SkagWay by Bus or train?

Majesty Fan

We are doing Alaska in late June and we wondering what the best tour was? Is it the train or to rent a car or minivan? I have done the train in the past but none of my family has and I thought that would be a nice time. For people who have done both which did they enjoy better?

Lexi

Certainly the train is a must for railfans and history buffs. :) Scenery is also superior of the White Pass. But the car rentals and drive to Emerald Lake is a great day too, especially with Murray's excellent guide.

Perhaps take a vote of your group and go with that, the car rental will be significantly cheaper if that is of issue? Can't go wrong with either in my opinion. :)

I would do the train again, in fact we are going to do it again next May. The good thing is it has such knowledgable tour guides that give a great informative talk and you can go in comfort not having to drive yourself so everyone can enjoy it. What evr you decide it will be great.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll arrive in Skagway by ship 2 -3 hours before train departure. Only DW is going on the train ride. DH (me) is going hiking. DW will want to shop in town until train time. Does the train leave from the depot in town before going to the cruise loading point? :confused: I know that to leave from own, I have to make reservations directly with RR.

Thanks

Archived