Venice Marco Polo Airport to Santa Lucia Train Station

ninefishes

Hi,

Wonder if anyone has done this. We are going to arrive in Venice airport at 7:30am, then take a train from Venezia Santa Lucia to Rome. Could anyone tell me how long it takes from airport to the train station? I can't decide whether to book the train ticket at 9:23am or 10:23am.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you're starting at the airport, might as well just use Mestre rather than go all the way to Santa Lucia, for which the last part of the journey would have to be on foot.

I suppose there's a good reason you're not flying into Rome?

Yes, depart from Mestre rather than Santa Lucia. It won't change your options as all of the high speed trains from Santa Lucia also stop at Mestre.

The bigger issue is why you are worrying about this ahead of time. It's good to know what your options are but it's not wise to buy a train ticket in advance for a trip that immediately follows a flight. You have no control over the time you (and your luggage) will be able to get to the station and as the discounted tickets are non-refundable and non-exchangeable (Economy tickets can be changed but only BEFORE the train departs, so if you are late this won't help you).

Therefore, if you miss the train with economy or super economy tickets you will lose everything you spent on the tickets plus pay for full fare, last minute tickets.

Even if you pay for the full fare (Base) ticket you only have one hour after the departure of the train to make a change. If your flight is delayed more than that, once again you've lost all the money.

To be sure 10:23 is fine unless plane is delayed really badly. Venice VCE is relatively small airport so going thru passport control and collecting luggage shouldn't take more than 1 hr (and actually less). Take ATVO express bus to Mestre station here is schedule http://www.atvo.it/allegati/aeroporti/linea_35_b_-_mestre_fs-m.polo_dal_27.03.2016_al_28.05.2016.pdf. Trip is 17 min

I always buy super economy at 60-70% discount and take my chances. Also if you have CC that offers trip interruption insurance you can buy full fare ticket and claim it in case of major delay. Another option to consider is fairly frequent and inexpensive Alitaila O/W flights from VCE to FCO.

Thanks everyone for the quick response. :)

We are taking a HAL Mediterranean 12-day cruise round trip Venice. DH and DD have never been to Italy (I went there long time ago when they were still using Lira as currency), so we decided to go to Rome and Florence 8 days pre-cruise. We redeemed our airline points for tickets and somehow they couldn't book us in/out Italy from different airports this time.

That's why we can't fly into Rome directly...

I will look into Maestro station for a change. Thank you again for all the help!