First the Wonder and now the Magic

Ex techie

Well the Wonder got the sniffles first, and it appears she has passed it on to her sister the Magic.

Keep washing those hands thoroughly with hot water and soap guys!

If the text is too small to read it says:

Retweeted by Scott at TheDCLblog

EM @grimgrinning

@TheDCLBlog Magic has increase safety measures due to guest illness. No self-serve at drink station, buffets, etc., incl. Palo.

ex techie

1615263971_ScreenShot2016-05-07.jpg.e285521ee04191dbdb635a4397f5460b.jpg

Edited by Ex techie
I forgot to say where the tweet came from!

Another tweet about pool deck drink stations being closed overnight and paying for room service only for some refreshments.

Every cruise can change and when incidents occur, not everything can be open 24/7 that may have been before.

ex techie

1001798065_ScreenShot2016-05-072.jpg.0f0ad9a13a911f7b135d9513fbfd4950.jpg

Any more info on this ? There's been nothing in the media (and we all know how they drool over stories like that!) or that I've found on other websites.

I don't think the outbreak was as bad as on the Wonder. This was posted on another forum from someone who was on the Magic cruise:

We just got off the Magic today. Someone was definitely sick, though we were not told with what. I have to say that the Magic did an excellent job containing and preventing the spread of illness. It was literally all hands on deck, providing servers for the drink fountain, removing an option to self serve at the buffets, ice cream, etc., but never making the passengers feel like an imposition! I'm happy to hear they are taking the time to cautiously clean the ship!

I think the number of people who actually reported being sick must have fallen beneath the required 3% for it to be reported, so I doubt that we'll find out what it was.

Edited by Shmoo here

Any more info on this ? There's been nothing in the media (and we all know how they drool over stories like that!) or that I've found on other websites.

Ellain1 has just returned from the Magic and posted this:

About the outbreak, I just got back from a week on the Disney Magic and we seemed to have quite a few sick people too. My granddaughter got sick at the character breakfast and we rushed her out. Then my daughter was sick two days later. I got queasy the day after that but not as bad. I talked to several others who also were ill but did not report it, so I don't think that a lot of sick people even got got counted. One thing that I noticed when first on board was that they were letting people serve themselves at the first day buffet and later at breakfasts. Most places, ships and restaurants, do not allow that anymore as germs spread hand to spoon to hand etc. Around the middle of the week, they stopped that practice and would not allow us to touch the spoons........they served us which I think should have been the practice all along.

So it sounds like a lot of Guests are not reporting.....

ex techie

Which I would venture to say is the case with every outbreak on any ship.

I agree that there will always be a percentage of Guests on any line that do not report, but I do think that percentage increases especially if they read about a recent noro outbreak and how other Guests are quarantined.

ex techie

It's a tough issue....if you report, you and possibly your family are likely to be quarantined. On the other hand, your travel insurance will not kick in unless you report.

There is definitely under-reporting on every cruise.

It's a tough issue....if you report' date=' you and possibly your family are likely to be quarantined. On the other hand, your travel insurance will not kick in unless you report.

There is definitely under-reporting on every cruise.[/quote']

Don't report it and you are screwing everyone else on the cruise and possibly the next cruise and cruise after that.

Responsibility and accountability unfortunate are not seen much these days.

ex techie

The other thing is most of the people on the 3&4 night that will get sick until after they leave the boat because of the 12-36hr incubation.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

THis is the problem with many viral diseases. You are "sharing" for a significant period of time before you become symptomatic.

I don't think the Norovirus is contagious before you are symptomatic.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

This from the CDC web site:

Norovirus can be found in your stool (feces) even before you start feeling sick. The virus can stay in your stool for 2 weeks or more after you feel better.

You are most contagious

when you are sick with norovirus illness, and

during the first few days after you recover from norovirus illness.

