Crab feast at George Inlet Lodge

MacBraces

I've seen people post that they have done the feast without any other tour.

Does anyone know details on how easily this can be done?

Have read that the Lodge will pick you up at the pier but not sure

if that's still done. Possible cost of a taxi?

Thanks,

Lori

This looks yummy!

We used to be able to get king crab legs nearby. Expensive, but worth it.

Now, it's almost impossible to find them anywhere.

Has anyone eaten here?

Are there whole king crab legs available, by chance?

Or other "whole" chunks of crab?

Any description of the actual food would be appreciated.

Thanks!

This looks yummy!

Are there whole king crab legs available, by chance?

Or other "whole" chunks of crab?

Any description of the actual food would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have eaten the feast on both the flight and catamaran excursions through Holland America.

No king crab, only dungeness crab halves but it is caught hours before it is cooked. The feast serves an appetizer with free alcoholic beverages. DO NOT fill up on the smoked salmon. Save your appetite. After a quick dissection class, half crabs are delivered and you can have as much as you can eat (record is 12 half crabs) for about one hour. It comes with a small salad and a boiled potato. If you still have room, a large slice NY-style cheesecake follows.

My photo review of the feast:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/ketchikan/ketchikan-crab-feasting/

There are many, many steps down to, and up from, the shoreline. Spotted a black bear cub at the shoreline before the staff chased it away.

Do you avoid the many stairs if you go by land instead of boat?

The walk is down from the road from a bus. Tours in vans might be able to bring you down without using the stairs. If you go by boat, you have to both go up and down the stairs. If you go by plane it is either up or down.

They do provide a van for those who cannot do the stairs that will save some walking.

Edited by Crew News

We booked the crab feast and the confirmation says it comes with transportation from the cruise dock, tourist center. It was $69 plus tax pp so it came to $149 for the 2 of us. We are going from 1200 to 2:30.

How far is the lodge from the pier? If you sign up only for the crab feast, does the cost include transportation? There isn't a lot of detail on the website.

Thanks!

The drive b y tour bus is 25 minutes from the pier to the top of the hill overlooking the lodge.

Just booked the Crab Feast the other day for myself and my wife. We'll be going on Sunday May 22 from 12:30 until 3:00. I actually think all of the questions which have been asked here are answered on the website. Except perhaps the questions about the stairs and type of walk. Really looking forward to this. There's nothing quite like fresh dungeness crab straight from the water.

Incidentally, I found their customer service to be really responsive.

Just booked the Crab Feast the other day for myself and my wife. We'll be going on Sunday May 22 from 12:30 until 3:00. I actually think all of the questions which have been asked here are answered on the website. Except perhaps the questions about the stairs and type of walk. Really looking forward to this. There's nothing quite like fresh dungeness crab straight from the water.

Incidentally, I found their customer service to be really responsive.

Gluttony rules!!! so put your fork aside and begin the feast. In spite of all the encouragement of their fellow diners, one couple insisted in using a knife and fork to complete their ONE Dungeness crab half during the allotted time.