dining times and miscellaneous?

RMac713

My TA booked my husband and I for 6 PM dining and I switched to 8:15. We did 8:15 on our DCL cruise and it was fine, we don't miss sunsets that way and on the cruise next March a couple of ports don't have all aboard until 6 PM, so if we linger we won't have to rush to dinner.

So on Carnival, is it the same as DCL in that there are kids in both seatings, but fewer at the later one?

Are they good at pairing up table mates?

What is the logic in whether or not they put you in Southern or Northern Lights (on the Magic)?

Do you veteran Carnival cruisers prefer set dining times or anytime dining?

Fewer kids at late seating because the kids clubs start around 7 and 10 is past many of their bedtimes.

The maitre d s on Carnival are usually very good at matching up table mates.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have taken 10 crujses and 9 have been late dining. Late dining is our preference, you never have to rush back from port and rush to get ready for dinner. There are very few children at the late seating. As for table mates, we have had enjoyable table mates and some we did not enjoy. Have no idea how they choose the dining room, but we hsve been in the aft one on every cruise.

My TA booked my husband and I for 6 PM dining and I switched to 8:15. We did 8:15 on our DCL cruise and it was fine' date=' we don't miss sunsets that way and on the cruise next March a couple of ports don't have all aboard until 6 PM, so if we linger we won't have to rush to dinner.

So on Carnival, is it the same as DCL in that there are kids in both seatings, but fewer at the later one?

Are they good at pairing up table mates?

What is the logic in whether or not they put you in Southern or Northern Lights (on the Magic)?

Do you veteran Carnival cruisers prefer set dining times or anytime dining?[/quote']

We have always done the late dining - we travel with our son, our adult daughter and in laws - there are kids at late dining but not many- my son usually eats with us the first night, then elegant nights, he is with us at the beginning, then off to his camp activities. Most times, at the end of the cruise, he skips dinner with us altogether for the camp parties and events.

We have not had to pair with anyone, we have always traveled with 6 or more, so usually have our own table. Once, we had a table for 10 but the people never showed up.

I think the dining room given is just assigned, not really sure how, but when you check in, they tell you which room you go to for dinner.

I prefer set dining times because we use the dining room every single night, wouldn't have it any other way. We like to get dressed up and have a sit down dining experience with multiple courses- we don't do this every evening at home - just about once or twice a month - so we take advantage of this down time while cruising. We like the familiarity that comes with the dining room staff - they know your likes and dislikes after the first night. They work hard and we tip well because this type of customer service is important to us. Some people like ATD because you can choose when to eat, but we prefer a set time - again its different from home where we have varying schedules and routines.