Has anyone used Skyroam Hotspot service?

Going on a 12 day Mediterranean cruise in August and am considering renting one of these devices. The cost seems reasonable. Does anyone have experience with the product?

Thank you.

Have not used that device, but if you want coverage while at sea, I would check with the Skyroam people. I could not tell from their website if the device works over the ship's cellular connection.

I'm also thinking about getting a Skyroam hotspot for our British Isles cruise. They won't work on the ship at sea but they should work close to land within reach of cell towers and while on excursions. It looks like a nice luxury item and they claim it is an encrypted secure connection. There are 4 of us going so it's nice you can connect up to 5 devices.

I am going to rent one. It is less than $200 for my 12 night cruise and even though it won't work at sea I am willing to risk that much so as to have land based connectivity in ten different countries. I have researched it as much as I can and I am going to try it.

Bob,

You might be better off buying one and adding daypasses to cover the days you will need (or be able to use) WIFI. I think the rental is $10/day but they charge you for every day you have it even days at sea when you can't use it. With your travel time on the 12 day cruise you may need it for 14 days. That would be $140 rental if I'm understanding it correctly. You can buy it for $100 and it comes with 5 day passes. You can add 5 more daypasses for $40 giving you 10 days. If you have 2 days at sea that's all you need. The cost to own it would be the same as the rental, you won't need to send it back and you'll have it for the next trip. I think I'm going to buy it and add 5 more days. It's also nice that once you turn a daypass on, the unit works for a full 24 hours from that time as 1 day.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Bob,

I just bought a Skyroam HotSpot. They have been $99 but I found a direct deal for $70. If you are interested let me know and I'll send you a link. mike at mathgen dot com.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Used my Skyroam on our Baltic cruise and also in Mexico. Great fast service in every port. No service while at sea unless we were within a few miles of shore. So much better than trying to hunt down free Wifi. Highly recommend!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Used my Skyroam on our Baltic cruise and also in Mexico. Great fast service in every port. No service while at sea unless we were within a few miles of shore. So much better than trying to hunt down free Wifi. Highly recommend!!

Great to hear. Thanks for the post. Our cruise is coming up and I think the Skyroam hotspot will be great for our group of 4. I plan to keep it in my backpack so we can all connect to it at each port.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
Bob,

I just bought a Skyroam HotSpot. They have been $99 but I found a direct deal for $70. If you are interested let me know and I'll send you a link. mike at mathgen dot com.

Mike

how was it? I am thinking of buying one for my cruises and travel