pricing by Oceania

kroeni

I just looked for the San Francisco-Vancouver cruises in May 2016 and May 2017. The same room costs for the 2017 cruise twice the price as for the 2016 cruise. As I understand both come with the same offer (free on board credit or free excursions). What do you think of such pricing ? Is such a price drop quite normal ?

You'll probably get some replies that will give you good info. In the mean time, it would be helpful to make sure you're comparing the same things, and to give us more info. When you say "room only" are you taking out any free airfare that's normally included in Oceania cruises? If you don't want the free air, you can get a credit. Also, do both cruises offer the same ports and number of days, and are both cruises on the same size of ship? That pricing difference does sound a little strange, but Oceania has recently been monkeying around a little on their prices, so it's hard to know without having more details.

Morgen....

I just booked the 11 day SFO to Vancouver.... without air, for about $2800 for an inside.. In 2015 I took a 10 day without air for $2400.00 Considering the 2 years, inflation etc and its one day more, I dont really see any big increase... its about $250 pp/pd in 2015 it was $240 pp/pd thats a whopping $10 per day increase not even 5% a year over 2 years !!!!

What cabin type are you booking???? There may be a extra charge flying from Deutschland...

I will say from experience, on the Regatta, going to Alaska, and considering the month May, that getting a balcony is pure folly.... 90% of the time you wont get to enjoy it due to weather..

Getting an inside however on deck 8 or 7 puts you in an ideal position to zip around to the horizon lounge, pool deck,and everything else.

The reality is that if your wanting to get a balcony to take in the sights, you will do far far better getting out of the cabin being on deck or in a lounge.....10 x better... n This is my 3rd trip to alaska... I learned from the past... an inside, is the same size as a balcony cabin. only the OS/VS and PH are larger cabins Ther rest all the same size.... well the ocean view cabins are in fact 10% smaller than an inside

Your choice, your call......Tschuss

I'm not sure about the air fare for people in Europe. I think it might apply to people flying from/to the U.S. but don't know. Oceania does attract a good number of European cruisers, so someone will (hopefully) let you know. I DO know some cruise lines have separate web sites for non-U.S/Canadian citizens or residents (?), so definitely make sure you find out if there's a difference.

For me, as a U.S. resident, I can go on the O website, go to the "Book a Cruise" section, choose a cruise, go through a booking up until the time I need to commit and pay, and find out how much O will credit me if I don't take the included air. Early on, you'll be asked to specify if you'll need air fare or not. If you say no, it will give you a credit for the air portion - often less than what you would pay if you booked on your own, as the cruise lines have contracts with certain air carriers at a reduced price. That lets you know if it's cheaper to take O's air or get your own, use points or miles, etc. Sometimes the brochures themselves make it clear that air fare is included or not, but if not, you can always go to the website booking area to get this info. Free airfare is almost always included, but don't expect the most fantastic flights. They are seldom non-stop between E Europe and U.S./Canada, but obviously it depends on what airports are involved.

I recommend using a travel agent if possible. Often they'll give you added benefits like more onboard ship credit, throw in the gratuities, give you a discount on the price of the cruise, etc. Also, some can get you a guaranty on a stateroom category that's already full, which is a good thing if you're like me and wanting the least expensive room categories!

I don't think one day normally makes MUCH difference in the cost of a cruise, except perhaps in expensive places like northern Europe or other expensive places.

Thanks for the links to the cruises. I'll look at them later (have to go).

Only got as far as looking at price of a G cabin in 2017 vs 2016, but $800 is a lot. It makes me wonder if O is making a last minute attempt to fill the ship this year with less than a month to go OR if air is not included at this late date.

I am also a fan of the cheaper inside cabins unless someone is extremely claustrophobic! Some of them are also located midship, which I like.

Edited by roothy123

Hi Kroeni

I've just looked at the UK web site for these 2 cruises.

2017 "full price" is £4309 reduced to £2809

2016 "full price" is £4199 reduced to £1439

Both are for the cheapest cabin and both include airfare from the UK. We saw this offer and booked, we got free wifi and the drinks package included. For us in the UK Oceania will reduce the price if we don't take the included airfare.

I guess on the one going next month Oceania are trying to sell the last few cabins. On the one for next year the reduced price will go up and down according to demand. One big difference in booking in the UK to booking on a US website is that in the US if the price reduces before final payment you get the reduced price ( if cabins are still available in the same category). In the UK and I suspect in Germany too, the price you book at is the price you pay irrespective of any later price differences.

If you are looking at a US web site the prices you see will include air from the US.

Edited by Janet-
ommission

Hi Kroeni

I've just looked at the UK web site for these 2 cruises.

2017 "full price" is £4309 reduced to £2809

2016 "full price" is £4199 reduced to £1439

Both are for the cheapest cabin and both include airfare from the UK. We saw this offer and booked, we got free wifi and the drinks package included. For us in the UK Oceania will reduce the price if we don't take the included airfare.

I guess on the one going next month Oceania are trying to sell the last few cabins. On the one for next year the reduced price will go up and down according to demand. One big difference in booking in the UK to booking on a US website is that in the US if the price reduces before final payment you get the reduced price ( if cabins are still available in the same category). In the UK and I suspect in Germany too, the price you book at is the price you pay irrespective of any later price differences.

If you are looking at a US web site the prices you see will include air from the US.

Air fare is the big difference and O may not be able to get the same contract price for 2017 as today with super cheap fuel..... Try pricing without air and then compare. Or consider taking the 27 day in 2017 from Miami, cheaper air and cheaper perday fare.....