Megan's Bay problems

Janespup

We had fairly rough seas Saturday between Ft. Lauderdale and Nassau, enough so that the beaches at Atlantis were closed because of rough water on Sunday. The rough seas persisted through Sunday night. When we went to Megan's Bay, in St. Thomas on Tuesday, the water was fairly calm, in my opinion though I had never been there before. There were small waves. with small waves. The problem was getting out of the water. There was a drop of about 18 inches of soft sand a few feet beyond the shoreline. Many people of all ages and physical condition had difficulty getting out of the water because they couldn't maneuver the soft sand slope. People fell. People had to be helped out of the water. Everyone near where we were sitting was talking about the situation and watching as others struggled to get out of the water.

My question, for frequenters of Megan's Bay is: Is this normal? Is this beautiful beach flawed by an unmanageable drop? Or was it due to the rough water? Is the bay usually flat, with no waves and no drop? I have another cruise planned for next April and it, too, goes to St. Thomas. I would really like to know if I should expect the same unpleasant conditions.

Thank you in advance for any helpful insight.

Can't answer your question on the drop as we haven't been to Magens in some time. We never saw that problem there so it sounds like there has been some shifting although Magens is generally a very calm bay.

But would suggest you consider another beach next visit anyway just to experience a new beach. There are many gorgeous beaches on St Thomas and you may want to try Sapphire or Smith Bay, or even Cinnamon Bay on St John if time allows.

The rough seas you encountered in the north Atlantic created fairly hazardous conditions including rip tides and ground seas on the north side of the islands. When this happens, sand can be shifted around and waves can be overwhelming. If you run into this again, just go to a south facing beach, where it will be calm. :)