First Time Disney Magic 10/22

blakemom

Hi, I have a few questions please. We are in our mid 40's with a 9-year old, who actually will turn 10 while we are on the Disney Magic next week 10/22-10/29. We ordered a cake for the 27th (birthdate) and ordered birthday decorations for the room, cat 6, deck 6. Is there anything else we can do that would be special for him for our son's birthday?

What days are the formal dinners/parties?

I would like my 'boys' to wear tuxes but I see that some here say that no one wears the tuxes. Am I wasting my money?

We have early seating, 6pm. How do I coordinate the formal dinner with the early seating or are the formal dinners not dinners rather are they cocktail hours before dinner? (I wanted some nice formal photos of all of us.)

We could only get Palo reservations online for the first day of the cruise. I think I want to change that so that we all eat together the first day of the cruise. How do I change that?

We have cruised before and have made mistakes by booking too many excursions so this time we are limiting our excursions to the dolphin experience and more sightseeing/family-style activities.

What are your opinions on any of the following excursions?

Grand Cayman - Rum Point Beach Adventure or Seven Mile Beach. We are looking for beach time and some jet ski rentals.

(We have been to Grand Cayman and Cozumel before for Stingray snorkel, turtle farm, etc. so we want to see a different side of GC and Coz.)

Key West - first time there...How is Old Town Trolley or Conch Train. My son loves trains. We want to see as much of Key West as we can.

Castaway Cay - We want alot of time at the beach to do as many family activities there...we are thinking of Bicycle Rentals. We bike alot together and that seemed like a good choice or should we just forget that and just stay at CC and take advantage of all day activities there?

Cozumel- Dolphin Discovery...on our prime list of things to do. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

J-

We're on that cruise, too :-) and we're also on deck 6 (with a 3 and 5 year old). We had heard that you can actually get holiday cards printed on the ship with a photo taken aboard. If so, I am going to do this on formal night. We bought the book Pass Porter's Field Guide, and from what I summised, the formal night is on night 3, so Monday. I'm wondering if our itinerary will be changed due to Wilma. We were going to fly to FL on Sat morning, but may try for Friday night just in case, though I don't know where we'd stay. Southwest told us that if we have to change our res due to Wilma they will not charge us more for our change (since all the cheap seats are long gone). If I see a boy about 9 in a tux I'll give you a holler! I think that is wonderful!!!

Thanks for the info...what is the difference between 7 Mile Beach and Rum Beach? Can you rent water toys at 7 Mile?

Haven't been to Rum Beach - 7 Mile Beach is the famous beach that Grand Cayman is known for. Reasonably close to where the cruise ship will tender (or dock).

Lots of boat rentals and water sports available.

We're on that cruise, too :-) and we're also on deck 6 (with a 3 and 5 year old). We had heard that you can actually get holiday cards printed on the ship with a photo taken aboard. If so, I am going to do this on formal night. We bought the book Pass Porter's Field Guide, and from what I summised, the formal night is on night 3, so Monday. I'm wondering if our itinerary will be changed due to Wilma. We were going to fly to FL on Sat morning, but may try for Friday night just in case, though I don't know where we'd stay. Southwest told us that if we have to change our res due to Wilma they will not charge us more for our change (since all the cheap seats are long gone). If I see a boy about 9 in a tux I'll give you a holler! I think that is wonderful!!!

Not sure if you have a rental car or using the Disney Shuttle Bus to the port. If you are getting a car then this is a nice offsite hotel with good rates http://www.mousesavers.com/radisson.html. If you are using the disney bus to the port then you might want to call Disney to see if you can get a room at one of the resorts the night before. If you come in a day early you can rest up and even get to the port early. Start enjoying the ship as soon as you can. The Pools are empty for the first couple of hours. We showed up around 10:45, checked in at the terminal and started boarding around 11:45. Have fun!!! Good luck with the storm.

We tried to book a Disney hotel tonight when my husband got home. They're all booked. Apparently, Floridians evacuate TO Disney because they have their own generators and therefore always have power. We did get a hotel at the airport, though, and Southwest let us change our date from Sat to Friday afternoon at no charge. We're thinking right now that this may end up being a Western Caribbean cruise :( , since Key West and Cozumel are in Wilma's direct path and even if she's passed, she will have left destruction in her path.

Archived