Aft extended balcony.....

mycomputer

Curious to know how are the Aft Extended Balcony cabins?? We've had balcony cabins before they were awesome but never "Aft". Heard some good very little bad. What's your opinion? Specific sailing is Valor just after Dry Dock yay!! Aft Cabin Empress Deck cabin #7451. Any thoughts??

Curious to know how are the Aft Extended Balcony cabins?? We've had balcony cabins before they were awesome but never "Aft". Heard some good very little bad. What's your opinion? Specific sailing is Valor just after Dry Dock yay!! Aft Cabin Empress Deck cabin #7451. Any thoughts??

We were just on the Valor in an aft extended balcony. It was awesome. We were in cabin 7449. The balcony is twice the depth of a regular balcony.....has a lounger, 2 chairs and a table. Had breakfast out there every day watching and listening to the wake.

Have a great cruise!

March 2018 we will enjoy our 1 st Aft balcony on the Sunshine. I know ,far out we booked at 747 days till cruise now down to 680 days till cruise. All afts except for deck 8 are gone. So glad we booked early! Hoping it is not too rough or too hot on Aft. Will probably have fun no matter what the circumstance. Enjoy your aft!!!

We just got off of the Breeze 3 weeks ago with an aft extended balcony. I've had other balconies before (suite, and regular) and next to an aft wrap balcony, I'd say the aft extended is the next best thing. There was so much space in the room! The room, to my surprise, was bigger than usual. We moved our couch a bit closer to the bed and stuck the side table between the couch and the wall. We had so much space on the floor. Definitely helped to make the room less crowded. We were able to walk side by side and when I was doing my makeup at the vanity, my boyfriend was able to walk behind me without me having to scoot my chair in.

We were on the 6th deck. With deck 5 being right below us, there were people walking on a track and if they looked up, they could see us on our balcony if we walked to the edge. Same for the people on decks above us and people on the side of us. But if we only walked the length of the side dividers (staying more inside the balcony and closer to the room), we couldn't be seen by anybody.

My boyfriend fell in love with this room and has sworn that we will never get anything less than a balcony and nothing other than an aft extended balcony. It is amazing. I can't say enough about this room. Great choice.

After all the talk, I just hope they are of a similar build on the Conquest class ships for your sake lol

Stayed in cabin 7442 for both Valor and Conquest (identical rooms). My wife and I LOVE aft extended!!

Nothing quite like sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine, watching the ship pull away from that day's port of call.

Some might complain about vibration and or motion, but vibration is a non-issue and only really noticeable when pulling into port/docking. And motion (in fairly calm seas) is fine as well. In fact, the gentle motion helps us get to sleep a lot easier.

Just be careful of Deck 7 aft balconies. The afts next to the corner wraps are much smaller then the middle afts on so e ships.. To check on your aft, go to Deck plans for your ship, click on your cabin number, click on details. The bigger afts say sofa and coffee table. If they don't say that you have a significantly smaller cabin, but the same larger balcony. We had the smaller cabin on Deck 7 on the Breeze a few years ago and we were very disappointed in the cabin size. We always book ext afts and only ran into the smaller cabin, next to the corner wraps, on the Breeze. So when I booked Deck 7, ext aft, I checked on the cabin details and discovered the same thing. The ext afts next to the corner wraps are smaller, so we booked a middle ext aft for our Journey's Sunshine cruise in 2016.

You don't get much foot traffic there. One time we found two ladies walking from one side to the other trying to figure out to get to the back of the ship. I explained there were at the back - then hubby opened the door, pulled back the curtain and let them see our amazing view.

We've done several cabin crawls and though we are impressed with suites, aft facing balconies are our favorite. Now if hubby could get a good price on an aft wrap he'd book it in a heart beat.

We did a B2B on the Valor, 7440 (cat. 9C wrap) a while ago. Personally I thought the aft portion of the balcony was almost unusable because of the heat and lack of any breeze.

