Aloha is Love - Review of POA in Hawaii with Pics, Menus & More

sjmbruce

Thanks for the review keep it coming!!! Do you have any of the public spaces, I want to see some of the renovations because I'm travelling on the Dawn after her extensive dry-dock and I'd like to see the color schemes.....and new venues.

I do have some public space pictures. I'm going to try to post the majority of the onboard shots tonight.

Thanks for your excellent trip report. Was there a formal night on this cruise?

They did have a "dress up or not" night. Formal wear wasn't required but I was surprised at how many people dressed up. We didn't bring anything too fancy. I did have a few sundresses and my husband packed tan slacks and a couple of button up dress shirts.

It's a Bell & Howell Splash camera. The batteries last about 40 minutes underwater, it's hard to see the viewer screen when submerged and the farther the distance the grainier the photo. Despite these negatives, for $55 I liked it and will probably bring it snorkeling again in the future.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/24105594?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222017782132&veh=sem

Mahalo! (or " 'preciate it" as I like to say)

Although good pictures, I think the better zoom and screen are in line for me.

An Overview of my Experience on the Pride of America:

Service: The service was fine. Not terrible, not great. Most employees were polite while others couldn't bother with a hello. The worst experience was during an outdoor cookout buffet on the last day. It was all set up, food and all. My husband picked up a plate and started putting food on it. One of the workers started screaming at him "what the hell are you doing? it's not open yet!". The only reply my husband could think of was to ask him how he was supposed to know. The employee then turned around and started yelling at other workers about not watching the buffet. Then there were a few employees that were really friendly and helpful. Overall not a bad experience, just not superb.

Food: The food in the buffet was good, I just didn't think there was much of a variety. There were several serving stations but most of the time food was repeated on each station. This helped with the lines. If you wanted mashed potatoes there were three or four spots with them. Shorter lines but less choice. It was the first time I have struggled to find something to eat. Even as a chocolate lover there were a few nights that none of the desserts looked appetizing. They were also strangely obsessed with mushrooms. Mushrooms everywhere and in everything. I was glad I like mushrooms. The positive news is that the food I did eat was good, although none of it stands out.

The main dining room is something I was looking forward to. We went to Skyline the first night. Long story short, we waited two and a half hours for raw steak and under cooked fish. We heard that the dining room was short 40 staff members. Maybe it got better during the rest of the week, I just couldn't risk it. Over two hours of waiting for horrible food wasn't acceptable and I didn't want to go through it again.

I was also kind of bummed there was a spot with cupcakes and such that were for a fee. The other line I have sailed had more of a selection that was all included and it was nice for a snack.

We also ate at the Cadillac Diner. The atmosphere was fun and the food was decent. I overheard several passengers complaining that the milkshakes were listed without a price on the menu, but actually cost $5.50. Other items on the newer menu had already been changed but not noted. My favorite dessert ended up being here, the brownie cheesecake.

There were seven nights, seven dinners. We ate once at the main dining room, three times at the buffet, and three times at specialty restaurants. Before sailing we had purchased three nights dining at a specialty restaurant, booking at Jefferson's Bistro and Cagney's Steakhouse. The Bistro was amazing. The food was delicious and the staff was attentive. Cagney's was just as good but lacked the atmosphere that the Bistro had. We ended up cancelling our second reservation at Cagney's and changing it to the Bistro. I highly recommend buying the specialty dining, which comes with anywhere from three to seven nights. After seeing how much our menu items added up to, the dining purchase was well worth it. I don't know if NCL is purposely making the food and choices less than stellar in the included dining to persuade passengers to buy the better experience, but it worked on us.

Overall ship: I have two complaints. One is that a few areas appeared to be unfinished, like two different carpets in our stateroom's hallway.

ry%3D400

The other is that different areas of the ship were closed due to continued construction. Decks and portions of decks were roped off and inaccessible. I didn't feel like all of the public areas of the ship were able to be explored or experienced and that was disappointing. Otherwise, the ship was very clean and well laid out. Certain areas were just beautiful, such as Pink's Champagne Bar.

There are areas for improvement, but overall I was generally satisfied with my experience on the ship. I don't know if it made me want to run and book again with NCL, but if the right itinerary came up I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Edited by sjmbruce

I have no idea how to organize my pictures of the ship, so I'll just post as I go. There will probably be a few pictures scattered throughout the remainder of my review as well.

Main pool:

ry%3D400

There will probably also be random pictures of food, as I like to eat :) This is from the buffet on our first day:

ry%3D400

Loungers in their own little area overlooking the pool:

ry%3D400

The same type of lounger area that overlooked the ocean:

ry%3D400

new stairway/elevator carpet:

ry%3D400

Edited by sjmbruce

Go here to look at and order your photos:

ry%3D400

There's a photo number on your ship card. There's a corresponding binder with all of the pictures that have been taken of you on the ship. $24.95 for a single photo, $19.99 for a thumb drive with the images you have purchased. There are packages available as well.

