Where is best for the dog sled?

nu2crusin

I have most of our port excursions for Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway planned out but one to-do list item remaining - seeing some type of dog sled experience. I understand that in 1st week of June there wont be snow and that some do a wheeled cart ride. We will be driving to Denali post cruise and I understand they have something at the park. I also see there is the Iditarod center which we could detour to on our way back to Anchorage. Any experience share on these or others? This will be for myself & wife @ 51, plus three at 21, & 24 YO.

There is a big difference between a cart ride and sled ride. :)

In Denali- it's demo, probably lasts less than a minute. You do have access to a couple dogs at their kennels. There is no "ride". For a sled ride on snow, you need a fly in. Less canceled out of Girdwood, which you would be near.

As for the Sled Dog headquarters- it's a quick 5 minute ride offered by Reddington dogs. They are frequently there for the drive up option. An excellent cart ride is with Seavey's out of Seward. (if you are going to be there?)

There is a big difference between a cart ride and sled ride. :)

In Denali- it's demo, probably lasts less than a minute. You do have access to a couple dogs at their kennels. There is no "ride". For a sled ride on snow, you need a fly in. Less canceled out of Girdwood, which you would be near.

As for the Sled Dog headquarters- it's a quick 5 minute ride offered by Reddington dogs. They are frequently there for the drive up option. An excellent cart ride is with Seavey's out of Seward. (if you are going to be there?)

Thanks for the info. My main question would be "is it worth it"? Not the heli tour, that is not in the budget, but the ground one. My husband and I are going and I am wondering if it is a bit lame. Several of our friends say it is great, but they all had kids with them at the time. It would be in Juneau or Skagway and I'm thinking the Mendenhall Glacier would be much more fun.

Any advice is appreciated as I may never get to do this again.

Edited by Tottsmom

Since you are traveling to Denali, there is a dog sled tour in Talkeetna with Sun Dog Kennel.

We have taken this before. We had a group of 17 ranging from 11 all the way up to 70+. All seemed to have enjoyed it.

First the tour operator explained how they raise and train the dogs for the race. He has competed several times and ranked quite high.

As they prepare the wheeled cart for the tour, they're walking through the area where the dogs are secured. The dogs are excited, jumping around. All are thinking "pick me, pick me"! Once the dogs are selected, those left behind literally are pouting. They want to run.

The dogs are hooked up to the cart and off you go. They run for a few minutes. Of course they don't run them for too long on warm days.

Once you return back to the base area, you get time with the puppies.

We all enjoyed the trip a few years ago. In fact we are taking another group this summer and are booking the excursion again.

Thanks for the info. My main question would be "is it worth it"? Not the heli tour, that is not in the budget, but the ground one. My husband and I are going and I am wondering if it is a bit lame. Several of our friends say it is great, but they all had kids with them at the time. It would be in Juneau or Skagway and I'm thinking the Mendenhall Glacier would be much more fun.

Any advice is appreciated as I may never get to do this again.

OK, your post- at face value, tells me, you are only considering this because of your friends??? Not a good reason to book tours. :) Are YOU interested in a cart ride? Seeing dogs? Getting driver and sled information? You already write- "lame"?? Doesn't sound like much interest for you?

Since you are driving to Denali- it's a simple matter to stop in Wasilla and go to the Sled Dog headquarters. IF you want to take the cart ride- just hand over your money and go. No need to decide now. See what you think when you get there.