Most time when we went out there I'd fill up a plastic ice bucket with water and toss it on the deck so one could walk out there barefoot (it's HOT). We usually camped out on the side where we got some shade, a nice breeze, a view of where we're going, and some privacy. We sometimes had soot on the chairs and some misc. garbage too (wrappers, napkins, once a bit of a ice cream cone). Vibration was never a problem for us.

Overall, I don't really understand the appeal of the aft cabins, they're hot, dirty, no privacy and you can only see where you've been. If you can, spring for a wrap.

I wasn't that crazy about the aft. We had one of the rooms that was smaller, and the TV in the room was at the headboard of the bed. There was no sofa, just a (1 singular) regular chair and the usual table. We aren't TV watchers, but to some people that may matter.

I HATED the vibration in the room. Yes, it is just when arriving in port, but that is usually early in the morning. On my last day of vacation we pulled into San Juan at 4 am - so much for my last day of sleeping in....

While the balcony is deeper, some of it is not usable because of the glass angle. You can put your lounger there and stick your feet under, but the glass magnifies the sun and it gets pretty warm.

We also felt like we spent the entire cruise walking hallways. It seems like everything was mid or forward ship. Including debarking at ports. Not that I didn't need the exercise, I just didn't find it all that convenient.

We checked and got 7333 on Sunshine bigger room. Has anyone stayed here Vibration? Heat ? We are sailing end of March 2018 Aruba, Bonaire and Grand Turk. I was going to use Balcony to lay out on since decks are so crowded. This will be end of spring break expect crowds already.

I'm in room 7439 on the glory next month and I've been worried ever since I booked it. I don't know what the correct catchy name is for this cabin but it's right before the wraparound balcony. We have a long balcony but our room is oddly configured (broken up by the crew stairs) and I understand that you have to practically climb over the bed to get to the bathroom. I'm excited about the balcony. Just hope it's worth it when we see the room.

I've had Aft balconies on both the Carnival Magic and Legend and I love them. I think that is all I'll get from now on.However, there are some things you need to be aware of and I see some have already chimed in on a couple of these.

1. If you in the Cabin directly bellow the Lido Deck, you will hear people moving chairs around. It wasn't that big of a deal for me because I use ear plugs at night as I'm a very light sleeper.

2. Unlike a normal Balcony, you will not have the breeze that you have on a regular Balcony so it can get very warm.

3. Most Aft Balconies don't have much an overhang so much of the time there is no cover from the sun or rain. The exception to this would be the cabins directly below the lido deck.

4. Lastly, keep in mind the aft part of the ship is a low pressure area. So if anyone smokes(even though its not allowed) on their balcony towards the back part of the ship(not just the aft part), the smell of smoke will accumulate there. We had this problem on the Legend as the very least amount of smoke causes my wife to have an asthma attack. I also every once in a while noticed drops of soot from the engine on everything outside. So I wouldn't leave anything out there for a long time/over night that would potentially get ruined. I will say our cabin steward wiped everything down balcony regularly.

One thing I would recommend, before the cruise go to Academy or some other sports store and buy a cheep hammock to suspend between balcony dividers. I promise you never want to sit on the balcony furniture again.

2. Unlike a normal Balcony, you will not have the breeze that you have on a regular Balcony so it can get very warm.

I forgot to add, to mention, this was actually a huge benefit on our Alaskan cruise. I was able to sit on our Balcony in shorts and a t-shirt while we were going through the Tracy Arm Fjord while the people standing on the forward observation decks(some people call them secret decks) were bundled in thick coats trying to keep warm.

I had an aft balcony once on the Magic, exactly centered on Deck 6. We had room for 2 lounge chairs a small round table, and a chaise lounge that fit sideways. I was excited to book the cabin and looked forward to relaxing on the balcony meditating on the wake.

Turns out, this balcony was always in the sun, there was barely any overhead, and after 20 minutes, I looked like I came out of the sauna. The cruise was a western itinerary in the middle of November, and it didn't matter morning or afternoon, sailing north or south, the sun was ever present. One afternoon I stood with my back against the divider to enjoy the view in the small sliver of shade that was available.

