Check-in?

rrw6

Well, the answer is yes but it is at your own risk because NCL may begin to enforce the "check in" time like other cruise lines without warning.

The check in time is used to help the arrival flow of passengers for safety, vehicle traffic flow, security points, lines, porters, crowd control, etc.... currently NCL does not require you to respect that time.

I did hear, when I cruised out of NYC in March, that Manhattan Cruise Terminal Management may in fact begin requiring it to be used because people are showing up before the Terminal actually opens.

Edited by esm54687

They will have to "tweak" it somewhat if they want to enforce it!

Example:

Passenger #2 completes checkin online and picks 9:30 to 10:00 arrival!

Passenger #1 checks in online a few weeks later (waiting for pass port) and

gets the 1:00 to 1:30 time slot. Because that's all that is left!

Will they enforce it for 1 passenger on a "reservation"?

Same situation for cabin with 4 passengers 4 different check in times!

They need to set it up for a single check in time for all passengers on a single

EDOC!

No big deal now, but when they start to enforce it..............?

And what would happen if you arrived after your schedule time? Be made to wait until everyone else has boarded? Or be denied boarding? :eek:

In Seattle, they turned people away at the door and asked them to come back at their allotted time. I had 9:30am-10:00am so I was fine. Doesn't seem like this is happening everywhere (no one was being turned away at Port Canaveral last December as far as I could tell), but it certainly was for my Alaska cruise last summer.

Edited by money007penny
update

I had a different issue with check-in. I was in the first 9:30 group for Boston last Fall. My husband and I were literally the 2nd people in line to go in the door. Was greeted by a staff member who asked me if I had cruised with NCL before. I stated no, it was my first. I was given 17 as a boarding number. Now as a first time NCL guest I was not expecting to be in the first group even though I was there early. I get that.... but was at least expecting 5 or 6. I mentioned this at the desk and the lovely woman looked at my number with disgust, walked away and spoke to someone and came back with a 3 for me. Was very happy and know for next time just to say, yes I have sailed with you before,, this is my 6th cruise. Just not mention its not my 6th with NCL.

Do they only assign boarding times on the larger ships? Im looking at my Edocs and do not see any specific boarding time. All I see is that boarding begins at 12pm.

If you are in the Haven or have a Suite, you check in when you get there, due to priority boarding.

So I have printed my edocs for my May 8th cruise and I can't find a boarding time anywhere. Any clues where I could find it?

It depends on the port \ ship or any combo of those two that will dictate the "check-in" time. Some ports require it regardless of size of ship and some ports just require it if the ship has "x" amount of passengers. For example, my NYC to Bahamas on the Breakaway requires me to choose a "check-in' time however Boston to Bermuda on the Dawn does not.

You would have chosen your "check-in" time during your online processing and it is located on your eDocs under "Guest Details" next to your name, latitude info, etc. If there is no "the time you have selected to arrive at the pier" then you should follow the normal guidelines for that pier.

I know this seems that I am micro-managing words but there is a HUGE difference between "check-in" and "boarding time".

As far as multiple people travelling in same stateroom.... they would allow all guests to check in at the same time because there are logistics for that stateroom (credit card assignment, pictures for ship credentials, authorized charging to stateroom account, etc).... but they would probably enforce the check in time if they had independent staterooms (similar to what Southwest Airlines will do.... if you are travelling on same reservation number, all can check in together but if you are travelling together but separate reservation then someone is in Group A and the others could be in Group C).

You don't need a passport to do the pre "check-in" on line.... you can begin that months in advance and choose the "check-in" time and then just go back to edit the "citizenship" info, etc so if someone waits until they get a passport in hand and is stuck with an 11:30am check in time....

Bocadude85... "boarding begins at 12" means that is when they begin the process to board the ship. At "check-in", you will be given a piece of paper with a number on it, this is your "boarding" group and you sit tight AFTER you check in and wait for them to call that number to get on the ship... "check in" is when you get your stateroom key, they check all your documents, you fill out the medical questionnaire, etc

Edited by esm54687

Thank you for the help but my info doesn't have anything about check-in on the edocs under the guest info or asks me to pick a check in time when I'm at the edit passport page. Hmmmm, it's the Sun out of San Francisco, after dry doc. ...maybe that's why?

On a side note, with SWA if one of the party is an "A" lister the rest of his party cannot board with him and have to wait until their designated boarding group. But your analogy is a good one to use. (dh is a 25 yr. Ops agent)