Vanilla from Cozumel

minnesotagirly

I saw a posting from JH about purchasing vanilla when in Cozumel. We will be taking our second cruise there in February . Wondering how I didn't know about this earlier, lol. Where should I go to purchase my vanilla? What brand should I buy? Since we will be flying back home what size bottle can be brought on the plane or would it be smarter to ship it home? Hope this isn't too many questions, thanks in advance for your response!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I saw a huge post about this somewhere in the PORT OF CALL threads - a lot of people have different suggestions on where to purchase and what to look out for (a chemical that some use to extract the vanilla apparently is harmful)

There are lots of brands. Make sure it is labeled No courmarin, which some vanillas used to contain. You can get clear vanilla and the regular vanilla. I've bought some at Los Cinco Soles and other places. The only way you can carry it on a plane now is if it is 3 ounces or less. I usually bring bubble wrap and a large Ziploc bag and put it in my checked bag. One quart bottle will usually last me a couple of years and I bake a lot! It's very strong and you might even find yourself using less than usual in a recipe. Also look about buying vanilla beans. Here in the US, 2 beans will run you about $10. You can get way more for way less in Mexico.

As long as the vanilla extract is a minimum of 35% alcohol and 100g. per liter of vanilla beans it will pass any USA FDA regulation. Ethyl alcohol is ethyl alcohol...used in all alcoholic drinks, I believe.

??Why do "conspiracy" theories about everything purchased abroad seem to raise their heads on this site?

??Why do "conspiracy" theories about everything purchased abroad seem to raise their heads on this site?

and why do posts that have nothing to do with Carnival Cruise Line get posted on this forum?

I saw a huge post about this somewhere in the PORT OF CALL threads - a lot of people have different suggestions on where to purchase and what to look out for (a chemical that some use to extract the vanilla apparently is harmful)

Thanks for the tip, I'll look there for more info!

From the TSA website Liquids Rule

"You are allowed to bring a quart-sized bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes in your carry-on bag and through the checkpoint. These are limited to travel-sized containers that are 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less per item."

I bought a 6 pack of 3.38 oz bottles of vanilla for $15 in Cozumel in the store you walk through to get back on the ship. That's after you pass through Mexican security.

I bought vanilla at Cinco Soles in Mexico. I just used it. it is great!!!

Yes, per above ^^, Cinco Soles can be trusted to sell a quality product. :) Beware of buying vanilla from a street vendor.

I third Cinco Soles, that's where I got mine, which was a gift for my mom and she LOVES it, even over another brand she'd been using for years. I also liked the fact that Cinco Soles salespeople were helpful and not at all pushy and actually let us look around without pushing us to look at or buy something we had no interest in.

We got ours at Los Cinco soles as well. Their house brand. As long as you get the courmarin free variety with a high alcohol content, you are good to go. I compared the Los Cinco house brand against others and their ingredient list was by far the best. Only a few ingredients and all pronoucable too.

When you first open the bottle back home and smell the aroma, you will wonder how you baked all those years with that imitation crap!

• 2 weeks later...
I saw a posting from JH about purchasing vanilla when in Cozumel. We will be taking our second cruise there in February . Wondering how I didn't know about this earlier, lol. Where should I go to purchase my vanilla? What brand should I buy? Since we will be flying back home what size bottle can be brought on the plane or would it be smarter to ship it home? Hope this isn't too many questions, thanks in advance for your response!

I get mine for the grocery store they have in downtown Cozumel. Much cheaper than in the duty free shops and other stores in town. I plan on getting about 5 or 6 bottles when I go in August for my friend that bakes