Thank goodness X doesn't....

Danno

...I'm pounched on for being grateful X doesn't have a lot of, pax who are hard on staff, those who get too drunk and take over beaches, announcements that invade my cabin to advertise cruise line revenue generators (bingo)...

I find it interesting that X shared their pax roster and employee listing with you for each of their ships that they send out. Please advise of the summer sailings next year so I can assure myself to experience what you describe.

I didn't realize such microcozms still existed!

Thanks for all the kind words...glad you all found time to take me, my original post, AND yourselves, all way too seriously.

Plan for the day:

Make condescending statements, some about lines/ships I haven't travelled on.

Recoil in horror when I'm not universally applauded.

Defend statements and call detractors inane.

Lacking a defense, tell detractors they take themselves too seriously.

Plan for tomorrow:

Rethink my planned "who do you like best on the internet thread."

So what kind of vacation is that, doing axels and camels all day long. Not much.

Well now that you mention it Arizona, I'm glad that there is no skating too!! I don't skate (big klutz...very non-athletic, sadly) BUT I love, love, love to watch someone else skate and if you were doing axles and camels all day long, I'd be watching you all day long and what kind of cruise would THAT be?

(please insert wink smilie here...for some reason my smilies are absent today and I've already been white screened. I thought these boards were fixed??)

Seriously, I like traditional ships as well.

As far as the barfing in shoes as mentioned by another poster...much of that has to do with age, don't you think? Unless I'm way off, haven't any of you X cruisers been young, stupid and barfed someplace before or am I the only one? (insert embarrassed smilie there)

Although I would like to add, that didn't happen too many times. Barfing is NOT enjoyable....ewwwwww. But I do have days where I'd love to be young and stupid again, {sigh} if only for a few hours (I don't think my aging body could take more than that...insert wink)

We didn't use the ice rink on our ship because we live in a city with a canal that freezes every winter. We can skate for about 8 miles (and Mike makes me do it) so there is little thrill to doing that in the Caribbean. That said, there were lots of folk who had never skated who were thrilled by this.

I've always cruised on the smaller more intimate ships, but with ships getting bigger and bigger, the smaller ships get bigger too. The old Rotterdam seemed huge to me, and the Mercury seemed enormous. The Infinity may even be overwelming, but I'm giving it a try because I like Celebrity and liked the itenerary.

I think the reason I like the smaller ships is because we so much enjoy getting to know our fellow passengers. On a smaller ship you will bump into the same people.

I even miss the days when there was one central lounge. Late diners gathered there for music, appetizers, drinks and dancing before dinner, and early diners afterwards. The shows were also in this lounge. It just made for a more intimate experience with fellow passengers.

I think I would feel lost on a big mega ship, and although I live in a small town now, I came here from Dallas, a huge town. The mega ships have lots of activities, but even in Tucson (near where I live), I can do most of those activities. There is ice skating, rock climbing, and mini golf on a mega ship, but also even in the mid size city of Tucson. I'll probably go on a mega ship some day, but my first choice would probably be the smaller ships.

I have heard the shows are bigger and better on the mega ships, MIL loved the Ice Show on one of the RCCL Voyager Class ships, but the Ice Shows come to Tucson too.

Just a comparison, not mean in anyway as slam to the mega ships, but just expressing why I prefer a smaller ship. I hope I will always have an affordable choice.

I think you might like a big ship, Suzanne, if you can stay off the ice! Sure, there are lots of activities that you have at home but most towns have restaurants, dancing, art and cocktails and they are highlights of a cruise for most. I loved the big broadway show on Navigator but, to be fair, their impersonator was one of the worst I have ever seen. His female voices all sounded like Arron Neville. His Arron Neville, oddly, sounded like Kermit the Frog. Truly AWFUL. That said, we thought that most of the entertainment was wonderful.

MIL wants to take all of her family on a cruise for our next family reunion. Since she will probably be footing at least 1/2 th bill, I would think that the ship and itenerary would be her choice. If she chooses a Voyager class ship, then this will be a great opportunity to give it a try. Our group has 7 adults and 5 children.

The nice thing about going with a big group on a big ship is that we could hang together when we want and do our own thing when we want. Kids would have plenty to do.

Last family reunion was 5 days at Disney World. It was fun, but you really have to go, go, go the whole time in order to really get your money's worth.

I have never sailed Carnival, but I have done RCI and HAL.

The worst drunks I ever encountered were on Celebrity.

