Bucharest / Transylvania - Private Tours info wanted

Harley0711

I have done the searches and reached out to a few people - thought I would post here - I will be starting a River Cruise in Bucharest, Romania on July 5, 2017. We will arrive 4 days early - We want to visit the Transylvania area and of course visit the Dracula Castle / Vlad the Impaler. Viking has an excursion but I would be more interested in a Private tour. I have started a Roll call for this cruise and ask if anyone else might be interested - however with less than 200 people on board - not sure what kind of response I might get.

Looking for someone here that might have done a Private tour in this area and would be willing to share what they learned "pay it forward' so to speak.

Michael

harley0711@yahoo.com

Have you tried tripadvisor?

jc

I have and I just again tried - the website is not working very good for me in this area - I will continue to look there

I prefer CC - TripAdvisor can have fake reviews AND I really am looking for that person that I can talk to that has done the private and can recommend. I (like a lot of people here on CC) have gone on lots of private tours and I am Always willing to 'Pay it forward' on what I have learned - both the good and not so good. I have found CC people are some of the best out there when it comes to sharing ideas and info.

Thanks for posting and your suggestion..

No problem. That said CC has fakes too, and CC and TA are related. I agree that connecting is easier here. We did on our own in Bucharest but didn't try to go to Transylvania.

jc

Thanks JC - I am 'old school' LOL > Being a retired Fire Fighter - I can't help but to offer help when ask - that is why I post my email - I know how much I look for help in areas, so when someone reaches out to me with a question - I will always try to help.

I broke my Heel almost 5 years ago - the Dr. said I may never walk right again, OUCH - I went on the internet and 'sure enough' not good news.. Then I started taking Videos and posting on youtube - then found a great forum. my recovery took a little over a year - I posted over 7 videos - that was almost 5 years ago - I still get emails and posts asking for info and just someone to talk to - I Always help out to those in need.

Today, my foot and heel are back to 99.99% of normal - what ever normal is, LOL

CC is a great place to learn and share.. Fakes - they don't last long and never talk to a person direct.

Edited by Harley0711

We start our private tour with tdtours.com this coming Sunday for 4 days. I cannot recommend them yet as we have yet to go. That being said, the trip is for 4 full days in Transylvania at the same hotel Viking uses for the same price. With the Viking tour you only really get a day and a half of Transylvania - the rest in Bucharest - and 3 days total. Plus ours is supposed to be a private tour - not a bus load. (On our cruise, there are 33 people booked for the Transylvania Viking extension.)

Wish I could give you a full review now, but I will post back here once we've gone. I'm hoping it works out as planned!

We start our private tour with tdtours.com this coming Sunday for 4 days. I cannot recommend them yet as we have yet to go. That being said, the trip is for 4 full days in Transylvania at the same hotel Viking uses for the same price. With the Viking tour you only really get a day and a half of Transylvania - the rest in Bucharest - and 3 days total. Plus ours is supposed to be a private tour - not a bus load. (On our cruise, there are 33 people booked for the Transylvania Viking extension.)

Wish I could give you a full review now, but I will post back here once we've gone. I'm hoping it works out as planned!

I thank you so much for your offer... if you do not mind.. take down this email and contact me when you get back, would love to talk to you..

Michael harley0711@yahoo.com right now we are arriving 4 days early - we may be able to change that to 5 IF needed.. or just adjust the Private IF they are willing... I will really enjoy your recommendations... ask about adj those days..

Enjoy..

\

Harley - fyi, our initial tour on offer from them was 3 days, but when we listed all we wanted to see, we expanded it to 4. They were very willing to adjust the schedule and accommodate our wishes. The hotel originally proposed by the standard tour was a "pensione" but we upgraded that to the Hotel Kronwell. Now we just have to see if they deliver.

Harley - fyi, our initial tour on offer from them was 3 days, but when we listed all we wanted to see, we expanded it to 4. They were very willing to adjust the schedule and accommodate our wishes. The hotel originally proposed by the standard tour was a "pensione" but we upgraded that to the Hotel Kronwell. Now we just have to see if they deliver.

Is this the people you using??

http://www.transylvania-discovery-tours.ro/en/Travel/dracula-tours/

May I ask the price PP for your 4 day??

I did send them a email asking about a private - July 2017 - I told them I had heard about them through a friend that would be using them soon on a private and I would be reading their review - of course Never mentioned any names, places or dates - just said soon...

Yes - that's them - although we didn't specifically ask for the "Dracula" tours. The guy I've been dealing with is Bodgan. The cost is 625 per person, but can't remember whether that's USD or Euros - plus entrance fees to particular castles, museums etc. Breakfast is included but other meals are on us. Viking's price for our time of year was $799.

We specifically asked for a private tour and are booked for a van, driver, and guide for just the 2 of us. Fine with me if you tell him Elizabeth sent you and I'm to be picked up on Sunday - might help insure a great trip! Now if you could just insure fantastic weather, I'd be eternally grateful!

