Extension Cords

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Surge protector or not? and is it really needed? Cruising on the Ecstasy this Saturday!:)

From many other discussions on this topic,and Carnival's policies ... NO surge protector. Apparently, they are unsafe on the ship due to the different way that they produce and deliver electricity.

This is the one I brought. It was long and very useful.

image_zpszlaunw9y.png

That's fine, as long as it doesn't have a surge protector. A 12 foot cord might be a little excessive. Since the power strip will be laying on top of the vanity, all of that cord may be a nuisance. You might want to bring along a couple of twist ties or zip ties to bundle up the cord. I bought one for our next cruise that has a three foot cord, the shortest that I could find.

The 12 foot came in very handy for us.

I'm 100% positive there's a Carnival regulation someplace prohibiting this. Definitely "appliances" like hair dryers and irons are prohibited.

When I was in the Marines on US Navy ships, we NEVER let anyone have an extension cord, everything was 'hard wired,' if at all possible. They short out, moisture gets in there, causes electrical fires, etc.

That being said..I just got off a Holland America cruise 2 weeks ago, and they PROVIDED a power strip JUST like the one in the photo here.

Nuts!?

Edited by SurferJoe57

I'm 100% positive there's a Carnival regulation someplace prohibiting this. Definitely "appliances" like hair dryers and irons are prohibited.

When I was in the Marines on US Navy ships, we NEVER let anyone have an extension cord, everything was 'hard wired,' if at all possible. They short out, moisture gets in there, causes electrical fires, etc.

That being said..I just got off a Holland America cruise 2 weeks ago, and they PROVIDED a power strip JUST like the one in the photo here.

Nuts!?

Hair dryers and curling irons are allowed. Not clothes irons and other things with a heating element such as steamers, etc.

Nuts!?

Extension cords are allowed.

From Carnival's FAQs:

Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat irons, curling irons, and shavers, are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.