Late flight going directly to ship

Dirtkid

What's it like arriving on the late flight (9:40pm local time) and going directly to the ship? Arriving earlier in the day or arriving a day or two early seems to be preferred. But if we have to arrive and board the ship late is there anything open on the ship? Can we get a nightcap or a snack perhaps?

Usually those who arrive late have sandwiches prepared for them. Bars will not be open but I am not sure about room service.

If at all possible I would suggest you come in the day before, relax and board at three on embarkation day.

Usually those who arrive late have sandwiches prepared for them. Bars will not be open but I am not sure about room service.

If at all possible I would suggest you come in the day before, relax and board at three on embarkation day.

I agree with Emdee! We are coming in a day earlier and our travel agent got our schedule changed for a small fee.

Don't arrive the day of the cruise. Jet lag will take over and your first day or two won't go so well. You are traveling a long way for a fantastic vacation. Try to at least arrive 2 days early if possible. I always do 3-5 day pre.

We are arriving only one night before our cruise. I would never, ever plan an expensive vacation and allow only hours to make our connection. You never know when flight problems could cause a delay. Just this weekend, my sister literally came within mere minutes of missing her own daughter's wedding due to flight problems with weather related flight cancellations and connection problems. Why subject yourself to that kind of stress?

If you are spending this kind of money on the cruise, surely it is worth it to spend the extra amount to fly in a day or two in advance. This will allow you the flexibility you would need in case of any travel issues, and will give you a night to catch your breath and begin to adjust to the time change. In our case, the issue is me being able to take enough time off work. We would have allowed even more time pre-cruise if I could have been sure I could take the time off work, but my boss is very resistant when it comes to giving me time off. In any case, I would not have booked the trip if we could not go at least one day before.

What sleepy Roll Calls, but splendid Message Boards PG has!

To Dirtkid's and your group of 11, such a fun and memorable family trip you've got planned.

We're on the same sailing as you on July 30th and want to add our whole hearted agreement to the very good advice that has been given here, especially regarding close timing of connections involving flights and cruise ship departure times. DH is a retired airline pilot with lots and lots of experience with the aggravatingly routine occurrences of delayed flights and missed connections for all kinds of different reasons.

If you don't have a choice on your travel days we'll certainly be looking out for you with crossed fingers and hoping for nothing but on-time arrivals and departures all the way in 89 days.

When we arrived on the Hawaiian Airlines flight from Honolulu late on a Saturday evening, we went to La Palette to have a nightcap and watch as we sailed from Papeete (and as the Hawaiian flight took off headed back to Honolulu). We weren't hungry, but room service was offered 24 hours a day. Perhaps this has changed, but it is still noted in the PG brochure.

When we arrived on the Hawaiian Airlines flight from Honolulu late on a Saturday evening, we went to La Palette to have a nightcap and watch as we sailed from Papeete (and as the Hawaiian flight took off headed back to Honolulu). We weren't hungry, but room service was offered 24 hours a day. Perhaps this has changed, but it is still noted in the PG brochure.

Sometimes the people who take the ATN flight come in after midnight as the buses take a long time.

Emdee, that's exactly what happened to us last December. It took extra time at the airport and getting through pier security so we didn't get to our rooms until after midnight. We were wiped. Not fun. Especially when you know many of the folks on the cruise had been aboard since afternoon. It all depends on where you want to spend your money. We had post-cruise plans so flew directly on ATN from LA to Tahiti. We absolutely love PG. Obviously, there's no such thing as a perfect cruise.

For our first few trips the ATN flight would get in at 6.30 do 7.30 on board and straight to dinner. Tiring but doable. Once the flight timings changed there was no way we were coming in that late.

You are correct it's all about choices. Not sure what we will do next year likely go in a day early but so looking forward to the b2b. One cannot have enough of the PG if you are a lover.