Koningsdam - spa question

lorif

Since we are starting to get reports back, I have a question regarding the spa.

We used the spa access package on NCL cruises, and on that ship, there was a women's side and a men's side each with sauna and hot tub, and then a shared area in the centre with thermal beds, another big hot tub and a cold tub. Is the layout similar on the Koningsdam?

I saw pictures of the big circular hydropool and what I think was a steam room, but it didn't reference if those are in shared space or separate, or if there is gender separated facilities.

My husband and I enjoyed meeting in the middle and being able to relax in that space together, but I also appreciated some space that was gender specific.

Thanks.

I can answer this because I am HUGE fan of NCL Spas :) and just disembarked the Koningsdam where i had a pass for the full week of the Spa.

The Koningsdam is the first HAL ship to at least come a bit closer to the great spas of NCL but are still not quite the same. They are both operated by Steiner so Steiner would have had a lot to do with the design of the new spa on the Koningsdam. But everything is for both men and women with one exception and that is the Heated Sauna for this there is separate men's and women's but it was placed just outside the Thermal Spa area like an after thought and NOT in the Women's changing area like on NCL. There is a small shower in the women's with a cold water bucket splash. Women were in there using it in the nude but little to no room to change clothes to leave that area to walk back out in the hall. It really should have been placed in a separate area for women only or men only.

There are some new feature that HAL has for the Thermal suite that are great, Hydro pool in my opinion is a bit better than NCL because for one it is easy to get into. NCL builds theirs for those tall Norwegians :D

There were problems with the Hydro pool the first 5 days of our cruise that the water was just luke warm at best but by the last two days it was finally at a great temp. The Steiner Crew will need to stay on top of the Aroma Therapy Steam room and keep the scent pods fill because the first two days it was great the last 3 there was no longer any scent at all.

Overall I really like the new spa and it has lots of window viewing :)

Thanks LAFFNVEGAS ! I thoroughly enjoyed your twitter feed while you were on board.

Good to know about the spa, I think we will give it a try - I guess any spa is better than no spa :) and they hydropool and view look great.

When you were on the ship, did they have any non-dairy options in the Gelato bar?

Thanks LAFFNVEGAS ! I thoroughly enjoyed your twitter feed while you were on board.

Good to know about the spa, I think we will give it a try - I guess any spa is better than no spa :) and they hydropool and view look great.

When you were on the ship, did they have any non-dairy options in the Gelato bar?

I need nondairy as well and unfortunately there was no non dairy at the Gelato on the Koningsdam, I was going to try it and just take several lactose pills before eating but never got back there, but did really enjoy some gelato in Rome that was across the street from our hotel that is a chain called iCaraba.

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS

• 3 weeks later...
Is there a shower inside the women's and men's locker rooms? Is that small shower area that you mentioned just for women using the spa?

Yes there is as well as showers in the Men's and Women's Sauna room.

1d0b74b5b0dcd21e6b947e92b843b9f1.jpg

I am really looking forward to trying this out. When I called to book the pass, the person I spoke to recommended the Bamboo stick massage (think that was what she called it). I am looking forward to checking out what they do have, although getting beaten with sticks doesn't seem like something I should pay for :)