Yep - sure is - although not as great as it used to be :p. I've checked my booking and unfortunately it was quoted in Euros. :(

We've completed Day 1 of our 4 day excursion and am certainly pleased so far. Bogdan was a bit early getting to the Hilton so as soon as we came down we were whisked away; he has a nice, although not extravagant van that comfortably would seat 6; the hotel we requested as an upgrade to the pensione is absolutely fabulous...best hotel we've stayed at so far on this trip. Had a great dinner in the hotel restaurant. We went to Peles Castle and Bran Castle and had a driving orientation tour through Brasov today.

Yep - sure is - although not as great as it used to be :p. I've checked my booking and unfortunately it was quoted in Euros. :(

We've completed Day 1 of our 4 day excursion and am certainly pleased so far. Bogdan was a bit early getting to the Hilton so as soon as we came down we were whisked away; he has a nice, although not extravagant van that comfortably would seat 6; the hotel we requested as an upgrade to the pensione is absolutely fabulous...best hotel we've stayed at so far on this trip. Had a great dinner in the hotel restaurant. We went to Peles Castle and Bran Castle and had a driving orientation tour through Brasov today.

Thanks for the update - keep them coming,

btw - Euros ? was that 625 Euros?? PP

I have contacted three tour operators - two have called me.

http://www.jaywaytravel.com/tour/romania/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw9tW5BRDk29KDnqWu4fMBEiQAKj7sp_uYffx9WjARzvCkufQW-nf3QaLYeW4huHfKXCdyumIaArfs8P8HAQ

Jayway - called - said he would send price and itinerary - not yet received.

http://www.tours-of-romania.com/contact-us

This person called this morning and also sounded very good - compared to Jayway - his itinerary and prices are below - he also included a large reference list with emails for me to contact - I will do that, lol

last company and no contact as yet...

http://www.transylvania-discovery-tours.ro/en/Resources/tailor-made-tours/

Below is the breakdown for Tours of Romania.

Dear Mr Rollins

Thank you for the inquiry. We are very glad to organize your tour to Romania for your dates in July 2017.

Please allow a short presentaion: my name is Andrei Nicolau Miclea and I am the Managing Partner of Compass Travel Romania LLC, a licensed Romanian - American tour operator with the main office in Bucharest, Romania and a regional office in Sofia, Bulgaria. I personally have over 20 years of experience in designing and running tours of Romania.

Our company, registered in Romania, is privately owned and run and has been the leading private tour operator of Romania for many years now. We are a member of the American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA) and of the National Geographic Society. We also are a sponsor of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites Fund.

Our emphasis is on quality and value.

We are proud to say we work with some of the best tour guides in the country, all of them specializing in private and small groups, enthusiastic, knowledgeable and excellent English speakers. They are able to touch all subjects such as from history and architecture to current politics. They definitely are able to offer an insider's perspective.

I recommend the Transylvanian Encounter 4-Day Tour as one our best selling short tours since 2002. It is an out-of-the ordinary tour to encompass Transylvania with all its major highlights.

This tour comes with a number of exclusive features and cultural connections developed by us through our many travels in the country. I am certain you will enjoy the home hosted experience in an actual village home and not in a B&B, the walks in various villages and opportunity to interact with the people, the local markets but also local artisans in their workshops.

As of mid 2011 we have introduced an exclusive visit to a Gypsy family in their village where you will have the chance to meet them in their home. This is truly a unique feature as it’s known Gypsies don’t customarily open their home to foreigners.

The early booking prices for 2017 are as follows:

- Party of 6 travelers: 435 Euro per person

- Party of 4 travelers: 467 Euro per perron

- Party of 2 travelers: 545 Euro per person

with a English speaking tour guide, private transportation and based on double or twin occupancy.

Please find your itinerary in attachment (printable version). In case an extra night in Bucharest on arrival is needed, we are glad to offer that at our travel agent rate of 37 Euro per person, with breakfast and all taxes (at the four star Berthelot Hotel downtown Bucharest).

We just, this evening, finished our 4 day tour with Transylvain Discovery Tours with a wonderful fellow named Bogdan. I will write a more exhaustive review when I'm not so exhausted myself. What I do want to clarify, Bogdan's original price to us was 475 euros at a lovely pensione. Trouble is, let's face it, we like our western creature comforts when it comes to bedding down for the night. So Bogdan arranged at our request a very upscale Hotel that turned out to be very high-tech and modern. That's why the price you see me paying is higher - I particularly chose a higher priced lodging.

The advantage over our trip to the Viking extension is: 1. You see so much more, 2. You see off-the-beaten-path types of things you'd never see with Viking. 3. In our case with only 2 of us, we could spend as much or as little time in an area as you want. Bogdan was eager to accommodate any wish or whim you might come up with. He was totally punctual, polite, informative and helpful. The Viking extension basically takes you to see Peles Castle and Bran Castle and give you a panoramic tour of Brasov with a bit of free time there, that's about it, before you're whisked back to Bucharest.

You've only just scratched the surface of the delights Transylvania has to offer. With someone like Bogdan you get a so much more in depth experience.