Request for Patters, Remix schedules & menus for Grand Princess SF to AK 2016

ladyaero

Hi Everyone-

Tomorrow is the first Grand Princess SF to AK cruise of the season and I am green with envy (I have to wait 10 more weeks!?!). I am throwing out a request, in case anyone is feeling generous- if anyone going on the Grand Princess between now and July would be willing to share the patters from their cruises and/or the Remix schedules for the week, it would be greatly appreciated! I am trying to get my 15 yo son interested in the planning process and he would like to see what types of things are happening on board (he has been on 2 short Carnival cruises and loved participating in the club and ship wide events, so he would like to see how Princess compares). I'd also love to see the menus, but that's just me wanting to live vicariously through you all for the next couple of months! :-)

I hope you all have a fabulous time on your trips and can't wait to hear all about them!

I'm going on the 10 day Grand Princess Alaska cruise on June 30th and will be more than happy to get all that stuff for you and post it. (sorry you have to wait a few weeks. lol)

Thank you CruisingCoral! Can't wait to see them. :-)

Thanks for the bump Nimbusteach!

Thank you, JenniPuccinelli, for the offer- I may take you up on that! Was it the same itinerary (Ketchican, Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm Fjord, Victoria?

All the same ports except we did Glacier Bay for the inside passage portion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Awesome, we're doing the same itinerary in September and would love to see the patters beforehand. Thanks.

We are doing the Grand August 2017.

I would also like to see the Patters. I would also be more interested in the shore excursions. I'm trying to plan as much as possible for our trip as I will have a 6, 8, 10 & 12 YO. I need to decide in advance if I want to go private or through the ship. I can't seem to figure out the Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska (Scenic Cruising). There seems to be some kind of excursion you can take directly from the ship.

Apparently on our last cruise I was too laid back and my plans didn't work all that well. I didn't take the scooter into account nor rain. My bad :rolleyes:. This one will be expensive so I want to make sure I get all I can out of it since I'm paying for 6 people.

I want to make this memorable, educational and fun. I want them to be in school and get excited and say "hey, I've been there", "hey, I've done dog sledding on top of the glacier". "I went whale watching on our very own boat and this is what we saw....". There is a ton of planning to do.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Kids love the Lumberjack show in Ketchican. The dog sleds in Juneau were so worth the big bucks. The train to the Yukon from Skagway is beautiful and educational. I have found it's worth it to spend what I can on the kids when in Alaska. Oh, they will need to see a couple of glaciers, too, before they all melt. ;)

Kids love the Lumberjack show in Ketchican. The dog sleds in Juneau were so worth the big bucks. The train to the Yukon from Skagway is beautiful and educational. I have found it's worth it to spend what I can on the kids when in Alaska. Oh, they will need to see a couple of glaciers, too, before they all melt. ;)

Sadly, I think I have decided in Juneau. Marv and Harv's whale watching excursion in the morning. Because of their young ages we need to go private. Yippee! No one bothering my kids and my kids not bothering anyone else. Later that day I have pretty much decided to do the Coastal Helicopters and land on the glacier (after I take out a second mortgage), do the dog sledding then the extra stop. Lots and lots of money this day but I believe they are memories that just can't be bought. Wait! I am buying them but well worth it.

My issues come in the other ports. First, let's say way cheaper. I want to take them panning for gold but I am not interested in the food part that goes many of the excursions. I can guarantee my autistic DGD will not eat any of that food and I'm not sure of the other 3 so it would be a waste of money. The Lumberjack Show is a must. I think that would perfect and everyone would have a blast but what else to do that day. Same with the gold panning. Leaving the ship in Misty Fjords sounds intriguing so I'm trying to get more info on that.

I want full days and shopping need not be a part of that. Because the kids are so young we can forget pubs and anything to do with drinking as well.

I've been to Alaska a few times and I remember the helicopter ride is probably one of my top 5 excursions of all times. I'm looking for balanced day for the kids but they have to be geared toward them. Stopping to shop is not kid friendly.

This is also why I'm scouring the Alaska board for ideas. M&H and Coastal came from there. I'll be calling them soon to book the tours. The one port is the Fjords (since it really isn't I need to decide if there IS a tour and should we do it but I'm having trouble finding out details. Either wrong ship, wrong itinerary or something.

Victoria will be easy. The Miniature Museum. Horse drawn carriage through town and that kind of thing. Maybe use some funny money and let them do some shopping there.

I've already bought them hand warmers, feet warmers, special gloves for those hand warmers :) and umbrellas. I want coordination. I am having SO much fun doing this. Just wait until I tell my husband we are going LOL.

What are remix schedules, maybe I know them by some other bpname, but never seen one on any Princess cruise??:confused::confused:

Remix is the name of the teen club. You wouldn't have received any information on that unless you tried to pass yourself off as a teen. :eek:

I forgot to mention the Duck Bus in Ketchikan. This thing is an amphibious vehicle that takes you on a tour of the town and then out into the harbor. My little ones loved it. I think they were about 7 at the time. They got "duck" noisemakers to blow on, and that was a big hit.

