"Cancelled excursion" = money missing

sheltry

I'm very upset!

I am leaving in 4 days on the Dream and my Cozumel excursion for my kids was missing. I assumed it was a computer glitch.

After 20 minutes, I'm told the $159.99 per person excursion had been cancelled today. Odd.... no email about it at all.

Then she tells me that I will get the $320 back in 7-10 days. We are leaving in 4 days!

This excursion is for my two kids and they saved up for it. Why wouldn't they put that $320 on on-board credit so my kids could go on a different excursion?

I understand that tour operators cancel and that banks take time to process transactions, but Carnival should have been proactive and given me the option to move them to another excursion instead of saying that they don't have the money anymore. No pro-activity. No caring. No forethought.

I went up through Guest Solutions and I said that they should make this right by putting the kids on another excursion and settle up with their refund department (I'd still get a refund because it was the most expensive one) but she said that's a different department. It's Carnival and Carnival should have made it right.

I can't believe I'm 4 days out and I have very bitter feeling towards Carnival. I turn platinum and my kids gold this cruise and I'm hoping the anger subsides.

Now.....to tell the kids.

Not defending Carnival, but the vendor likely cancelled the excursion, not Carnival. You should be bitter at the vendor.

Carnival has always refunded cancelled items (deposits, cruise fares, excursions, fun shop orders) to the payment source.

I can just hear the screams now if Carnival decided to contact every person who had a cancellation BEFORE they refunded their payment. Lots of people screaming "where is my $$$" or "why isn't my $$ back in my account".

When I cancelled a cruise, my excursion was refunded - took 2 or 3 days to see it in my account.

You should change the title of your thread - your money is not missing - you know exactly what the process of refunding is as you have spoken with Carnival.

Edited by lizardhowson

You will get the $320 back, even if it shows up on your credit card after you leave. Don't worry about that. Just go ahead and book something else, either now or on board, with the knowledge that it will be offset by the refund that is coming.

Now, if you are out of credit on your card until the refund shows up, or if your debit card account (if that's what you used) is currently empty and you have no other source to get temporary funds, then I can understand the concern. Maybe somebody that trusts you can spot you the funds, knowing that they'll get it back from you through that $320 refund once you return home. If you do have available funds to cover the cost of the new excursion, then you should have no worries.

We had an excursion cancelled and the money was credited back to our card in a day or two. It will show up. I think the 7-10 days is just a standard line.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Don't stress too much...I bet you see it back in your account before you leave. They say 7-10 (because a lot depends on your banking institution too), but I have never seen it take more than 3 or 4 days when I cancelled. :) Don't start your cruise off stressed out - remember you are going on vacation while the rest of us are stuck at work... don't worry, be happy lol! It will be fine.

Sorry this happened. If it were me and the kids had paid for their own excursion I would have them pick another one, I would pay for it, then I would take that amount back from the refund before giving it back to them. Hopefully there is another excursion they will like as much.

This excursion is for my two kids and they saved up for it. Why wouldn't they put that $320 on on-board credit so my kids could go on a different excursion?

I can't believe I'm 4 days out and I have very bitter feeling towards Carnival. I turn platinum and my kids gold this cruise and I'm hoping the anger subsides.

Was it the Dolphin Swim excursion?

I would say stop worrying about something that cannot be changed and book an excursion with an independent tour operator. Book it and you may not have to deliver any sad news to your kids.

Here's a quick search result.

Best bet is to go search on the Cozumel board for a similar excursion. It will probably even be cheaper than Carnival.

Good Luck!

Edited by hirent