Social Media plan

E&B

I've been hoping the Hub App will roll out to the Magic before our August 6th cruise, but it doesn't look like Carnival is in a rush to roll it out. I love my Facebook, but am perfectly willing to do without it for a week, or just hop on when we get wifi in port.

My big concern is being able to reach each other onboard. There are 5 of us, myself DH and three young adults ages 18 and 21. I know we can use post-its and notes, but I had a bad experience on our last cruise (NCL) where this just didn't work. DH was holding my bag with my sign and sail card in it and wandered off. It took me three hours of vacation time trying to hunt him down. Luckily after an hour and a half I went to guest services and pleaded my case and they issued me a new card so I could get into the cabin and buy a very expensive drink so I was calm by the time I finally found DH.

I'm thinking the social media package might be worth it for this. $125 is a fair price to pay to avoid three hours of wasted vacation time. What app do you use as part of that plan to get the most timely texts/messaging? I think I read that Facebook Messenger doesn't work that well and can be delayed.

I used Facebook Messenger and never had a problem with it, messages sent and received with no delay. I had the Social Media plan for my recent 10 day cruise in the South Pacific, ie quite remote, and it worked great, it was (surprisingly) as fast as using it at home on wifi.

On the Breeze, the social media plan worked great. We used FB messenger to "text" each other on the ship the whole 8 days, and it worked without a hitch.

I heard people saying they had bought the chat feature of the Hub app and were having problems with it--we didn't see a need for the Hub chat since we all had FB and could use messenger. Works great as long as everyone in your party has the FB Messenger app on their phones.

Our next cruise is on the Magic, and I also hope they roll it out to the Magic soon.

On the Breeze, the social media plan worked great. We used FB messenger to "text" each other on the ship the whole 8 days, and it worked without a hitch.

I heard people saying they had bought the chat feature of the Hub app and were having problems with it--we didn't see a need for the Hub chat since we all had FB and could use messenger. Works great as long as everyone in your party has the FB Messenger app on their phones.

Our next cruise is on the Magic, and I also hope they roll it out to the Magic soon.

Hey! We have similar user names. :D

Edited by Cruise-Crazy

I had the social media plan (well the plan above it) on our cruise for march break on the conquest. It was spotty at best. When it did work it was slower than if I was home with my own wifi.

I would probably get it again, but I am aware of its limitations.

I have used the social media package on the Paradise and the Pride. Both times it was AWESOME! Messanger worked almost instantly, both for sending messages home, and also for keeping up with people I was cruising with. I also have used the calling feature to make short phone calls to home. It is delayed a little but that's cool. last cruise on the Pride I was even able to make a video call! It's a great bargain and much cheaper than what other cruise lines offer. in fact, I take this into account when looking at cruise prices cause sometimes it can cost $100 more on other lines.

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

I second the whatsapp! We just got off Ecstasy and it worked great, not only for keeping in touch with each other on the boat but our kids and friends at home. All they have to do is download the app. Have fun!!!!:D