Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier Trek (7-9 miles) - Anyone done?

DanaDanes

Has anyone done this hike? I have seen it offered by Above and Beyond Alaska and not by any cruise line. It is described as "Challenging". I'm wondering just how in shape you have to be... I am in my 40s and reasonably fit - cardio classes 3x week plus some weight training. But I live in a flat area and don't hike much. Wondering just how hard this is...

Look forward to hearing anyone's experiences with this 7.5 hour hike!

Yes; we did this with our 16 and 12 year old girls a couple of years ago. We (the parents) had to keep catching up to our teen and preteen, who had no difficulty whatsoever. A reasonably fit person would not have trouble doing it, and I definitely recommend it if you like hiking.

Yes; we did this with our 16 and 12 year old girls a couple of years ago. We (the parents) had to keep catching up to our teen and preteen, who had no difficulty whatsoever. A reasonably fit person would not have trouble doing it, and I definitely recommend it if you like hiking.

Thanks epixx!!! What kind of shoes did you wear? Trying to figure whether my low top hiking shoes (Merrill azuras) are sufficient or if I need boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks epixx!!! What kind of shoes did you wear? Trying to figure whether my low top hiking shoes (Merrill azuras) are sufficient or if I need boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We wore low top hiking shoes, just like yours. Also, note that the tour company provides waterproof jackets and pants, which can come in very handy. The hiking part gets hot, but the time on the glacier is cold.

We did this hike last summer and it was the highlight of our three weeks in Alaska! If you are active and in shape you can do it. Both my husband and I are in our 50's, we are runners, and had no trouble doing the hike. Do know there is a place where you climb up some rocks and then climb down on some loose gravel. There are pictures of this on Trip Advisor if you want to see what the hike entails. Above and Beyond if fabulous. They go out of their way to make sure your trip is one to remember. We wore Merrell hiking boots and layers of clothes. They provide a backpack, gear, water, and good snacks. You can put extra clothes and camera in the pack. In order to have time on the glacier and possibly get into a cave don't dwaddle on the hike to the glacier. This is hard to do since the hike itself is beautiful - through the rainforest, past a lake, and gorgeous views. Enjoy, we'd do this again in a heartbeat,

I asked this question by email before we went. I am including a copy of what their office manager sent me. " As for guide gratuities, we really appreciate your conscientiousness around that and would say that generally speaking, the average gratuity spans 5%-15% of the trip cost, though of course you're welcome to tip whatever feels appropriate for your trip, especially when it's been an exceptional experience that your guide has helped to sculpt for you."

Our guides were really amazing so we tipped them well.