Jewel/Dawn ACs on 10 Forward Under Bridge

Rumncoke

Anybody been in the ACs on either the Jewel or Dawn that are tucked under the bridge on deck 10. Are they noticeably larger than the ones on deck 9? Any pix? Is it a sliding door to the balcony out front? Thanks!:confused:

Anybody been in the ACs on either the Jewel or Dawn that are tucked under the bridge on deck 10. Are they noticeably larger than the ones on deck 9? Any pix? Is it a sliding door to the balcony out front? Thanks!:confused:

Ben?

Ben & Judy were in 10500 just above us (9506) on the Dawn July 31 cruise. They would be able to give you first hand info. Here are some pix they posted. All forward balconies have bulkhead doors.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=218314

Just stayed in 10500 on the Star. Yes the interior is noticeably larger - you get a full sized couch, two chairs and a coffee table in that area. We actually enjoyed the balcony being shaded by the bridge. Considering you spend more time in your room than on the balcony, we thought the space tradeoff was fine.

We did have noise issues however. I have no idea why people are pounding around on the bridge every morning between 6 and 10am, but we were awakened by it each day. My husband was quite annoyed since we were staying out late and trying to sleep in. The noise was right over our heads and rattled the metal ceiling tiles. Very rarely did we hear anything during the rest of the day or evening. Our next door neighbors (not under the middle of the bridge) didn't hear any noise at all.

Overall the suite was very nice. Pack some ear plugs just in case!

Thanks for the info and the pix.

In all the pix I've seen of these types of cabins and similar ones, I've only seen a birdseye view into the doorway of the bath area. Can anyone describe the bath area from when you enter this doorway?

If you walk from the corner of the bed into the bath area, you run straight into the vanity table and chair. There is a ton of storage to the right of the table. On the left is a door leading into the bathroom. If you step up into the bathroom you are at the large sink. To the right is the toilet enclosure with a sliding glass door. To the left is a 5 foot long tub/shower with a sliding glass door.

The 2 center ACs on 10 are great rooms - very very large. The balconies are a bit smaller but plenty big. They are private from the bridge by virtue of the overhang - the other 10 ACs have no privacy from the bridge.

These 2 center ones also have picture window and sliding glass doors - the others all have smaller picture window and solid doors.

The 2 center 10s are in my opinion the 'cream' of the Dawn ACs!

I just moved from 10002 to 9500 based on that info. The last thing I would want is a bulkhead-type door.

For this type of money, I want glass, baby! :)

Of course, when they made the change for me...they said that 10002 HAD sliding glass doors. :confused:

......I think maybe what they are trying to say is that only the center forward ACs have bulkhead doors. :confused: However, most of the forward facing cabins I've been in on any ship have had bulkhead doors. This is in the event of very rough seas or bad weather. A bulkhead or "watertight" door would be much more functional if large waves came over the bow or in the case of horizontal rain or spray with high winds.

Rumncoke,

I can't wait to see your HIGHFALOOTIN SUITE EITHER!!! See you in 18 days!

MrTractor<---------has seen the promised land and it's in a suite at sea.........

I checked....we have floor-to-ceiling sliding glass doors! Yippee.

That way, when our butler shows up with breakfast in bed, he(or she)'ll be able to open the doors so we get fresh sea air to go with our orange juice.

Still almost a year away, and I can't wait.

SJB

sjbdtz,

All the front facing suites have a "water-tight" door and a locking inner door. The do not have sliding doors. The info in the room description is wrong. There a full windows on the side of the door.

Stayed in 10506 and got a look at 10500. Both had "water-tight" doors, but our Owners Suite also had a side balcony with sliding glass doors.

Tip don't have both the door to the balcony open and then open the door to the cabin. You will have great wind tunnel.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

........still available on our Jewel cruise. Since the Dawn, Star and Jewel are all sister ships, I would think that the forward suites would be pretty much the same in design. For the right price, maybe I could upgrade form our AD.

I know you get two balconies with OS - one on the front and one on the side. But I'm curious about how big is the front balcony is in the owner's suite compared to the ACs next door? And what about that side balcony? Is it bigger than a standard balcony?

MrTractor<-------tries to live the Champagne life on a beer budget..:o ....

sjbdtz,

All the front facing suites have a "water-tight" door and a locking inner door. The do not have sliding doors. The info in the room description is wrong. There a full windows on the side of the door.

Monty

Thx for the note Monty. I see on the Dawn that this is the case, but I think the Jewel is a little different. The Rez agent confirmed the sliding glass doors.

Also, this pic appears to be from one of the forward cabins...not sure which deck http://www.depping-design.de/test/displayimage.php?album=lasthits&cat=2&pos=1, but I'm pretty sure this is a pic of an AC on the Jewel.

I believe that the owner's suites, and the two outside AC's on both 9 & 10 have bulkhead doors, but that the 2 centre AC's on 9 & 10 have sliding glass.....

