Christmas onboard

galeforce9

I am very excited at the prospect of spending my first Christmas aboard a seabourn ship. I'd be very grateful if all you holiday cruise regulars will share what makes Christmas aboard seabourn even more special than usual.

We've spent the last four Christmas/New Year on SB and it's been wonderful. Even the now near-notorious Odsyssey cruise last Christmas :D

The ship looks beautiful. They have tasteful decorations. They put out seasonal sweets and chocolates, have gingerbread houses, and even a small model train.

If you enjoy the shows in the evening the entertaiment team puts on a special Christmas Eve show.

Food on Christmas Day, you can go as traditional as you want, or choose not to. Turkey and christmas pud for dinner if you want on Christmas Day.

I enjoy Formal nights onboard and Christmas and New Year's Eve most guests make a special effort.

We're staying at home this year, reluctantly. You'll have a great time!

What else would you like to know? If I can't do it this year, at least I can talk about it. :D

Edited by Ravenscroft

We've spent the last four Christmas/New Year on SB and it's been wonderful. Even the now near-notorious Odsyssey cruise last Christmas :D

The ship looks beautiful. They have tasteful decorations. They put out seasonal sweets and chocolates, have gingerbread houses, and even a small model train.

If you enjoy the shows in the evening the entertaiment team puts on a special Christmas Eve show.

Food on Christmas Day, you can go as traditional as you want, or choose not to. Turkey and christmas pud for dinner if you want on Christmas Day.

I enjoy Formal nights onboard and Christmas and New Year's Eve most guests make a special effort.

We're staying at home this year, reluctantly. You'll have a great time!

What else would you like to know? If I can't do it this year, at least I can talk about it. :D

Thanks Roxburgh. It sounds wonderful. Sorry you can't make it this year.

Do guests do any cabin decoration or exchange cards? Do they give their cabin steward a gift? Is there anything I need to remember to pack?

Does everyone gravitate towards the dining room for Christmas lunch, or is the main event actually in the evening?

Is there a carol concert/service?

Is Boxing Day a pretty normal day (apart from the bigger hangovers!)?

I'm sure I have loads more questions but this will do for now thanks [emoji951][emoji319]

[emoji3]

I cruised on the Quest over the holidays a few years ago and must admit I was a bit let down. I frankly was surprised at how few areas of the ship were decorated (tastefully or otherwise) for the holidays.Yes, it was pretty much Ravenscroft described but I guess I expected a bit more. And to answer your questions no guests that I saw decorated their cabin doors and as to cabins themselves I have no idea as I did not go in other cabins. There was a concert where some of the crew sang Christmas songs in their native language and that was nice. Christmas the big meal was dinner -- no big Christmas lunch. I do remember the chef dressed up as Santa and walked around the Colonnade at lunch. There was a special New Year's show in the Show Lounge but as we had lingered over dinner with a special bottle of champagne when we arrived a good 15 minutes before the start of the show we were told there were no seats left and turned away. There was nothing special scheduled for Boxing Day as far as I recall. We have book the Christmas Antartica cruise this year not because it is over the holidays but because it includes South Georgia Island so it will be interesting to see if my "holiday" experience is the same. But then it is Seabourn and that is usually quite special in and of itself.!

I cruised on the Quest over the holidays a few years ago and must admit I was a bit let down. I frankly was surprised at how few areas of the ship were decorated (tastefully or otherwise) for the holidays.Yes, it was pretty much Ravenscroft described but I guess I expected a bit more. And to answer your questions no guests that I saw decorated their cabin doors and as to cabins themselves I have no idea as I did not go in other cabins. There was a concert where some of the crew sang Christmas songs in their native language and that was nice. Christmas the big meal was dinner -- no big Christmas lunch. I do remember the chef dressed up as Santa and walked around the Colonnade at lunch. There was a special New Year's show in the Show Lounge but as we had lingered over dinner with a special bottle of champagne when we arrived a good 15 minutes before the start of the show we were told there were no seats left and turned away. There was nothing special scheduled for Boxing Day as far as I recall. We have book the Christmas Antartica cruise this year not because it is over the holidays but because it includes South Georgia Island so it will be interesting to see if my "holiday" experience is the same. But then it is Seabourn and that is usually quite special in and of itself.!

Thanks Chairsin. I wish they would do a South Georgia cruise that isn't over the holidays as I want my Antarctica experience to be "the one" and for me South Georgia is essential (having been to the Falklands twice already) but can't usually take such a long holiday over Christmas (this year being an exception!). I know I will enjoy my cruise anyway. Particularly as we will be in Burma just after Christmas which is my main reason for this itinerary.

I think part of my disappointment stems from an experience years before when we were disembarking from SB just prior to the Christmas cruise and watched as they loaded, among other things, at least twenty fresh Christmas trees onto the ship (and this was one of the little ships). So clearly part of my "disappointment" stemmed from that expectation. I will say on that holiday cruise we were in San Juan on Christmas Day and I was so thrilled to have the opportunity to attend mass all in Spanish in the decked out cathedral.. However many of my fellow passengers were annoyed to find the shops closed -- on Christmas Day! Too funny.

As to this year, I have not been to the Falklands (wish the cruise went there as well) but all of our Seabourn friends have told us SGI was the highlight of the trip so as you say we had no options.

So will you do an overnight trip in Burma? And I imagine a ballon ride over those amazing temples would be quite special. May have to add this to a future cruise wish list!

