Tipping on disney fantasy

Paigefour

Ok, twofold question here. If we are on,y planning on dining in the 3 restaurants for 3 of the 7 nights, are we still expected to tip for all seven nights? We were assigned the late seating and will not be able to go most nights. And, secondly, does the $12 per head tip include our 2 year olds? Thanks

Ok, twofold question here. If we are on,y planning on dining in the 3 restaurants for 3 of the 7 nights, are we still expected to tip for all seven nights? We were assigned the late seating and will not be able to go most nights. And, secondly, does the $12 per head tip include our 2 year olds? Thanks

As noted, yes, you should maintain the suggested tips. Remember, even though it's designated to your dinner servers, that covers all 3 meals onboard.

In case you don't know, that $12.00 per day breaks out to: $4.00 per guest (each person in your room, regardless of age is a guest) per night to your room host; $4.00 per guest per night to your dining room server; $3.00 per guest per night to your assistant server; and $1.00 per guest per night to your head server.

Beverage purchases include a 15% gratuity.

As above, yes you are expected to still tip regardless of whether you attend the MRD's or use the pool deck buffet that is a sit down table service restaurant and not a buffet (closed the first and last night of your cruise however), if you chose room service, or adult only dining restaurants Palo or Remy depending on which ship.

Everyone regardless of age is expected to provide the gratuities.

Have you asked to be waitlisted for early dining if that is an obstacle to your late dining assignment?

ex techie

I'll be honest, if we get late dining, then no I'm not tipping the full 12pp. If we have late dining that means no mdr for dinner. That means we don't get the full value or enjoyment of our cruise.

Late dining is too late for us.

I'm wait listed for early, and we will go once on board to be moved to early. I've never been told no before.

I'll be honest, if we get late dining, then no I'm not tipping the full 12pp. If we have late dining that means no mdr for dinner. That means we don't get the full value or enjoyment of our cruise.

I'm wait listed for early, and we will go once on board to be moved to early. I've never been told no before.

So punish the dining staff by withholding their wages from decision made by the cruise line, because you do not get the dining time you want? :eek:

Seriously?

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Start with the fact that $4 of the $12 has nothing to do with dining--that is the tip for your stateroom host who cleans your room twice a day regardless of your assigned dinner time.

The $8 per day that does cover dining is for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You are going to be eating those meals somewhere and are going to be served. Your assigned dinner servers will be serving breakfast and lunch somewhere--maybe where you choose to eat, maybe not. They also rotate thru the fast food outlets. The tip represents the service for all 3 meals with the exception of Palo and Remy.

Finally, is it right to penalize the servers for the fact that the cruise line/ship could not assign you to your preferred dining time? If the service is poor and doesn't improve after a discussion with the head server, by all means reduce the tip to the individual(s) involved. But don't hurt people who had nothing to do with your dissatisfaction.

Start with the fact that $4 of the $12 has nothing to do with dining--that is the tip for your stateroom host who cleans your room twice a day regardless of your assigned dinner time.

The $8 per day that does cover dining is for breakfast' date=' lunch, and dinner. You are going to be eating those meals somewhere and are going to be served. Your assigned dinner servers will be serving breakfast and lunch somewhere--maybe where you choose to eat, maybe not. They also rotate thru the fast food outlets. The tip represents the service for all 3 meals with the exception of Palo and Remy.

Finally, is it right to penalize the servers for the fact that the cruise line/ship could not assign you to your preferred dining time? If the service is poor and doesn't improve after a discussion with the head server, by all means reduce the tip to the individual(s) involved. But don't hurt people who had nothing to do with your dissatisfaction.[/quote']

Well said.

Not only is this pitiful when you compare the amount you're shorting someone to the cost of the cruise, but even more so as since it's on Disney we all know it isn't some cut rate cruise someone is pinching pennies with.

Not only is this pitiful when you compare the amount you're shorting someone to the cost of the cruise, but even more so as since it's on Disney we all know it isn't some cut rate cruise someone is pinching pennies with.

I disagree with your comment about the cost of the cruise.

It doesn't matter what you pay for the cruise, you agree to pay that plus gratuities.

You went in knowing the cost and that you could be assigned early or late dining, and regardless of the cost of the cruise or the cruise line, those servers wages are dependent on tipping making up a very large proportion of their wages.

And this is NOT this cruisers first cruise! She lists many cruises under her signature.

Saying if I don't get what I want, (if I don't get my preferred dining time) I will withhold the wages of that person that has no control over that decision regardless, is the action of what I would expect from 2 year old child.

Not an adult.

IMO, it's people like this that led NCL to introduce the "your paying the grats or calling it a service charge, and you will have to dispute it AFTER you get home from your cruise, and ultimately they make the decision to reduce or remove them.

I foresee DCL and other lines implementing this similar policy because of the entitled generation's attitude.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

PARDON ME, the replies I have seen are incorrect in their assumption of costs.

But the question of tipping involves the following: a $12 charge per person, per day, for each of the three people in the restaurants during dinner (thats $216) per dinner. Per day. Even if we don't eat there that night???!!! I am really quite unpleasantly surprised by the snarkiness in some of the replies received here.

There is a seperate tip/gratutity for the stateroom host, again, per person, per day. I was not questioning this. I do question if I should have to be pay an additional $216 per day if we are not able to eat at the restaurants.

