Car seat on Carnival Liberty?

jennyh_1

I am a bit of a car seat crazy with my little one (she is 3) and am a little nervous about our trip! We plan on taking a cab to Playa Mia when in Cozumel. Does anyone know if there are car seats to rent on the Liberty or anywhere that we can use for that can ride? It seems like a hassle to bring our huge seat and carry it around on the beach all day... Help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am a bit of a car seat crazy with my little one (she is 3) and am a little nervous about our trip! We plan on taking a cab to Playa Mia when in Cozumel. Does anyone know if there are car seats to rent on the Liberty or anywhere that we can use for that can ride? It seems like a hassle to bring our huge seat and carry it around on the beach all day... Help!

I've never seen seat belts in our taxis in Cozumel, nor any port for that matter, so there really isn't a way to tether the car seat.

Edited by stargate fan

You will need to take your own as there is no place to rent either on the ship or in port. The exception might be at the rental car places for use in their cars.

When getting a cab you will need to check for seatbelts. Many do not have them. Last summer we went without a car seat but had the 4 year old in the middle seat of a van and seat belted in. There were 9 of us traveling together and the van had two back rows of three, a front row of two and the passenger seat. While it wasn't ideal it was the best we could do.

There really is no standard to the taxis in Cozumel and I wouldn't count on seat belts. As the previous poster said, you could possibly rent your own car. Then the car seat could remain in the vehicle while you enjoy the beach. Some rental companies may even have them available.

What might help put your mind at rest is that the speed limits in Cozumel are pretty darn low....20mph (30kph) in towns, 30 mphh (50kph) on the open road and the traffic is stop and go in town and not much better on the open road. Most accidents in Cozumel are off-road related, involve novice drivers of scooters and motorbikes (yeh, all the trippy Tourists). Seat belts are pretty non-existant. Besides the time spent in a car is minimal, so your little one shouldn't get restless sitting between two adults and shouldn't be squirming or trying to get up down and sideways.

And, though it won't relieve your anxiety, probably, remember generations of us never sat in a car seat, wore a seat belt, or sat in the back seat for our entire up-bringing and we survived.

So, do you not take them with you on excursions? Or do you have a way of getting around sans taxi? That information may be helpful to the OP.

In Bermuda we used ferry transportation and public busses

In Nassau we used the water taxi and then walked around town

In Key West we walked around town.

Cozumel we stayed around the pier area. I've had less than favorable experiences in taxis in Cozumel and would not take my toddler in a taxi in Cozumel. I didn't say I would not take my toddler in a taxi anywhere, I specifically said Cozumel.

It is for each parent to determine what they feel safe in doing. Perhaps OP can reach out to private tour companies and ask about seat belts in their minivans/taxis/busses and if they can accommodate a child seat.

When we cruised w/ my daughter at that age we stuck to excursions through the ship that used buses (which don't use car seats) even though we had the car seat w/ us in the cabin (needed it to get to the port).

Seat belts are hit or miss in the Caribbean so best to err on the side of caution.

I've had less than favorable experiences in taxis in Cozumel and would not take my toddler in a taxi in Cozumel.

Since I haven't had any adverse "taxi" problems in Cozumel, and yes we have taken toddlers, It may be good for you to advise CCers of the "less than favorable experiences" that you write of so they can make informed choices.

Thanks.

Since I haven't had any adverse "taxi" problems in Cozumel, and yes we have taken toddlers, It may be good for you to advise CCers of the "less than favorable experiences" that you write of so they can make informed choices.

Thanks.

I think they drive like maniacs in Cozumel and their dilapidated old microvans and small cars that have no seatbelts probably have no other safety inspections or criteria to meet. What you choose for your family is fine. What I choose for my family is fine as well. I have been in taxis there without our child and based on my personal experiences, I would not take them in a taxi there; I never said I had a problem.

I have suggested other things the OP could try such as private hire taxis or vans and busses to see if they offer seat belts / can accept a child seat. The suggestion to look at cruise line excursions that go on busses is a good idea.

When we cruised w/ my daughter at that age we stuck to excursions through the ship that used buses (which don't use car seats) even though we had the car seat w/ us in the cabin (needed it to get to the port).

Seat belts are hit or miss in the Caribbean so best to err on the side of caution.

Just curious - why use a bus with no seatbelts and not a taxi with no seatbelts?

