Fort Lauderdale Residence Inn Airport?

kicker

This seems to be a fairly new property. Rates are reasonable; one TA review mentioned its in a bad area. Anyone familiar with this property? We're there for one night pre-cruise stay, and outside of picking up any forgotten toiletries we'd have no need to go off property anyways.

This seems to be a fairly new property. Rates are reasonable; one TA review mentioned its in a bad area. Anyone familiar with this property? We're there for one night pre-cruise stay, and outside of picking up any forgotten toiletries we'd have no need to go off property anyways.

Yes, just built last year. I do not consider it to be in a bad area and I live here.

Yes, just built last year. I do not consider it to be in a bad area and I live here.

People always have wide opinions on what constitutes a "safe" area, like cruisers who refuse to get off the ship in places like Jamaica or St Thomas.

How about stores/restaurants? We'll probably get in too late for a dinner, but a CVS or Walgreens might be useful. We usually stay at Embassy Suites on 17th, but a fairly new hotel sounds good. Last year we booked Embassy, didn't arrive due to flight delays until 2:30AM - spent about ten hours there total.

People always have wide opinions on what constitutes a "safe" area, like cruisers who refuse to get off the ship in places like Jamaica or St Thomas.

How about stores/restaurants? We'll probably get in too late for a dinner, but a CVS or Walgreens might be useful. We usually stay at Embassy Suites on 17th, but a fairly new hotel sounds good. Last year we booked Embassy, didn't arrive due to flight delays until 2:30AM - spent about ten hours there total.

Closest Walgreens is about 1 1/2 miles. 17th St. location much better choice for shopping.

Closest Walgreens is about 1 1/2 miles. 17th St. location much better choice for shopping.

Thanks for all the info. Yeah, 17th St has Publix, restaurants - I just hate paying an extra $40 or $50 bucks for a hotel if I'm only going to sleep there. I also looked at HIE on 17th, but I think we'll stick with Residence. It's not until Sept, and I might change my mind a hundred times by then!:rolleyes:

The neighborhood is fine, but just plan it so that you don't have to go to the store. If the hotel offers a shuttle to Oakwood Plaza, there is a Kmart there. You can order in food if you don't like what's nearby, but for a fun dinner go to Rustic Inn or The Field. There is also Islamorada Fish or Tropical Acres, but they are not too interesting.

Thanks for all the info. Yeah, 17th St has Publix, restaurants - I just hate paying an extra $40 or $50 bucks for a hotel if I'm only going to sleep there. I also looked at HIE on 17th, but I think we'll stick with Residence. It's not until Sept, and I might change my mind a hundred times by then!:rolleyes:

There is nothing wrong with HIE; most of my out of state friends stay there when they are booking a one or two night precruise.