Tony,

That sounds like good way to celebrate as well. All this holiday talk made me go look at our itinerary to see where we will be. Unfortunately it is one our few ports in Patagonia and the one where we are considering the 11 trip to the Torres Del Paine. Don't think I will feel like a leisurely Christmas dinner after that!

C

Tony,

That sounds like good way to celebrate as well. All this holiday talk made me go look at our itinerary to see where we will be. Unfortunately it is one our few ports in Patagonia and the one where we are considering the 11 trip to the Torres Del Paine. Don't think I will feel like a leisurely Christmas dinner after that!

Chairsin. Torres del Paine is well worth the effort to get there and I am sure all that fresh air will make you hungry! We've stayed in the park a couple of times at explora and the scenery is truly stunning (when the clouds and fog play ball!).

Torres Del Paine is really worth visiting. We have been twice and truly excellent

so as galeforce9 states Chairsin a nice long walk.

What we do not like on a ship at Christmas is the sugary Christmas songs by the singers and the politically correct carols!

Can't have it all ways!

Kind regards,

Tony

Well we have done 3 Christmas / new year cruises now and have never been turned away from any of the New Year's Eve shows.

Not everyone in the world is Christian so whilst there is no denying it's Christmas on board Seabourn do have to be mindful of everyone. As far as I know Diwali, Eid, Hanukkah and many other significant celebrations are overlooked. Some people cruise specifically to get away from Christmas.

Exact events will depend on the ship, cruise director and itinerary but in the past we have had the most amazing Father Christmas, gifts, a Christmas dinner, loads of treats around the ship, crew made trees relating to their department - some great ideas!

The entertainment staff put on special shows which have brought tears to our eyes.

Say what you want about smoking, dress in the dining room and the Thomas Keller program but I won't hear a bad word about the staff of Sojourn over the festive period.

No it won't be like you have it at home because we aren't at your house and don't have uncle Fester to amaze us with his armpit farts before falling asleep by the fire so we can decorate him with tinsel. But they try to do a pretty good job and there are always some extra touches.

What is a "politically correct" Christmas Carol by the way? Is there a whole X rated collection that our church don't use?

We decorated our cabin door including our 2 Christmas hedgehogs - don't ask :)

Don't forget you aren't allowed to bring children on board so shouldn't expect the excitement they bring.

Henry :)

Edited by Able Seaman H

The entertainment staff put on special shows which have brought tears to our eyes.

Henry :)

Yes I have seen many shows that had that effect on me on a ship.

I find that if you stand at the back of the theatre you can escape when the singing starts and avoid the tears.

Thanks Roxburgh. It sounds wonderful. Sorry you can't make it this year.

Do guests do any cabin decoration or exchange cards? Do they give their cabin steward a gift? Is there anything I need to remember to pack?

Does everyone gravitate towards the dining room for Christmas lunch, or is the main event actually in the evening?

Is there a carol concert/service?

Is Boxing Day a pretty normal day (apart from the bigger hangovers!)?

I'm sure I have loads more questions but this will do for now thanks [emoji951][emoji319]

[emoji3]

I will try to answer some more answers to your questions that have not

already been answered by Ravenscroft.

Yes quite a few do decorate their doors I am one of them,

Last Christmas we had three formals and being a holiday cruise

quite a few did dress up most nights.

Carol Services - Always took place at Midnight Mass

There has always been one 'Galley Lunch' which I think has

taken place New Years Day - with a huge

a huge dessert display.

Yes you will find a Present on your bed on Christmas Eve

Giving a present to your Stewardess I assume some do it is up to

the individual.

I think I have answered most of your questions, it is a wonderful

way to spend Christmas, this coming one will be our number 46

and we have enjoyed every one. Which ship will you be on board?

I will try to answer some more answers to your questions that have not

already been answered by Ravenscroft.

Yes quite a few do decorate their doors I am one of them,

Last Christmas we had three formals and being a holiday cruise

quite a few did dress up most nights.

Carol Services - Always took place at Midnight Mass

There has always been one 'Galley Lunch' which I think has

taken place New Years Day - with a huge

a huge dessert display.

Yes you will find a Present on your bed on Christmas Eve

Giving a present to your Stewardess I assume some do it is up to

the individual.

I think I have answered most of your questions, it is a wonderful

way to spend Christmas, this coming one will be our number 46

and we have enjoyed every one. Which ship will you be on board?

Hi Miss Jet Set

Thanks for your very thorough reply. Is that 46 Christmas Days on board?! We will be on Sojourn. Can't wait!

I have spent 3 fabulous Christmas/New Years cruises (2 free, my days; 1 paid) on The Baby Girl's ~~the BEST times ever! especially New Years anchored off St Barts with all the huge yachts.....but Captain announced "we are the biggest~" loud cheers!

You will make many wonderful memories and will cherish each day/night aboard. Pack your dressy evening wear and your dancing slippers!

Surely wish I could be well enough to join you.

My Seabourn wine toast, "Amigos para siempra" It's the Seabourn way.

Have fantastic holiday~

Martita B.

Edited by Martita B.

Hi Miss Jet Set

Thanks for your very thorough reply. Is that 46 Christmas Days on board?! We will be on Sojourn. Can't wait!

Yes we are once again spending Christmas on Sojourn as

well.

No. 46 is Christmas & New Year Cruises altogether we have been on

70 cruises I have long lost count of how many days