BALCONY! What do I need to know? Thankyou Upgrade Fairy!

Yes, please be considerate with your balcony light. We had a balcony on our last cruise and the neighbors always and every night had their light on so we couldn't enjoy the moonlight on our balcony. We had to have the drapes pulled every night so we could sleep. It definitely interfered with the night time enjoyment of our balcony. It's very inconsiderate! I'd rather have the door bang.

Of course it is possible your neighbours may have been sitting on their balcony and needed or wanted their light on.

Although we all like different things, we too must consider what others enjoy on the balcony that they have paid for. As a rule, I don't turn the light on when out on the balcony, but I do like to have the door open to let the fresh air into my room. I use the little table to prop the door open for a while in the evening. This usually doesn't affect the a/c as it's cooled down when I do it and it freshens my room so I sleep better.

Again, we all have likes and dislikes, but there seems to be a lot of 'rules' on what not to do on your balcony so we don't 'ruin' everyone else's cruise. Personally, I do what I want to do and if someone else has a problem, then we can discuss it.

I'm surprised we don't see threads about the door taking off someone's fingers. The doors are so heavy and really slam. Just once in everyone's life you should experience having the balcony door open and open the cabin door! Easy way to make a big mess.

Funny you said that!

Our door on the Breeze slammed on four of my fingers right above the nail bed. I lost the whole nail right away on one finger and couldn't move the whole hand for a long time. It was a year before the black and blue went completely away and the nail fell off a few more times too. It was really gross looking.

Worst part was it happened 30min after boarding. I'm super careful with those doors now.

The Valor has sliding doors on the balcony. I don't know why they don't do that on all the ships. No slamming.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Awesome! Sailing on the Valor in August. Love the idea of sliding doors.

OP

You will become hooked with balcony.

Just so relaxing , having a cocktail, while watching the stars and everything else pass by.

Enjoy watching a rain storm approach if it happens.

Leaving door open at night , you may end up with a visitor. We had a bird flying around our room one night.

Someone joins the " balcony club" more often than you would probably think. No statistics to prove , but it's a bet that I would take on any cruiseline.

Coffee with Bailey's in the morning along with continental b/fast.

You and spouse will enjoy the extra space when one or the other is getting ready for dinner. Then enjoy that evening cocktail/beer/wine!

Of course it is possible your neighbours may have been sitting on their balcony and needed or wanted their light on.

Although we all like different things, we too must consider what others enjoy on the balcony that they have paid for. As a rule, I don't turn the light on when out on the balcony, but I do like to have the door open to let the fresh air into my room. I use the little table to prop the door open for a while in the evening. This usually doesn't affect the a/c as it's cooled down when I do it and it freshens my room so I sleep better.

Again, we all have likes and dislikes, but there seems to be a lot of 'rules' on what not to do on your balcony so we don't 'ruin' everyone else's cruise. Personally, I do what I want to do and if someone else has a problem, then we can discuss it.

Let me clarify, the light was on all night, every night for the entire 8 night cruise. The steward would turn it off when he cleaned. If they had been sitting out there with the light on that would have been their right, who am I to dictate what they do when they are out there? But they weren't. We knocked on their door with no response so they weren't even in their cabin and their drapes were pulled. Yes, I was that neighbor who peeked around to see if there was someone out on the balcony I could speak to. Door shut, blinds pulled and empty chairs. So there wasn't anyone to discuss it with.

Yes if you would like to keep the door open....but that will lower the efficiency of the cooling system in your room and if someone opens the door to the cabin while the balcony door is open it creates a wicked draft. Have a great time. Once you have a balcony you'll be hooked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

There is no better way to freshen up one's room after a bout of flatulence :D!

• 2 weeks later...
OP

You will become hooked with balcony.

Just so relaxing , having a cocktail, while watching the stars and everything else pass by.

Enjoy watching a rain storm approach if it happens.

Leaving door open at night , you may end up with a visitor. We had a bird flying around our room one night.

Someone joins the " balcony club" more often than you would probably think. No statistics to prove , but it's a bet that I would take on any cruiseline.

Coffee with Bailey's in the morning along with continental b/fast.

You and spouse will enjoy the extra space when one or the other is getting ready for dinner. Then enjoy that evening cocktail/beer/wine!

We're back from our cruise and you're right, we ARE HOOKED! The cabin had a couch, possibly the place where there should have been bunk beds, but the extra space was WONDERFUL! It will be awfully hard to go back to an interior now - maybe that's the plan - Carnival...you're very clever.

Yes, please be considerate with your balcony light. We had a balcony on our last cruise and the neighbors always and every night had their light on so we couldn't enjoy the moonlight on our balcony. We had to have the drapes pulled every night so we could sleep. It definitely interfered with the night time enjoyment of our balcony. It's very inconsiderate! I'd rather have the door bang.

Yes that is just plain inconsiderate, and we're not the type to believe the world (or ship) revolves around us. We very rarely turned the light on at all actually, it was lovely to have the sheer curtains open to have a glimpse of the moonlight from inside the cabin. Sitting out there in the dark was SO nice, we saw some spectacular sunrises, and watching the moon, for hours over that vast ocean as we slipped on quietly through the waters was just beautiful. Made us realize just how small we really are in the vast universe.

It is not. Please stop giving bad information.

It's not forbidden, but it is dangerous. The steward came to give us something, and when I opened the door, the wind tunnel we created almost slammed the cabin door on both of us - hard. He told me "it is very, very dangerous to leave door open, please close balcony door" So we did - mainly because he was right.

We shut off the air conditioning during the first couple days when we had the door open, but the further south we went, the more humid it got, so we preferred keeping the balcony door closed and the a/c on. It worked out fine.

We loved that balcony!

When is your cruise? Where does it go? What ship? I want all the details!

Tricia from Northwest

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We left May 7th - 15th, Southern Caribbean on the Splendour. It was MAGNIFICENT. I did my Carnival formal review, but haven't done one on the forum yet, still reading my journal and reliving my cruise!

I've had calls for an upsell and upgrade to a balcony cabin. IMO, upgrade is correct for all. There's either upgrade for a fee or upgrade for free.

Enjoy your balcony! I love your excitement.

The excitement never wore off! We were there 8 nights, and enjoyed every balcony moment of it! I will say, we realized we weren't as sociable as we usually are, as we spent almost no time up on deck at port time, or to watch sunset. I'm sure nobody missed us!

DH and I ate out there for breakfast every morning, except for sea day brunch.

This is one of the main reasons I splurge on the balcony. Since I am an early riser, I tend to order a bagel, some cereal, and a hot tea from room service and enjoy it on the balcony while the family sleeps. This 20-30 minutes of peace, just looking out into the ocean is so relaxing and well worth it to me.

It's the little things in life. :D

I hope you get nights with a full Moon. It's awesome. Also please don't slide the chairs around in the wee hours. pick them up. You will hear what I mean as well [as others said] Slamming the door. If you have another ship next to you close the curtains. Or you may give a show when getting ready for dinner.