I have found seat belts in taxis in Cozumel. You might have to say no to the ones that don't and wait a bit longer but they do exist. I plan on bringing two car seats for an infant and toddler for our trip next week. I'll let you know how we do!

I have found seat belts in taxis in Cozumel. You might have to say no to the ones that don't and wait a bit longer but they do exist. I plan on bringing two car seats for an infant and toddler for our trip next week. I'll let you know how we do!

Are you the poster that told me all taxis in cozumel have seatbelts?

Just curious - why use a bus with no seatbelts and not a taxi with no seatbelts?

In addition to traveling at lower speeds, buses have safety features built into them including compartmentalization. A bus is less likely to be in a crash situation in the first place but if is, it is larger, the seats compartmentalize each passenger (similar to a carton of eggs), and the bus is larger than the vast majority of other vehicles and can withstand crash forces better.

I've been a car seat tech for the last 12+ years..including when my now 14yo was cruising at 2.5yo. So I feel comfortable in my knowledge about crash dynamics and how cars react vs. buses.

In addition to traveling at lower speeds, buses have safety features built into them including compartmentalization. A bus is less likely to be in a crash situation in the first place but if is, it is larger, the seats compartmentalize each passenger (similar to a carton of eggs), and the bus is larger than the vast majority of other vehicles and can withstand crash forces better.

I've been a car seat tech for the last 12+ years..including when my now 14yo was cruising at 2.5yo. So I feel comfortable in my knowledge about crash dynamics and how cars react vs. buses.

Thanks for the reply. I may have actually learned something today :)

What might help put your mind at rest is that the speed limits in Cozumel are pretty darn low....20mph (30kph) in towns, 30 mphh (50kph) on the open road and the traffic is stop and go in town and not much better on the open road. Most accidents in Cozumel are off-road related, involve novice drivers of scooters and motorbikes (yeh, all the trippy Tourists). Seat belts are pretty non-existant. Besides the time spent in a car is minimal, so your little one shouldn't get restless sitting between two adults and shouldn't be squirming or trying to get up down and sideways.

And, though it won't relieve your anxiety, probably, remember generations of us never sat in a car seat, wore a seat belt, or sat in the back seat for our entire up-bringing and we survived.

I've ridden in many a taxi in Cozumel and they all ignored the speed limit by 20mph, at least.

I don't have one of these but thought they looked interesting:

http://www.mifold.com

This is a booster seat and not recommended for a 3yo. Boosters are only recommended for older children that can stay seated in the seat belt without moving out of position...which is generally around 5yo at minimum but usually by around 6 or 7yo.

Also note that booster seats also require both a lap and shoulder belt. Many vehicles found in the Caribbean have only lap belts in the back seat.

(The mifold looks like a great lightweight option for traveling with an older child. Unfortunately, it is still in pre-orders now and not available for purchase yet. Another travel booster option could be the BubbleBum.)

I think they drive like maniacs in Cozumel and their dilapidated old microvans and small cars that have no seatbelts probably have no other safety inspections or criteria to meet.

I agree with this and will say it is hit or miss. On the way out from the port we were in a very new van and it was like being in a taxi anywhere else. The speed limits are more of a suggestion.

On the way back we had a smaller taxi, some sort of 4 door toyota which has no seatbelt, or rearview mirrors with a driver that was easily going 60-70+ mph and passed every car on the way back.

I rent cars on many islands but don't on Cozumel because the taxis are so cheap. But also because of watching how people drive. Four trips there, one of them everyone drove normally, the other three it was the wild west on the roads.

Might consider a "RideSafer" Vest. This is what we used on our last cruise. Double check that your little one meets the minimum height and weight for it. It's infinitely more portable than a car seat. There are options for lap belt only seats, you'll just need to chose the right version.

Good luck!!

We just returned from a land vacation to Cozumel a few weeks ago. Our kids are 6 and 4 and we brought "Bubble Bums" (inflatable booster seats) for the short taxi ride from the airport to the hotel and back. Our taxis did have seat belts but as others have mentioned, you can't always count on that.

People in Cozumel take child safety in motor vehicles very lightly. You'll see entire families (mom, dad and kids) all riding on one motorcycle or scooter with no helmet (not that this should give you a reason to be less safe with your own children).scooter-family_small.png

Edited by Tapi