Here's the full article:

http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/transmission.html

Actually, at the time my granddaughter became ill I didn't think it was something like norovirus. She was better in just a few hours. No fever, perky, etc. I thought it was something she ate, the excitement etc. It didn't occur to me to report it. When my daughter felt ill, she just automatically stayed in the room. I guess sometimes it is hard to know what is a food problem, what is a minor upset, and what is more serious. I sort of go by the old instinct thing of seeing how the person feels, if there is a fever, and when, in the case of a child, they look bright eyed and bushy tailed again. Any suggestions as to when you actually SHOULD report what seems to be a minor upset????

Actually, at the time my granddaughter became ill I didn't think it was something like norovirus. She was better in just a few hours. No fever, perky, etc. I thought it was something she ate, the excitement etc. It didn't occur to me to report it. When my daughter felt ill, she just automatically stayed in the room. I guess sometimes it is hard to know what is a food problem, what is a minor upset, and what is more serious. I sort of go by the old instinct thing of seeing how the person feels, if there is a fever, and when, in the case of a child, they look bright eyed and bushy tailed again. Any suggestions as to when you actually SHOULD report what seems to be a minor upset????

Noro usually lasts 2-3 days. Typical symptoms are watery diarrhea and vomiting. The biggest "danger" is dehydration. There is no real treatment, it is supportive care which can include IV hydration.

If your grand was better in a few hours, that's not likely to be noro. I'm with you as to using good parental judgement. Multiple bouts of vomiting, poor skin turgor, dry mucous membranes, kid looking "not well" or persistence beyond a few hours is worthy of a trip to the medical center. We've all seen the "too many popsicles/too much excitement situation. A single episode of vomiting with no other symptoms would result in my watching the situation. Multiple episodes of vomiting over a few hours would mean a trip to deck 1. And general "parent/grandparent uncomfortable with the situation" is reason to get another opinion (from the doc). Obviously, the younger the child, the more quickly you need to seek help. Very young children can get dehydrated quickly.

NOTE--this is typical "mom" advice, not to be confused with medical advice.

The wording in the Navigator is:

"Contact the Health Center by dialling 7-1923, should anyone in your party become ill."

Personally I would take that to mean they are telling you to call the doc's if someone is feeling ill (vomited or feeling unwell), and not wait to see if it improves or not.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

The wording in the Navigator is:

"Contact the Health Center by dialling 7-1923, should anyone in your party become ill."

Personally I would take that to mean they are telling you to call the doc's if someone is feeling ill (vomited or feeling unwell), and not wait to see if it improves or not.

ex techie

You are correct--that is what it says. However, I've had plenty of times of feeling a little queasy with rough seas, having a bad headache, or whatever...and I haven't run to the medical center. I guess it depends on the definition of "ill" or "unwell." BUT, I also go to my cabin and try to sleep as such times--no exposing others, etc. There has to be a place for reasonable judgement. Fever, repeated vomiting or diarrhea--yes, time to see the med center.

You are correct--that is what it says. However' date=' I've had plenty of times of feeling a little queasy with rough seas, having a bad headache, or whatever...and I haven't run to the medical center. I guess it depends on the definition of "ill" or "unwell." BUT, I also go to my cabin and try to sleep as such times--no exposing others, etc. There has to be a place for reasonable judgement. Fever, repeated vomiting or diarrhea--yes, time to see the med center.[/quote']

I agree with what you are saying in principle, but when it is noro season, and there are other reported cases that you may or may not be aware of, I think everyone should just do as they are asked and pick up the phone and call the med center as requested.

This allows the medical professionals in charge to decide if they feel it is necessary to see you or the ill person, and IMO unless it is just a headache or feeling a little bit queasy, it is not the Guests decision to make. They are not responsible for the health of thousands of people aboard.

ex techie

I can't disagree with you politely saying "hey lady' date=' just follow the instructions."[/quote']

Sorry, I'm just thinking as an ex CM and even if not noro, maybe just a 24hr vomiting bug, the ship need to be aware so they can monitor each and very case to see if there are trends or increases on certain days, and implement procedures to help prevent it and eradicate the problem if it is possible to.

Unless they know, they cannot accurately internally report it and externally report it or monitor it.

ex techie