Skagway Tips for 2 activites in one day..! Doable?

nu2crusin

I have done some research and am looking to book for our group of 5 adults (21,24,24,51,52 YO) for our June 1st day in Skagway from Coral Princess (in port 5:30a-8:30p). Looking to do the Chilkoot train/bus (booking direct) leaving @ 7:30a returning 11a, and then Grizley Falls Zip lining at 1p-5p. I can book the zip line either through Princess or direct with Alaska Excursions (they say no restrictions). Princess shows a wider time start/end spread which I assume they are padding a bit since the use the excursions transport. Any advantage/consideration booking via one or the other? We should have up to 2 Hrs between near the port for lunch, exploring a bit. We can also explore a bit when we return at 5p (late dinner). Does this seem realistic or am I missing something? Enough time in Skagway to get the flavor?

Yes, your tours are doable. I give no priority to meals, so I pack in my days as well, with Alaska adventures. :) Have a great time and take advantage of your tour priorities.

I think you will be fine with your plan! I am working on planning a very similar day in Skagway (for myself and my teen and tween sons). First, my dad and the kids and I are doing the Chilkoot tour from 8:30-12:00 (the 7:30 was booked, and we all like to sleep--8:30 will seem quite early as it is).

My dad does not want to zipline, so he will hang out with my brother and his wife. I am trying to decide if I want to book ziplining through the cruise ship at 1:40 (that leaves us an hour and 40 minutes for lunch--though I don't prioritize food, but when you have a 15 and a 12-year-old with you, you really have to). We'd have to pay $50 more to book through the ship. Our other options is booking through Alaska Excursions at 3:20. Or Skagway Shore Tours (same time, same price).

You could save money by booking a 1:00 p.m. through the tour companies instead of through the cruise ship. With a group as big as yours, it could be a savings of about $100 (not sure what Princess is charging, but NCL charges $20 more per adult).

Unfortunately i learned after booking online that the am tours with Chilkoot were booked.. Had to opt for the standard 8:10 am Summit round-trip train. Reserved that and The 1p zipline through Princess as it seemed to be same price.

Unfortunately i learned after booking online that the am tours with Chilkoot were booked.. Had to opt for the standard 8:10 am Summit round-trip train. Reserved that and The 1p zipline through Princess as it seemed to be same price.

there were other vendors to choose. Frontier and M&M as example. listings http://www.skagway.com