Looking for beaches within walking distance from the havensight port

jpavlak

Wondering if my husband and I (both 31 and very fit) could walk anywhere fun from the NCL escape. No idea how many ships will be in Port (may 24th 8am to 6pm). We are spending a great deal on all other ports and don't want to bring cash for taxi or tip.. Maybe just a cover to a beach. Don't care about chair rental or water sports... Just want amazing water and views for some amazing pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Perhaps 2-3 miles one way would be feasible for time! We walked in Bermuda from the port and it was our favorite day. We saw tons of beauty that was too small on its own for anyone to have recommended and saw a ton on the walk. Finally crashes on a beach somewhere until we decided to walk back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

To get to most any beach in St Thomas you're going to need a taxi... Not doubting your physical fitness, but there are no sidewalks, and the roads are very narrow. A safari type taxi can get you to a nice beach for around $10-$12 per person each way...

Would not consider walking Havensight to Lindbergh Bay, not a nice walking tour like you enjoyed from King's Wharf, and it would take some time just to get there...

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

Just pay the $8 - $10pp round trip taxi fare to Morningstar Beach and lay your towels there. For $20pp round trip you could enjoy the amazing water colors and island views from Sapphire Beach.

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

If you really don't want to pay taxi fare you could just settle for water/yacht views from the Fat Turtle or another bar right near Havensight.

Another option is walking up the road to Paradise Point, very steep walk and winding with no sidewalk though. But great views of the ships and beyond.

Wondering if my husband and I (both 31 and very fit) could walk anywhere fun from the NCL escape. No idea how many ships will be in Port (may 24th 8am to 6pm). We are spending a great deal on all other ports and don't want to bring cash for taxi or tip.. Maybe just a cover to a beach. Don't care about chair rental or water sports... Just want amazing water and views for some amazing pics!

I'm going to take a minority view here. I agree with the others that no beach is accessible via a walking tour anywhere considered "normal". There are no sidewalks and sometimes the shoulder of the road is nonexistent. In addition to being fit, you need to be alert and agile (and maybe lucky) if you attempt it. And if a driver is not paying attention you're toast.

That being said, if you are 31 and very fit, I'm almost twice your age and "sort of" fit, and I've walked to Morningstar, Magen's and Hull Bay. I make no diagnosis of my own sanity. I will give my impressions, trying to include the discouraging points as well.

Morningstar: from a physical point of view this is the easiest. It's the shortest with very little change of elevation. However there are stretches where retaining walls or cacti press you into the road with zero clearance. From a safety point of view this is the one I consider least inviting. I actually sprinted for a number of yards to get past some stretches I considered very uncomfortable. Additionally, the views along the way weren't that great, at least ten years ago. I am very leery of this route because of some short but troubling stretches.

Magen's: the downer here is that the first stretch feels like straight up about 600 feet. It is high and steep, no joke. If you're at Havensight you basically take Highway 35 all the way, although I would advise taking a left (west) at some point on Highway 40 for the view from Drake's Seat. Be advised that this stretch of 40 is also tricky with very narrow shoulders. Route 35 then stretches east and north to Magen's. I don't know if it's still there, but there was a place called Udder Delight on the homestretch that sold refreshing dairy products. There are a few views from up top, but Drake's Seat is the best.

Hull Bay: Again you've got to make that tough climb up Rt 35. From there you take the left on 40 past Drake's Seat, so stop here, and then you take a right on Rte 37 down to Hull Bay. The beach is like a miniature of Magen's which is just on the other side of the headland but so deep that access is miles apart. There are several views of Magen's Bay and the Atlantic from Rte 37. It looks a bit farther than Magen's.

There you have it. It technically can be done, but whether it's advisable I leave to you. There are no sidewalks and you either walk in the road or along the berm which may be rough going. There is objective risk from cars and the over-the-mountain routes are strenuous. It's going to be quite hot as well.