Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach

NECruiser83

Has anyone stayed at the Bahia Mar on Fort Lauderdale beach. We are going down 2 days early and thought it may be more convenient to have a hotel right on the beach, this way we can skip renting a car. Would love to hear about people's thoughts/experiences here. TIA

Has anyone stayed at the Bahia Mar on Fort Lauderdale beach. We are going down 2 days early and thought it may be more convenient to have a hotel right on the beach, this way we can skip renting a car. Would love to hear about people's thoughts/experiences here. TIA

I've not stayed there but attended lots of events there and it is a good value for what you get.

I would definitely stay there, fantastic area.

There has been some chatter about expansion but for the foreseeable future, nothing will happen. Too much money against the project.

Edited by BlueHerons

I've stayed there and agree with Blue Herons that's it's a good value. Restaurant on site, deli close by, other places to eat within walking distance and water taxi also close if you have time to take a cheap tour.

Did the same thing in January. Had 2 nights so decided to spend it on the beach rather than looking at a highway interchange or mall parking lot. Weather sucked but what are you gonna do lol. If you can get it for under 250 a night, I would agree with the others about value for what you get. More than that and I would be shopping around a bit, although if the Mar is higher than 250, odds are everything else will be 300+. Again, this was January, and I don't know when you are going. Rates do fluctuate quite a bit depending on the season. We had a car so we ate at Duffys on 17th, but we did have breakfast in the marketplace on the main floor of the marina building one morning. Under 50 bucks for 6 of us. The restaurant in the main tower building looked expensive (20 dollar breakfast buffet, yikes lol).

It has an elevated walkway over to the beach which is nice with how busy traffic is. The walkway also connects the marina building to the main building and also goes back to the pool. The marina building rooms were renovated last year and are quite a bit nicer than the main building, although the rooms are a touch smaller and are cheaper. We could see the top of the Princess ship from my in-law's marina view room which was on the third floor. We had a 9th floor ocean view room. There are balcony doors but no real balcony to speak of, it might be 18 inches wide. More just to open up and get the sea air and look out of. If you got a partial ocean view room and asked for it on the south side and higher floor, you would have a decent view of the port less than 2 miles away.

Edited by DanJ

Did the same thing in January. Had 2 nights so decided to spend it on the beach rather than looking at a highway interchange or mall parking lot. Weather sucked but what are you gonna do lol. If you can get it for under 250 a night, I would agree with the others about value for what you get. More than that and I would be shopping around a bit, although if the Mar is higher than 250, odds are everything else will be 300+. Again, this was January, and I don't know when you are going. Rates do fluctuate quite a bit depending on the season. We had a car so we ate at Duffys on 17th, but we did have breakfast in the marketplace on the main floor of the marina building one morning. Under 50 bucks for 6 of us. The restaurant in the main tower building looked expensive (20 dollar breakfast buffet, yikes lol).

It has an elevated walkway over to the beach which is nice with how busy traffic is. The walkway also connects the marina building to the main building and also goes back to the pool. The marina building rooms were renovated last year and are quite a bit nicer than the main building, although the rooms are a touch smaller and are cheaper. We could see the top of the Princess ship from my in-law's marina view room which was on the third floor. We had a 9th floor ocean view room. There are balcony doors but no real balcony to speak of, it might be 18 inches wide. More just to open up and get the sea air and look out of. If you got a partial ocean view room and asked for it on the south side and higher floor, you would have a decent view of the port less than 2 miles away.

Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed it. We got an Oceanview room for about 170 for November, so it looks like that is a good price! Although now I am tempted to switch to maybe a partial view to be able to see the port, what do you suggest?

Dan, glad it worked for you. I know you were worried about construction.

How was your in laws marina room? We' ve always stayed in the tower.

The marina room was great. Freshly fixed up, modern fixtures and bathroom, very comfortable king size bed. We swapped the second night so the kids could spend the night with their grandparents (who spend the winter in Florida and the kids hadn't seen in over 2 months by that point). I've read in the past that at the Pier 66 or the Hilton Marina that these type of rooms are the so called "lesser" rooms, or the ones you get on reward points etc. While these rooms at the Bahia Mar are still the cheaper or first offered on points, they certainly aren't "lesser". Hopefully the owners can ever figure out what their renovation plans are going to be on that property and get their tower rooms fixed up the same way. Only drawback to the Marina building is it's a looong walk from the parking, which is on the north side of the tower.

Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed it. We got an Oceanview room for about 170 for November, so it looks like that is a good price! Although now I am tempted to switch to maybe a partial view to be able to see the port, what do you suggest?

At that distance from the port, I don't see the point. I would go for the oceanview if you want a view.

We loved this hotel! Stayed one night after our cruise last May! Great pool and super easy to get to the beach using the bridge! You can walk to anything you might need. We had an ocean view in the older building. Would recommend to everyone!

We loved this hotel! Stayed one night after our cruise last May! Great pool and super easy to get to the beach using the bridge! You can walk to anything you might need. We had an ocean view in the older building. Would recommend to everyone!

Do you mean the marina view? Ocean view is in the tower building, which altho is not new, isn't their older building.

Edited by eandj

The marina room was great. Freshly fixed up, modern fixtures and bathroom, very comfortable king size bed.

While these rooms at the Bahia Mar are still the cheaper or first offered on points, they certainly aren't "lesser". .

The marina rooms are second from the bottom level. The rooms facing the parking lot are the "lesser" rooms. I always thought the marina rooms with the view of the boaters would be nice. But when we arrive from the Midwest in winter, all Dh wants to see is beach and waves.

We choose the partial (southern) view in the tower for the the whole shebang...sand, water and coastline down to Miami.;)

We really enjoyed the Bahia Mar. Have stayed here twice and in Marina Bldg both times. Both times on side overlooking the Marina. Lucky enough to have had a nice balcony once where you also could look to your left and see the beach. Only about 4 balcony rooms on each floor in this bldg.

At that distance from the port, I don't see the point. I would go for the oceanview if you want a view.

I wouldn't either. But not sure how important it is to the poster to see some part of a ship in the distance. And as someone else said, you do get to see the water and beach very easily from the south side as well.

I wouldn't either. But not sure how important it is to the poster to see some part of a ship in the distance. And as someone else said, you do get to see the water and beach very easily from the south side as well.

Thanks everyone, talked it over with DH and we are going to stick with the Oceanview. Glad to see others had the same thinking. I was reading a lot of people staying closer to port and worried I made thr wrong decision with our hotel selection. I have never been to Ft Lauderdale and can't wait!! ☺

Thanks everyone, talked it over with DH and we are going to stick with the Oceanview. Glad to see others had the same thinking. I was reading a lot of people staying closer to port and worried I made thr wrong decision with our hotel selection. I have never been to Ft Lauderdale and can't wait!! ☺

That hotel is close to the port it just isn't on 17th Street. The location is much more desirable than 17th Street.

Have a great stay!

I second the remark about Bahia Cabana. Really fun place , especially in the evening. Short walk from Bahia Mar.

Third Bahia Cabana.

It is one of the few places that is a mix of tourist and locals. On Sunday afternoon it is almost completely local.

Good food also!

Third Bahia Cabana.

It is one of the few places that is a mix of tourist and locals. On Sunday afternoon it is almost completely local.

Good food also!

Is it a restaurant, or more of a bar atmosphere. We have a 7 year old, and although I see the hotel has babysitting services, I am reluctant to leave him with someone I don't know, although we like the idea of having some adult time. I am thinking we will decide that once we are there and get a feel for the place

Is it a restaurant, or more of a bar atmosphere. We have a 7 year old, and although I see the hotel has babysitting services, I am reluctant to leave him with someone I don't know, although we like the idea of having some adult time. I am thinking we will decide that once we are there and get a feel for the place

It is completely family friendly.

I wouldn't think twice about taking a seven year old there.

It is completely outdoors and on the water. He may even make friends there.

Agree that you can take your child along. There will be tons of boats/yachts for him to check out, tables outdoors and inside. It is VERY casual..wooden picnic type tables.

DH and I always go there on our day of arrival for a relaxing start to our stay...and a delicious fish meal.

It sits behind an old hotel. Look for info ......bahiacabanaresort.com

Edited by eandj