Cruise comparison

Allure of the Seas balcony cabin (small)$2648.00 per couple

Air fare $500.00

hotel pre cruise $250.00

Tips (prepaid) $600.00

drink package $500.00

Total cruise cost$ 4440.00

Five star all inclusive Punta Cana (two room suite) $3400.00 (air included)

Food at AI 8 out of 10,food on cruise 8 out of 10.

drinks on cruise 9 out of 10 ,drinks at AI 10 OUT OF 10:cool::cool:

Just saying!

The only thing I will comment on in you calculations is that your gratuities are very much overstated as even if you are considering a suite your recommended gratuities would be $231 for two based on a 7 night cruise.

Your comparison also neglected to mention entertainment and the variety of ports of call, etc. IMO its really not quite apples to apples.

But other than that, enjoy Punta Cana!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I have been to the Domincan Republic. In fact I used to have a time share there, until the hotel was sold and they have lost my documentation as to ownership but that is a whole other story. (And I really don't care).

In my opinion it is difficult to compare the two types of vacations. I personally feel much more secure on a ship than I ever did in D.R. Unless you stay in the compound, it's really not safe. The level of service is much more consistent on any given cruise ship. This varies tremendously in an A.I. Someone has already mentioned entertainment. The shows have an intrinsic value.

All inclusive vacations are a good alternative to cruising but I find it difficult to compare value as they are somewhat different in what they offer besides great days off of work.

Air fare $500.00

hotel pre cruise $250.00

Tips (prepaid) $600.00

drink package $500.00

Just saying!

$600 for tips?! That sounds incredibly high to me. $15 per day per person x 7 days = $210 not $600. So take $400 off your $4400 and you're at $4000 which then is a little more in line.

As far as food goes, I've never been to an AI so I have to go by what friends and family have told me. The food at an AI is apparently not at the same level as a cruise, so I've been told.

Drinks - well an AI is a 10 out of 10 as you say. I'd put cruise line drinks at a 6 or 7 out of 10 considering how much it costs. I don't drink a lot on a cruise so the booze isn't a concern for me one way or the other. Even if I was at an AI I wouldn't drink that much.

Now comparing the Allure is picking a high option too, so you have to acknowledge that. For example, we booked a 7 day Eastern on the Regal Princess for this fall for $1400 CAN or about $1100 USD. So there are better options out there and sticking with RCI is probably not the best option if value for your dollar is paramount.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

Unfortunately the costs are higher for cruising again for Canadians with our dollar being less valuable. We get away on a cruise for basically the same cost as a all inclusive but have made exceptions to do so. We book a reasonable time of year in a interior cabin and do not have alcoholic drink packages. We still have a great vacation and can go with far less worries of getting sick while away. I rate the food a little different when comparing since you have to be wary of what you eat in certain countries.

Now we did travel a lot to all inclusive resorts in the past and got to see many unique sights. Unfortunately on a couple of our more recent vacations(Dominican republic and El Salvador) we both experienced Montezuma's revenge mid vacation. My wife was very sick over 2 weeks after getting home from El Salvador and missed quite a bit of work. I have only been sea sick on a ship one night in heavy seas and my wife has not been sick yet. Those experiences are enough that I would make whatever sacrifices we need to so we can vacation with piece of mind. It took me a long time to get used to the idea of my hotel moving and essentially being in a tourist trap all of the time as well. Unfortunately the areas around many all inclusive resorts are not what they used to be either.

The last time I compared a resort vacation(Breezes) and the Allure we chose the ship because of the significant price difference. Maybe someday we will get tired of cruising and go back to land but not for at least a few more years.

Air fare $500.00

hotel pre cruise $250.00

Tips (prepaid) $600.00

drink package $500.00

Just saying!

Just my 2 cents worth...

As noted above, comparing apples and oranges...also depends on what you like to do on vacation.

From our perspective, the AI would be quite a bit more expensive than our upcoming Allure cruise.

INSIDE cabin (small) $1400.00 per couple (just a sleeping/changing place)

Air fare $500.00 (about the same from Indiana as well)

hotel pre cruise $100.00 (don't need a 5 star for a 1 night stay)

Tips $50.00 (the additional amount not already covered by OBC)

drink package $0.00 (wouldn't buy on ship or drink alcohol at an AI)

Total cruise cost$ 2050.00

While we may try an AI sometime in the future, but its cost will be relatively higher than a cruise -- FOR US. Obviously, the cost cutting above would not agree with many people.