when one cruises but having a copy has saved many cruises.

Sorry, this is incorrect. The regulations clearly specify an original or copy of a birth certificate may be used and no matter how many different ways people try to parse that statement it means exactly what it says. Why is a photocopy acceptable? Because they are going to be checking with the issuing authority during the cruise to verify that the document in question is authentic. It might be better to have the original when one cruises but having a copy has saved many cruises.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. I do not believe they are checking document validity during the cruise. What would be the point?

You and others may have been successful with a photocopy. That doesn't make it an acceptable document. Photoshop is an amazing thing, and the CBP knows this.

I would never suggest that someone attempt to travel with only a photocopy. The only proper advice is to do everything possible to obtain the correct form of documentation.

Edited by triptolemus

Please. There is no need to question my reading comprehension. The parenthetical statement "(issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born)" refers to the birth certificate itself, which means you need a state-issued birth certificate as opposed to a hospital-issued birth certificate. The parenthetical statement is not immediately after the word "copy" which would imply the copy itself needs to come from the state. There are many examples on this board including in this thread where the port authority and/or CBP allow U.S. citizens to board closed-loop cruises departing from a U.S. port with a photocopy or faxed copy of a state-issued birth certificate plus other state-issued ID such as a driver's license. I personally don't have to worry about it, as my U.S. passport is good for 8 more years.

Just to be clear, NO ONE has an original birth certificate issued by any state. The governmental agency always keeps the original and NEVER allows it out of its possession. Anything that a person obtains is a copy of the original.

you can get your birth certificate from www.vitalcheck.com very easily and not very expensive.

I got an extra copy before I sent my passport off to be processed.

Bill

OP's problem is one of timing. She can't get what she needs from vitalcheck in the time frame that she needs it.

Unfortunately you are incorrect in your assertion that they check with the issuing authority during the cruise. That simply does not happen. No one has ever brought an original BC on a cruise, every one brings a copy. The question is does the copy have to be certified by the issuing agency or not.

The general rule that the cruise lines want you to believe is that it must be certified by the issuing authority, sometime ICE does not see it that way and accepts a copy that is not certified when you return, but they don't have to do that and can make it difficult and time consuming for you to reenter the country.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. I do not believe they are checking document validity during the cruise. What would be the point?

You and others may have been successful with a photocopy. That doesn't make it an acceptable document. Photoshop is an amazing thing, and the CBP knows this.

I would never suggest that someone attempt to travel with only a photocopy. The only proper advice is to do everything possible to obtain the correct form of documentation.

Unfortunately you are incorrect in your assertion that they check with the issuing authority during the cruise. That simply does not happen. No one has ever brought an original BC on a cruise, every one brings a copy. The question is does the copy have to be certified by the issuing agency or not.

The general rule that the cruise lines want you to believe is that it must be certified by the issuing authority, sometime ICE does not see it that way and accepts a copy that is not certified when you return, but they don't have to do that and can make it difficult and time consuming for you to reenter the country.

Since DHS stated in the answers to the proposed regulations that databases are checked during the cruise I'll rely on that to mean exactly what it means. They certainly have the authority and means to check any government database that they need to in order to vet a passenger. This was one of the rationales they gave for allowing the closed loop exception in the first place.

ICE has nothing to do with any of this, this is all under the control of CBP.

I always encourage people to use their original if they have it available but in the OP's case it's not available, so for the OP it's show up with a copy or not show up. I know what I would do. If you decided to stay home under the same circumstances that would of course be your choice.

NCL has accepted a "faxed" copy of a birth certificate to the port on embarkation day!

I don't know if that means that they will accept a "copy" in this case, but they have done it in the past!

The bottom line is no matter what is sez in the guest contract about acceptable documentation, the person in charge at the terminal when boarding will make the decision.