I've already bought them hand warmers, feet warmers, special gloves for those hand warmers :) and umbrellas.

Skip the umbrellas. They are annoying in crowded ports, especially in the hands of kids who aren't careful with them! :eek: Hooded rain jackets are much more practical.

Shockwaves and Remix schedules from our Alaska cruise several years ago can be found here.

Edited by sherryf

Skip the umbrellas. They are annoying in crowded ports, especially in the hands of kids who aren't careful with them! :eek: Hooded rain jackets are much more practical.

Shockwaves and Remix schedules from our Alaska cruise several years ago can be found here.

Well we have two mini suites next to each other so I'm hoping to utilize the balcony in a fun way. Standing out there in the rain and also we will be on the whale watching boat together. Plus the dog mushing on top of the glacier.

I will also be buying hooded rain jackets but have to wait until next year when their sizes are closer.

Thanks for the schedules.

Well we have two mini suites next to each other so I'm hoping to utilize the balcony in a fun way. Standing out there in the rain and also we will be on the whale watching boat together. Plus the dog mushing on top of the glacier.

I've seen people's umbrellas get blown inside out while trying to use them on a moving ship. Maybe within the confines of your balcony, where it's a bit more protected, but then you won't have room for very many. I don't know about your mini-suites, but the couple of times I've had balconies, they were covered, so we didn't need umbrellas or hoods.

In public, make sure the kids are careful of people around them. Most kids seem to be completely oblivious of who or what they are poking with their umbrellas. :eek:

We are doing the Grand August 2017.

I would also like to see the Patters. I would also be more interested in the shore excursions. I'm trying to plan as much as possible for our trip as I will have a 6, 8, 10 & 12 YO. I need to decide in advance if I want to go private or through the ship. I can't seem to figure out the Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska (Scenic Cruising). There seems to be some kind of excursion you can take directly from the ship.

I've never seen this from the Grand in Tracy Arm. But I'd love to be wrong.

Of course. I bought them mostly for fun. Even if we only use them once on the cruise I will get my joy out of them. I bought bright yellow, black with rain drops, fushia, blue, burgundy and red. Grandpa probably gets the yellow one :)

Of course. I bought them mostly for fun. Even if we only use them once on the cruise I will get my joy out of them. I bought bright yellow, black with rain drops, fushia, blue, burgundy and red. Grandpa probably gets the yellow one :)

Those should be good for some fun photos, even if it never rains! :D

I'm going on the Ruby Princess - Tracy Arm itinerary later this summer. I also found the discussion of a Tracy Arm excursion confusing, but eventually figured out that people were talking about this (scroll to the bottom of the page). As I understand it, if you book this excursion -- which can only be done through Princess -- you will board (tender onto?) a smaller boat that will take you up the fjord to Juneau. I believe it is run by a company called Allen Marine. The reported advantage is that you can get much closer to the shore and to wildlife in a small boat. On our cruise it is scheduled to depart at 7:30 am and arrive in Juneau at 1:00 p.m, though I've read arrival is sometimes delayed. I've gone ahead and booked it for my dates.

I'm guessing, but not certain, this option may also be available on the Grand itinerary you mentioned. But I am a cruise newbie, so don't take my word for it!

I'm going on the Ruby Princess - Tracy Arm itinerary later this summer. I also found the discussion of a Tracy Arm excursion confusing, but eventually figured out that people were talking about this (scroll to the bottom of the page). As I understand it, if you book this excursion -- which can only be done through Princess -- you will board (tender onto?) a smaller boat that will take you up the fjord to Juneau. I believe it is run by a company called Allen Marine. The reported advantage is that you can get much closer to the shore and to wildlife in a small boat. On our cruise it is scheduled to depart at 7:30 am and arrive in Juneau at 1:00 p.m, though I've read arrival is sometimes delayed. I've gone ahead and booked it for my dates.

I'm guessing, but not certain, this option may also be available on the Grand itinerary you mentioned. But I am a cruise newbie, so don't take my word for it!

This is the one I'm talking about BUT our ports go: Skagway, Tracey Arm Fjord, at Sea, Victoria. If we did it in reverse we would board in Skagway. I guess I have to wait until someone doing our exact itinerary can tell me.

This is the one I'm talking about BUT our ports go: Skagway, Tracey Arm Fjord, at Sea, Victoria. If we did it in reverse we would board in Skagway. I guess I have to wait until someone doing our exact itinerary can tell me.

You would board and return to the ship in Tracy Arm. On itineraries where Tracy Arm is in the morning and Juneau in the afternoon, the excursion often rejoins the ship in Juneau. Since your itinerary has Tracy Arm on a separate day than any other port, then IF the excursion is offered, it would have to leave and return to the ship in Tracy Arm. I haven't done it, so I can't offer any more specifics. Hopefully someone else knows more.