Cheers,

Stephen

mrtractor,

The front balcony in AA cabin 10506 was 150sqft. Almost a big as out BB cabin on our first cruise, 166sqft. The side balcony was also large. It has a round table and 4 chairs. Had breakfast out there. The cabin is 751 sqft.

Call the upsell # 1 800 625-4309. See what they want for the AA. I got an e-mail from NCL about an upsell for our December cruise and got a great price.

It's less than a month for you, so you might have a bargaining position, if they really want to sell it. I also opens up the AD (which is very popular cabin) for last minute sales.

It can't hurt to try,

Happy Sailing,

Monty

The front balcony in AA cabin 10506 was 150sqft. Almost a big as out BB cabin on our first cruise, 166sqft. The side balcony was also large. It has a round table and 4 chairs. Had breakfast out there. The cabin is 751 sqft.

I am looking at NCL's website. Under Voyages and pricing they list the Jewel 10504 AA as being 673 with a 151 sf balcony. The inside is slightly smaller at 673 sf (how much more room do you need!), but it appears they are only including the front balcony in the square footage for veranda. Is it possible they are including the side balcony in the interior calculations? You know, like it's some sort of "porch?"

Just trying to figure out what I'm sticking my credit card out there for........

MrTractor<-----------likes beer better than Champagne anyway....:rolleyes: ........

Mrtractor,

The view from you front and side balconies. Breakfast on YOUR balcony served by YOUR Butler.

The master bathroom is to die for and you also have small one. Plenty of storage space. The perks are great and not that we have ever been treated badly, but it sure seems you get treated differently when you are staying in an AA suite.

If the pirce is right for you, go for it.

You'll never be able to say, "I don't care how big the cabin is, we'll only need it to sleep in". You'll never want to leave the suite.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

And I'm looking for AC info on 9500, just below!

Specifically, are the bathrooms in the AC in front the same as the AB bathrooms? (I realize they won't have an ocean view, but are they essentially the same)?

sjbdtz,

On the Dawn, the bathrooms in an AA & AB are the same. The bathroom in an AC is not. No super shower, no whirpool tub, no plasma tv over the whirlpool either, just a plain tub & shower combo.

Sorry,

Happy Sailing,

Monty

........I've seen photos of them. I'm just trying to get my mind around the dimension of the front balcony. I traditionally host a large party in our suite as a sailaway from one of the ports. So a larger balcony has a great deal of appeal to me. I don't need one the size of Texas and not every one of the 40 people I invite has to stand on the balcony at one time. But a veranda large enough to accomodate a dozen people is a big plus.

So my question is, does the measurement offered on NCLs website of 151 sf include the total of front and side balconies or does it only include the front balcony?

Just trying to justify all that extra moolah!!!!!:rolleyes:

MrTractor<-------thinks it would have to be one super deal, but is ready to bend the plastic.............

......but it looks like the front balcony of the ACs and the AAs on the Star, Dawn and Jewel are different. It looks like the AAs are smaller because of the layout of the room and the fact that the AAs are at the corner at the front. Structurally, it makes more sense to put a lot more steel at the corner. That's where they put the bathroom on the AAs.

A smaller front deck is not a deal breaker. Afterall, you get all the perks of being and "Owner." But there is also the question of which deck I should book. There are two AAs left. The one on deck 10 has more indoor space, while the one on deck 9 has a lot less indoor space, but has a HUGE forward deck.

I really don't want to be too picky, it's just that I'd like to know what I'm getting. I'm looking for a super deal. Right now they are discounting to fill it, but it's still some serious money. The difference is more than a lot of people will pay for the whole cruise! So I'm just weighing my options.

If I procrastinate long enough someone else will grab it and that will make my decision for me!!! :rolleyes:

MrTractor<------has been in the penthouse and the outhouse and had a ton of fun in both!!!!!!

Mr. Tractor, the front balcony on the 9th floor AAs is HUGE - the same size as the AC balconies on 9.

You'd have no problem hosting a big party on that balcony!

As you've noted, the 10th floor AAs are larger indoors, with a smaller front balcony.

Either way you can't go wrong. It is really worth it to go for an AA if you can swing it; experience of a lifetime!

And of course we 9506'ers are particulary fond of that suite!

on deck 9 are HUGE. But the inside is quite a bit smaller. If we did this, I think we'd go with the bigger indoor space. Once you get a couple of loungers on the forward deck, how much space can two people need? My only concern was for a sailaway. We'll have as many as 80 people coming! :eek: So I'd like to be able to accomodate a dozen or so on that forward deck. It sounds like it will do that. And if I can swing it, I'll have to take what the cruiseline has available.

But then, as you said, "You can't go wrong!"

I'm going to be OK if I don't get it, but if I do, it'll be memorable. It's a darn good thing the Garden Suites aren't available or my credit card would really be in trouble!!!!

MrTractor<------has to call the reassignment desk before they close........

Archived