It was a table of late twenties and thirty somethings on our last Summit cruise.

They came in to dinner rip roaring drunk every night.

One evening one of the women circled the table on her knees with straws stuck up her nose.

The others all thought this was great fun.

So it can happen anywhere.

On one of the excursions, we also shared a beach with Carnival passengers.

They were having fun. Not obnoxious fun. Not drunken fun. Just plain fun.

The boors in the Summit dining room could have taken a lesson from them.

celtic

You are quite welcome. It was one of the oddest things I have ever seen.

We normally just tried to shut out the uproar from that table, but that performance was over the top.

I think there were a lot of people just sitting there with their mouths open that evening.

BTW. Found out later the woman was a British cop.

Who ever said the Brits were stuffy and reserved never met this particular bobbie.

celtic

Thank goodness X does not have a kiddie pirate parade through the formal dining during dinner.

I always have found that to be innappropriate.

Who does that? Never heard of that one. I just don't care for the pirates, period.

That has got to be the #1 dumbest thing ever created just to sell more cheesy pictures. And people actually buy them.

celtic

Hey---we all missed "talk like a pirate day". Darn.

cs

Who does that? Never heard of that one. I just don't care for the pirates, period.

That has got to be the #1 dumbest thing ever created just to sell more cheesy pictures. And people actually buy them.

celtic

Hey---we all missed "talk like a pirate day". Darn.

cs

RCI marches all of their "Adventure Ocean" kids through the main dining room during dinner one evening. I am sure that many folks find it cute but I would prefer this is kept to the kids club or casual areas.

RCI marches all of their "Adventure Ocean" kids through the main dining room during dinner one evening. I am sure that many folks find it cute but I would prefer this is kept to the kids club or casual areas.

They may have stopped this. On our Navigator cruise in april, they had a children's pirate parade but it was one afternoon and happened in the Royal Promenade.

If you are sick of it, think how the poor crew must feel. Cruise after cruise of little pirates taking over the dining room at dinner.

BTW, my then 7 year old thought it was fun, 9 year old hated it.

Thank goodness X does not have a kiddie pirate parade through the formal dining during dinner.

I always have found that to be innappropriate.

My Carnival cruises must have been through the Twilight Zone. :p A Kiddie parade is another thing I have never experienced on any of my cruises....maybe because I always choose late seating??????:confused:

All I know is that I have no complaints. I always have a good cruise. No one has ever thrown up on or near me, no one has ever been obnoxious and other than a few adults who don't discipline their kids, my cruises have been prefect. It would take a lot to turn any cruise into a negative experience for me.

LOL.... Low blow....

Temperature...Down....

:D ...North Bay....the name makes it sound worse than it is. In fact, find it on a map, not really further North than you...however, no earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, terrorists...great lake to sail on, good schools and safe streets....I'm grateful to be here most every day.

My Carnival cruises must have been through the Twilight Zone. :p A Kiddie parade is another thing I have never experienced on any of my cruises....maybe because I always choose late seating??????:confused:

All I know is that I have no complaints. I always have a good cruise. No one has ever thrown up on or near me, no one has ever been obnoxious and other than a few adults who don't discipline their kids, my cruises have been prefect. It would take a lot to turn any cruise into a negative experience for me.

RCI is Royal Caribbean, not Carnival.

Frankly, the dining room experience is so loud on Carnival I would not have noticed a parade of junior pirates parading through the room. Between the announcements and dancing waiters, there was already waaaaaayyyy too much noise for me!

RCI is Royal Caribbean, not Carnival.

Frankly, the dining room experience is so loud on Carnival I would not have noticed a parade of junior pirates parading through the room. Between the announcements and dancing waiters, there was already waaaaaayyyy too much noise for me!

Yes..I didn't see that it was RCI and not Carnival you were talking about until after I posted. I just assumed you meant Carnival because I know how much you dislike the line.

I guess we were fortunte on our last cruise we weren't in the main dining room, we were off the main room in a much smaller dining room that had tables for large groups. There were at max about 80 people in there. It was lovely...and everyone was dressed formally including a two year old little boy in a tux who was gorgeous, and became better looking every day because he never pepped during a meal the entire week. Like I said before, at least on the Miracle, there are virtually no announcements made, none during dinner...although we were serenaded one night by the Maitre'd who had a fabulous singing voice and was a pleasure to listen to.

As for the dancing waiters, I'd certainly prefer not to have it but it doesn't ruin my cruise. ;)

Archived