Aloha is Love - Review of POA in Hawaii with Pics, Menus & More

sjmbruce

We would have left too. Don't let the experience turn you off though. Whenever you can return to Hawaii (and if your visit will include a return to Maui), do try either Old Lahaina Luau or The Feast At Lele - both world's apart from Germaine's Luau.

I definitely wouldn't have the one bad experience turn me off from trying another luau. Thanks for the suggestions! We were thinking this was a once in a lifetime trip to Hawaii but by the end we were already discussing which islands to return to on a land trip. Maui is definitely on the list.

Wow 2 hours in traffic?! [emoji47] We were considering this luau but now glad we picked one that's walkable from our hotel.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

After we were picked up there was a second location to gather more guests. Then it was five lanes of bumper to bumper traffic on the highway with our guide yelling into a microphone the whole time. Definitely not enjoyable. A luau that is withing walking distance of your hotel starts off on the right foot. Have fun!

HaHa. Now you know why people warn about the jet lag.:). Despite the warnings, people always think it will last a couple days tops, certainly gone after several! We've found that even well after a week, we still tired easily and were ready for bed very early.

We found the solution to the $$food situation in Hawaii was to find a nice beach bar with good pupus ( appetizers ) during happy hour, which sometimes is all afternoon. Excellent food, a wonderful view, Hawaiian atmosphere and very reasonable prices. Our most delightful evening on Waikiki ( on the entire trip, actually ) was sitting at a table on the lawn at Halekulani's House Without a Key, under a huge tree, watching the graceful swaying of a dancer, live music and the sun setting over the ocean behind them. Just magical. Cost = to the price of anything you order, a couple drinks and an appetizer perhaps.

I'm pretty sure I am still feeling the jet lag, I was in bed by 10:30 last night :eek: Your food solution is perfect and sounds a little like what we experienced our first night at Duke's. Will definitely have to replicate that in the future.

Our beach hopping was interrupted by the scenic views of Makapu'u lookout. This was the picturesque vista I had been searching for!

ry%3D400

I took exactly the same photo and have it set as my cover photo on FB!

It was so beautiful wasn't it? I haven't decided if I should use this as my cover photo or a close up that I took of a painted eucalyptus tree. I may just have to rotate the tons of gorgeous pictures!

Thank you for the great review! We leave in about four weeks and have an almost identical driving tour planned for one of our pre-cruise days! I'm so glad to hear our plan is actually doable!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yay to one month left! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask and I will do my best to answer.

It was finally Saturday morning and time to get on the Pride of America to continue our Hawaiian journey. We ate breakfast in bed, packed our things and checked out of our hotel before calling Citi again for a ride. This time didn't go as smoothly - the first driver didn't show up, the second one was mad that he had to pick a fare up, and we were quoted two different prices. Either way, $15 or $19, it was a flat rate to the pier. In case anyone else is interested, their website is: http://www.citytaxihonolulu.com/ and their phone number is 808-524-2121.

Before we made the final turn to the pier, we caught a red light but could see the POA. It was time!

We were dropped off at the pier a little after noon. We gave our bags to be loaded and headed towards security to have our first experience with port authority. Every single time was super negative. Not a big deal, I've just never dealt with such outright rudeness at a port. After security, we walked into a huge room to check in with NCL. Before getting in line there were people dressed in Hawaiian attire handing out flower leis to the women and shell leis to men.

ry%3D400

I totally stole that from the internet but it's the same flower leis they were handing out. I was so happy as I didn't want to buy something that would quickly die but having the fresh, fragrant flowers around my neck added to the embarkation. We checked in and were on board by 1:00. We found our way to the buffet for lunch. It was busy but we were able to find a table and enjoy our food.

After lunch I dropped my husband off at a lounger by the pool so I could run around and take pictures of the ship. They made announcements about which floors had staterooms ready and ours was one of the last, available around 3:00. My first thought was this room is so.incredibly.small. We started unpacking and organizing. I brought an over the door shoe hanger to put on the bathroom door. It was so helpful and I am happy I brought it. We also asked the room steward for more hangers. They wouldn't take the items from the mini bar, they either had to be in the refrigerator or sit on a shelf - not very handy when trying to create as much space as possible.

