What's the best Alaskan cruise?

Boitexan

:rolleyes: We are a group of 10 couples who want to take a 7 day Alaskan cruise in the summer of 2006. I'm trying to get info together to present to the others and thought there'd be no better group to ask than those of you who've "been there, done that". All in our group are past cruisers but none have been on an Alaskan cruise. What would you suggest for a cruise line, ship, departure city, etc? Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Are you considering a 7 day round trip from Vancouver or a one way to Whittier. R/T are less costly but you don't get to see as much. Almost all stop at Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau, but you shouldn't miss the glaciers at Glacier Bay or Hubbard. With a oneway, you can add on a few days in Alaska to see Anchorage, Whittier, Homer, Denali or Fairbanks. As wrp96 writes, it's all in the amount you want to spend.

Take the optional tours for whale watching or helicopter to a glacier...awesome!

Best thing to do is research the cruise line websites for itinereries and prices, even the shore excursions.

Alaska is one of my favorite places.

We were a group of 3 couples, just like you, experienced cruisers, but Alaskan rookies.

We ended up on the Coral Princess. All had mini suites. Went northbound Vancouver to Whittier (Anchorage). Spent a few days in Vancouver beforehand.

All agreed it was wonderful. Did much as a group, but also went our separate ways in ports.

Two items I would stress. 1) Allocate lots of $$$ for the excursions. So much to see, so much to do. After spending many hours on these boards, I had the confidence to book several excursions with independent operators that were recommended by others on these boards. That was a great decision. 2) Read these boards. Tons of great info can be gained, and the folks are most generous with their time and knowledge. I’m still a novice, but you will come to recognize Budget Queen, Yukon, and a few others who really know, and are most willing to share their experience and knowledge.

You may wish to read a few Trip reports for detail. Mine is at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=217294.

If at all possible, get a cruise with a Naturalist on board – they all do not have them. Also, I would make Glacier Bay a high priority on your ship’s itinerary. Again, they don’t all go there.

I could go on and on, but really I’m just envious. It will be a while before we go back to Alaska, as we have other priorities, but we do plan on returning. As many who have been there / done that like to say: Alaska is not a one time trip.

Having planned a group last yr to the Carib and tried to plan one to Alaska - this is what I found. Alaska is a costly cruise - between airfare and excursions the price adds up quickly. Since you are planning a large group - a RT Seattle may work well for all since airfare to Seattle is less then airfare to Alaska or Canada. Several lines sail out of Seattle - so next question is what type of "crowd" are you. If you want an active nightlife - try Carnival or Royal Caribbean. A more traditional cruise experience - Holland America. A little of both - Princess. Leaving from Seattle offers the more popular ports - Juneau, Ketchikan, Vancouver and a Glacier visit - so you get a good taste of Alaska. This is what we did this past summer and had what we think was the best cruise to date of 7 we have been on. So much so that we are going back in 06 - but strating out in Anchorage this time.

Any questions - keep em coming!!!!!!

Bob :) and his 10 yr old daughter Madison ! :rolleyes:

What I suggest first so to narrow down your search- determine HOW long and if a budget cap on costs???

A round trip Vancouver is just excellent, one ways great with added time for Interior Alaska touring, I am a firm believer in making the most of the trip and would never do a cruise only one way, my opinion only.

Several factors to consider, ports, time in ports, route, glacier, price. Budget fully for costly excursions, you get only half a trip without them. :)

I have a wonderful CC group cruise planned next year, just excellent with 2 glacier sailings. :) http://cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=87

Having planned a group last yr to the Carib and tried to plan one to Alaska - this is what I found. Alaska is a costly cruise - between airfare and excursions the price adds up quickly. Since you are planning a large group - a RT Seattle may work well for all since airfare to Seattle is less then airfare to Alaska or Canada. Several lines sail out of Seattle - so next question is what type of "crowd" are you. If you want an active nightlife - try Carnival or Royal Caribbean. A more traditional cruise experience - Holland America. A little of both - Princess. Leaving from Seattle offers the more popular ports - Juneau, Ketchikan, Vancouver and a Glacier visit - so you get a good taste of Alaska. This is what we did this past summer and had what we think was the best cruise to date of 7 we have been on. So much so that we are going back in 06 - but strating out in Anchorage this time.

Any questions - keep em coming!!!!!!

Bob :) and his 10 yr old daughter Madison ! :rolleyes:

These factors on the cruiselines is not a feature of Alaska cruises. Middle aged and above is still the norm on all lines. You will NOT find a more active nightlife on Carnival compared to any others. Carnival is also a line with a ship naturalist which is a big feature. They do a great job in Alaska actually.

Round trip Seattle has to make their foreign port stop in Victoria, not Vancouver. Frequently this is only a brief stop not allowing much touring options. It is very easy to transfer to/from Vancouver if you fly into/out of Seatac. Routings of Seattle sailings have more open ocean sailing compared to round trip Vancouver for the majority.

These factors on the cruiselines is not a feature of Alaska cruises. Middle aged and above is still the norm on all lines. You will NOT find a more active nightlife on Carnival compared to any others. Carnival is also a line with a ship naturalist which is a big feature. They do a great job in Alaska actually.

Round trip Seattle has to make their foreign port stop in Victoria, not Vancouver. Frequently this is only a brief stop not allowing much touring options. It is very easy to transfer to/from Vancouver if you fly into/out of Seatac. Routings of Seattle sailings have more open ocean sailing compared to round trip Vancouver for the majority.

what are the possibilites for transferring from seattle to vancouver??? rental car or is there some other method??? what is the easiest and/or most economical?? thanks

what are the possibilites for transferring from seattle to vancouver??? rental car or is there some other method??? what is the easiest and/or most economical?? thanks

One way car rental, National, Hertz, Avis, Budget Alamo. Allow 4 hours, I like to overnight in Bellingham Wa. then just about an hour to Vancouver, and time for some sightseeing.

Quick Shuttle, Amtrak, cruiseline transfer. You need an extra day and no return Seattle flights before 3pm

Archived