Edited by Paigefour

But the question of tipping involves the following: a $12 charge per person, per day, for each of the three people in the restaurants during dinner (thats $216) per dinner. Per day. Even if we don't eat there that night???!!! I am really quite unpleasantly surprised by the snarkiness in some of the replies received here.

No you are mistaken.

Read post #3.

that $12.00 per day breaks out to: $4.00 per guest (each person in your room, regardless of age is a guest) per night to your room host; $4.00 per guest per night to your dining room server; $3.00 per guest per night to your assistant server; and $1.00 per guest per night to your head server.

Your grats for three meals a day equate to $8 per person. The other 4 is per person for your Stateroom Host.

So unless you have 27 people in your dining party, it is NOT $216 per dinner.

ex techie

Each person EACH DAY is expected to pay:

$4 to their Stateroom Host

$4 to their Dining Room Server

$3 to their Assistant Dining Room Server

$1 to their Head Server

$12 per day per person.

So 3 Guest's, thats $36 per day.

ex techie

There is a seperate tip/gratutity for the stateroom host, again, per person, per day. I was not questioning this. I do question if I should have to be pay an additional $216 per day if we are not able to eat at the restaurants.

The $12.00 per night gratuity charge does not go to each server. The $12.00 breaks out to $4 to the dining server; $3 to the assistant server; $1 to the head server. The other $4 goes to the room host.

That's per guest per night. So, on a 4 night cruise, each person on your reservation is paying a total of $48 for the entire cruise ($16 to the dining room server; $12 to the assistant server; $4 to the head server; and $16 to your room host).

The charge is $12 per person per night of the cruise. As noted above, the breakdown is $4 to the room steward, $4 to the server, $3 to the assistant server, and $1 to the head server. I have no idea where you are getting $216 per day. There is no charge "per dinner." The tip charge represents the tip for all 3 meals that you eat during the day.

The tip charge for a 7 night cruise is $84 multiplied by the number of people in your cabin. For 3 people in a cabin, that would be a TOTAL of $252. On a 6 night cruise, the TOTAL tip charge for a cabin of 3 would be $216, but you've already told us you have a 7 night cruise.

Even if we don't eat there that night???!!! I do question if I should have to be pay an additional $216 per day if we are not able to eat at the restaurants.

Since you have edited your post before I replied before, YES you are expected to tip regardless of your use of the MDR's. YOUR TIP IS THEIR WAGE.

Why can you not eat at the restaurants? They offer food that is prepared in allergy galleys, and food that can be made to order for special diets.

So if you decide to go elsewhere, they still deserve to get paid the small sum per person, because you will have been served by them or one of their colleagues elsewhere on the ship for your breakfast or lunch, even before being served your dinner.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Sorry, but based upon the suggested tips, it would actually be $336 per day. Not $212. So, as this is to be our first, and perhaps our last, cruise, we are to tip the $336 every day even if we do the cabana route through the day?

Sorry, but based upon the suggested tips, it would actually be $336 per day. Not $212. So, as this is to be our first, and perhaps our last, cruise, we are to tip the $336 every day even if we do the cabana route through the day?

Seriously STOP.

Either read the replies above, or get a TA.

ex techie

Again - the suggested gratuities are charged to your onboard account at $12.00 per guest (each person in your room is a guest) per night.

For 3 people that's $36.00 per night maximum added to your onboard account daily.

The $12.00 per night gratuity is broken out thus:

$4.00 per guest per night to your room host

$4.00 per guest per night to your dining room server

$3.00 per guest per night to your assistant dining room server

$1.00 per guest per night to your head dining room server.

For 3 of you for 7 nights that would be a total of $252.00.

3 People X 7 nights X $12.00 = $252.00.

And, yes the gratuities should be paid, even if you don't eat in the Main Dining Room. The servers tips are covering all 3 meals a day. Breakfast, Lunch, and dinner.

Edited by Shmoo here

1) You should read some of the previous posts, your math seems way WAY off. How many people are in your party?

2) No offense, but it seems like you already had your mind made up not to pay the gratuities and you expected people to agree with you. If you're just not understanding the math, I hope you will re-read the thread.

If you can't afford to pay the gratuities--at the correct rate, not this $300/day thing you've come up with--it's possible you can't afford to cruise.

I've been lurking a long time and the three people you are arguing with know more about Disney cruises than anyone you're likely to run across anywhere else.

Edited by AdoraBelle

Dear sir,

Again, your math is incorrect. The daily tips for disney for dinner are as follows:

$28 for main server, $21 for asst server, $7 for maitre d. Perday. Again, that is $336 per day

Dear Paigefour,

I disagree, and your math is wrong.

However, you can ignore the advice being given and choose to believe what you wish.

As you just signed up today, and know nothing about cruising on DCL, I would strongly advise you to believe what you are being told and not dispute it.

ex techie

Dear sir,

Again, your math is incorrect. The daily tips for disney for dinner are as follows:

$28 for main server, $21 for asst server, $7 for maitre d. Perday. Again, that is $336 per day

That's the total cost for your cruise - 7 days at $4.00 per day equals $28.00 for the main server. 7 days at $3.00 per day equals $21.00 for the assistant server; and 7 days at $1.00 per day equals $7.00 to your head server.

Added to that is the $4.00 per day to your room host for the $12.00 per day that's added for gratuities.