Here's room 8037:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Closet on the right, bathroom door is to the left:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

storage space in the closet:

ry%3D400

Edited by sjmbruce

We were barely in the room so I am happy we booked an inside. I had booked a guarantee and had been assigned a room capable of housing three people, so there was a bed on the wall for a possible third person. Even though it was hooked in its unused position, it was in the way of the person sleeping next to it. I slammed my shoulder into it a few times. I had booked a guarantee, next time I would chose a stateroom without extra beds in it.

ry%3D400

What I did like was this outside the door:

ry%3D400

You could spin the yellow tag that says welcome to also say do not disturb, make up cabin, or turn down service.

After lunch I dropped my husband off at a lounger by the pool so I could run around and take pictures of the ship. They made announcements about which floors had staterooms ready and ours was one of the last, available around 3:00. My first thought was this room is so.incredibly.small. We started unpacking and organizing. I brought an over the door shoe hanger to put on the bathroom door. It was so helpful and I am happy I brought it. We also asked the room steward for more hangers. They wouldn't take the items from the mini bar, they either had to be in the refrigerator or sit on a shelf - not very handy when trying to create as much space as possible.

Here's room 8037:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Closet on the right, bathroom door is to the left:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

storage space in the closet:

ry%3D400

I am enjoying reading about your cruise. Thank you. We are a family of three and appreciate any organizational ideas, since the cabins are tiny. What did you store in the over the door shoe holder, besides shoes?

The best part of the snorkeling was a mama turtle and her baby. I didn't get a decent picture of them as they spent most of their time at the bottom, but it was amazing to watch them. At one point, she put her flipper over baby's shell as if hugging. I had bought a cheaper underwater camera to try out on this trip. The pictures weren't great from a far distance but I still managed a few good shots when the turtles were closer to the surface. <br />

What cheap camera did you use? 😉

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

. They wouldn't take the items from the mini bar, they either had to be in the refrigerator or sit on a shelf - not very handy when trying to create as much space as possible.

That is weird - they took everything out of ours - and everything from the frig totally out of the room - I wonder if it depends on who is cleaning your room?

Thank you so much for the photos of the inside cabin. That is what we're cruising in, and it's so hard to find reviews from people that have sailed inside.

I couldn't find any pictures of an inside cabin when I was planning so I knew I needed to take some. I'm glad they are of use!

hope you will post more pictures,,, we are on it next January...do you have menu's for thanks for all your hard work on this review

Yes I will be posting a lot more, including most main dining menus and a few specialty dining menus. Thanks for reading :)

I am enjoying reading about your cruise. Thank you. We are a family of three and appreciate any organizational ideas, since the cabins are tiny. What did you store in the over the door shoe holder, besides shoes?

Thanks for reading! When we first got into our room with our bags, we split the spaces (drawers, shelves, ect) so we'd each have our own area. Although it uses up some time initially, I always put everything away, hang clothes up and organize that first day. It saves time and frustration later on.

The shoe holder I brought has clear plastic pockets. I put it on the outside of the bathroom door. The pockets held a little bit of everything....our cameras when not in use, camera chargers, hair products, costume jewelry/the leis and flowers we had amassed, magazines, sunscreen, bug spray, batteries, toiletries, my husband's electric razor, my hair straightener and more. Basically anything that could fit got organized into its own pocket. It really helped us find everything quickly instead of digging around in drawers.

Edited by sjmbruce

The best part of the snorkeling was a mama turtle and her baby. I didn't get a decent picture of them as they spent most of their time at the bottom, but it was amazing to watch them. At one point, she put her flipper over baby's shell as if hugging. I had bought a cheaper underwater camera to try out on this trip. The pictures weren't great from a far distance but I still managed a few good shots when the turtles were closer to the surface. <br />

What cheap camera did you use?

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

It's a Bell & Howell Splash camera. The batteries last about 40 minutes underwater, it's hard to see the viewer screen when submerged and the farther the distance the grainier the photo. Despite these negatives, for $55 I liked it and will probably bring it snorkeling again in the future.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/24105594?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222017782132&veh=sem

Thanks for reading and enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the review keep it coming!!! Do you have any of the public spaces, I want to see some of the renovations because I'm travelling on the Dawn after her extensive dry-dock and I'd like to see the color schemes.....and new venues.

That is weird - they took everything out of ours - and everything from the frig totally out of the room - I wonder if it depends on who is cleaning your room?

It must depend on the person. Ours took it out of the refrigerator and left it on the shelves, then told us the items couldn't leave our room. Probably meant less work that way. It wasn't a big deal, just took up precious space.