Packing for Alaska in August

peggisue

We have a trip to Alaska in August and I know that I will need to layer clothing. I'm curious what people wear in the main dining room. I did a search on this and responses were from years ago where it seems that jeans were worn by the majority of people in the dining room. Is this still the case? I'm assuming that the elegant nights people still get dressed up.

I'm finding it hard to get excited for this trip -- my idea of cruising is palm trees and sandy beaches -- not mukluks and ice! LOL

We have a trip to Alaska in August and I know that I will need to layer clothing. I'm curious what people wear in the main dining room. I did a search on this and responses were from years ago where it seems that jeans were worn by the majority of people in the dining room. Is this still the case? I'm assuming that the elegant nights people still get dressed up.

I'm finding it hard to get excited for this trip -- my idea of cruising is palm trees and sandy beaches -- not mukluks and ice! LOL

We were on the Legend last June and dressed for dinner each night on other cruises. Suits and dress up on elegant nights and just dressy casual for other nights.

For years I never thought of Alaska as I am like you in that warm climates were my idea of vacation. But I was blown away by the beauty of Alaska. If you have the option of a small boat excursion if you will be in Tracy Arm, I would really encourage you to take it.

On carnival it's always a mixed bag of what people wear on elegant night. Wear what you want within the dress code and don't worry about anyone else.

We are from Colorado so the weather was like spring for us around 65 in the daytime and 40s at night. Capris and sandals for me all day and night. Others from phoenix were wearing fur hats and gloves. I would say it depends on the individual what you need to pack.

I have never been to Alaska...so close and yet so far living in Oregon over 21 years.

Being from and being back in Montana I have with the what???..Alaska for a cruise vacation crowd? Then I slowly see the pics. They get a warm "swath"...my dad's wording.....of air from the currents. NW has been amazingly warm..hot this year and the cities of Seattle and Vancouver are to die for. I am wanting that as much as any other place now..accessible on a ship. All the others have said the same..layers and a little more casual...but still have the dress up nights...in the Mountains on the sea. Its rather odd but I have been sailing in Norway on a nice midnight sun ferry with my own tiny sweet cabin where I could lay on the bunk in awe looking out the window. I think many places in Alaska have that feel..coupled with many places that are just VAST..and that is an awesome feeling.

The photos of family at different trips in past 60 plus years..awesome. Of my dad in '58 working in Aleutian Islands full young beard...my nephew working on a salmon ship..and 2 different cruises...Everyone says just epic..but I understand the emotion..and depending on where you go the extra gear needed. Winter lasts long in Montana.

You will love it and be amazed by that "swath"....of air..AIR...and incredible mountain and water shots.

Bon Voyage.

Edited by sjn911

Can snorkel in Ketchikan. DH and the girls did it several years ago. Can also surf, check out the surf shop in Sitka near the Russian church.

Edited by SadieN