A few shops:

ry%3D400

Hollywood Theater:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Edited by sjmbruce

Was there any night with lobster and shrimp on the main menu?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have five out of the seven menus, including the "formal" night. Shrimp was offered a few times. Lobster was never on the regular menu. Lobster was listed under "plated to perfection", a section that cost extra money. A whole Maine lobster was $24.99

There are more pictures coming, I promise! Unfortunately I am still feeling dizzy from the ship. After being in front of a computer for most of the day at work, there's only so much my brain and eyes can handle in the evening. I'll post more tomorrow :)

The shoe holder I brought has clear plastic pockets. I put it on the outside of the bathroom door. The pockets held a little bit of everything....our cameras when not in use, camera chargers, hair products, costume jewelry/the leis and flowers we had amassed, magazines, sunscreen, bug spray, batteries, toiletries, my husband's electric razor, my hair straightener and more. Basically anything that could fit got organized into its own pocket. It really helped us find everything quickly instead of digging around in drawers.

Thanks for this idea. This should help us stay organized in such a tight area

for three people.

Your photos of the ship are wonderful! Looking forward to reviewing the menus, also. I had not planned on going to many specialty restaurants as on other cruise lines the MDR was fine. After reading your reviews, we may alter our plans for this ship. Sounds like they nickel and dime you on this ship. :(

Leaving tomorrow for Hawaii, POA 4/23 - still haven't booked anything for Maui yet so I'm interested in what you experienced. Have 11 hour direct flight from New York- on Hawaiian airlines- hope they have wifi as my three teenage daughters are coming too

Leaving tomorrow for Hawaii, POA 4/23 - still haven't booked anything for Maui yet so I'm interested in what you experienced. Have 11 hour direct flight from New York- on Hawaiian airlines- hope they have wifi as my three teenage daughters are coming too

We're doing that direct flight on 5/4 from JFK. Unfortunately, HA doesn't have wifi:(

I highly recommend the Sunrise Bike Tour (http://adventuremaui.com/biking_the_volcano.htm). My husband and I did it in November and had a fantastic time. This company did a great job and I felt safe the whole time. The view of watching the sunrise while you are above the clouds was incredible! A must see/experience. And the bike ride was all downhill!

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide such a detailed review of your holiday.

We are booked with friends for next Feb are in the planning stages of what to do at each port as well as in Oahu pre cruise.

Thanks for the information about your experience with Germaine's Luau. I had done this one many years ago and did not have the experiences you had.

Does the cruise line offer a luau in Kauai ? or any other island ? I only ask because I read somewhere on CC that someone had to be back by 4pm for the ships luau at this port.

Hi D & N

We booked a luau on Kauai with Smith's Luau Tours. It is for the first night Thursday and provides a shuttle to and from. We are cruising on POA 5/7 getting close. It was $91 each including shuttle saved money booking on line. It will be our first cruise to Hawaii getting excited! :)

Great, informative pictures and commentary! I'm looking forward to more, including the dailies if you have them.

Thanks for the kind words! I do have the dailies. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get them on my computer and then I'll post them with the review and picture for each day.

The shoe holder I brought has clear plastic pockets. I put it on the outside of the bathroom door. The pockets held a little bit of everything....our cameras when not in use, camera chargers, hair products, costume jewelry/the leis and flowers we had amassed, magazines, sunscreen, bug spray, batteries, toiletries, my husband's electric razor, my hair straightener and more. Basically anything that could fit got organized into its own pocket. It really helped us find everything quickly instead of digging around in drawers.

Thanks for this idea. This should help us stay organized in such a tight area

for three people.

Your photos of the ship are wonderful! Looking forward to reviewing the menus, also. I had not planned on going to many specialty restaurants as on other cruise lines the MDR was fine. After reading your reviews, we may alter our plans for this ship. Sounds like they nickel and dime you on this ship. :(

Food is so subjective but I really do feel like I am not a super picky person. If you don't mind the cost for a dining package, Cagney's & the Bistro were really, really good. I wonder if you can buy the dining package on board? That way you could try the main dining room and if you like it keep on going. If you don't like the food there, it'd be great if you could buy and book specialty dining the first night.

We rented a car in Maui. The first day we drove the Highway to Hana. Upon return, we parked our car at the Mall of Maui, a five minute walk from the pier. The next day we drove up to the top of Haleakala and then spent the rest of the day in Lahaina while leaving some time to swim at one more beach on our way back to the car rental agency. Have a great vacation!