Using ATM's abroad

dorsetlad

The actual cost is 5.2p per day for every £100 withdrawn.

Thankyou Mickey

So £100 withdrawn by credit card (Halifax Clarity, free to use abroad) for one month is about £1.50? If so that is an excellent way of purchasing foreign "pennies", or have I got my sums wrong?

or is there also a Halifax Clarity DEBIT card??? going to have to look........

Edited by jasperado

Don't do what my other half did. Put the wrong pin in the terminal, in the first shop in the first port. we spent the rest of the holiday trying to unlock the card in ATMs, we finally managed it in Gibraltar in the last port

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never use a credit card for ATM withdrawals, its will cost a fortune. There is a way around this, by putting your credit card in the "Black" it will be cheaper in the long run, but thats another story.

If I recall correctly the T&Cs for the Clarity card prohibit you putting it in the "Black" to avoid the charge.

For worldwide use the Clarity is the best card, free for purchases and very cheap, but not free for ATMs.

For Europe, Metro Bank is free for both, but branches are not everywhere.

We don't have a special credit card for when we go abroad. I take some cash out before we travel and if I need more I take it out using my standard credit card and it has never cost me more than a few pence. The exchange rate is always excellent and the interest charge, charged per day from the day I take money out until the account is settled, (which we do monthly by direct debit - full amount), is always less than the commission would have been on a currency booth transaction.

The only time you need to worry is if you do not pay your credit card off monthly as then the charges will continue to mount and over time they might well be substantial.

Thankyou Mickey

So £100 withdrawn by credit card (Halifax Clarity, free to use abroad) for one month is about £1.50? If so that is an excellent way of purchasing foreign "pennies", or have I got my sums wrong?

or is there also a Halifax Clarity DEBIT card??? going to have to look........

Correct maths, only provisor being that some ATM's do have a Useage Fee which applies to all credit cards that includes the Halifax Clarity and the Metro Card. ATM's at major banks are normally free, the ATM will advise you on screen if there is a charge before you proceed with the transaction.

Halifax debit card does not have the same T&C as the Clarity card and is not favourable for overseas transactions.