Vancouver dim sum recommendations

DanaDanes

We would like to have lunch in Vancouver before the cruise. Can anyone recommend a nice dim sum place walkable from cruise terminal (1/2 hour walk) that will be open on a Sunday

Caveat: I am from a southeastern us city. We have great food but almost no Asian influence so I have never had dim sum (only Chinese takeout!) so need a place with helpful waitstaff and good English to guide us on ordering! I am really keen to try some good Asian food.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by DanaDanes

Pink Pearl on Hastings looks walkable.

I've had dim sum in Hong Kong, Boston's Chinatown and locally. Good for you to want to try it, but it is hard to know what to order. Many of the steamed dishes have a unique texture that might taste better the 3rd or 4th time you've had dim sum. It's definitely not like the fried rice and egg rolls you may be used to from your local Chinese takeout.

Edited by mondello

Thoughts....

• Walking South-West offers some premium Dim Sum places
  • Victoria Chinese Restaurant is the closest under the Hyatt Regency.

• A block further is the Kirin. Best known for Dim Sum in downtown.

• Walking East, you'll find the "value" Dim Sum places. I like going to these places as there is no waits with the large restaurants. You give up a little on presentation.... but your wallet will go further. Yummi!
  • Floata in Chinatown

• Pink Pearl is best done with a cab..... the walk is not pleasant as you walk a significant distance through the low income district.

• More restaurant options will be found along Broadway and Richmond.
  • the above recommendations work hard for non-Chinese customers. Some have illustrated menus to help you choose what's available.
  • Some restaurants are menu driven where your Dim Sum is cooked to perfection before serving to you. Other Dim Sum restaurants will be push carts where you can see the food live before placed on your table.
  • I like to arrive around 10:15am for brunch.... some places offer a discounted price before 11am (some 10:30am). When full price comes..... the variety increases.
  • most Vancouver Dim Sum is Cantonese.... there's also Northern and Shanghai style.
  • Some other ideas.... (not all are walking distance from cruise terminal)

[YOUTUBE]ky8bouLbbB8[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

While the Pink Pearl has long been a corner stone of dim sum in Vancouver, it probably more of a walk then most would care to undertake. A cab ride from most of downtown Vancouver would run $10/$12.

Have done Kirin and pink pearl and I prefer Kirin. I live not too far from pink pearl but have others in the hood that I prefer. Kirin is walkable and it's a nice walk :)