I'm not sure if this lack of protective overhead is limited to the Magic or not. I'll enjoy a regular balcony and have booked them on the Vista and the NCL Breakaway, but I'm not sure if I'll book another aft again.

I'm in room 7439 on the glory next month and I've been worried ever since I booked it. I don't know what the correct catchy name is for this cabin but it's right before the wraparound balcony. We have a long balcony but our room is oddly configured (broken up by the crew stairs) and I understand that you have to practically climb over the bed to get to the bathroom. I'm excited about the balcony. Just hope it's worth it when we see the room.

Hope this helps. From the Carnival web site, Carnival Glory deck plans.

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-glory.aspx?cid=Psearch_A_G_&SE=Google&KW=carnival_glory_deck_plans&CM=Carnival_Ships_-_Exact&AG=Ships-Glory&gclid=CI3Sj5Wp08wCFc5ZhgodTkYLJA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Go to Deck 7 and click on cabin number. Look at 360 views and floor plan.

Edited by teaach

mzlinda, google the exact room number and ship name and you may find that someone has posted a video or review somewhere online. Our friends are staying in one of these rooms on the Triumph this October. They call them the bowling alley balcony rooms or the L shaped rooms at the aft of the ship. From all the research I've done each ships L rooms are a bit different. Some are bigger and have a wall of windows. Some have couches, some just chairs. Some have a bed that faces the windows and some the windows are behind the back of the bed. They all are L shaped and they all have long balcony that normally has a lounger and 2 chairs and a table on them. But again, google it and you'll be amazed at what you find. I actually found a video of the exact room my friends will be staying in. It showed every inch of the room. They were originally in an aft balcony, but I started reading how these rooms can be hot/warm and one of them easily gets overheated, so I pushed them to move to the L shape one. I hope it's good because it was my advice that they move. Good luck finding pictures.

It has been a few years, but we were in 7451 on Liberty and it was a great cabin. Yes the balcony could get warm, and there was more vibration than normal, but it is not one of the skinny rooms and we liked it very much! :)

We had an aft balcony on the Glory in March of this year. Cabin 7442, port side, right next to the wrap aft. The cabin was configured just like any other cabin. This cabin is for 2 people (three people can not book this room) no sofa, just a small table and one chair. We did not find the cabin to be too small. There was a vibration in this cabin. Especially in the bathroom. It did not bother us, we actually found it to be soothing when falling asleep. Be aware that the people on the decks above can see you and you can see the people above and below you. We never saw our neighbors on either side of us.

We booked this cabin because we wanted to utilize the larger balcony to lay out during the day to avoid the crowds on the lido deck. The balcony just fit 2 loungers and one side table if they were put on an angle. Well, it was too hot, no shade all day and absolutely no breeze. We are used to the sun, we have a boat and we are out for days during the summer, but this was torture. We did not experience any soot or trash, just cigarette butts on a daily basis. We never smelled any smoke or saw anyone smoking, but there were butts there every time we went out on the balcony.

We did not have blackout drapes and the sun really heated up the room during the day. It did cool off in the evening.

We will pick a balcony again, but on the side of the ship where we can actually spend some time outside.

Hope this helps. From the Carnival web site, Carnival Glory deck plans.

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-glory.aspx?cid=Psearch_A_G_&SE=Google&KW=carnival_glory_deck_plans&CM=Carnival_Ships_-_Exact&AG=Ships-Glory&gclid=CI3Sj5Wp08wCFc5ZhgodTkYLJA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Go to Deck 7 and click on cabin number. Look at 360 views and floor plan.

Thanks. It looks pretty good to me. We splurged on an $85 bottle of vodka since it'll be such a long walk to the bar. Now if we can just get our room steward to find a 2nd lounge chair for us.

• 5 weeks later...
We just got off of the Breeze 3 weeks ago with an aft extended balcony. I've had other balconies before (suite, and regular) and next to an aft wrap balcony, I'd say the aft extended is the next best thing. There was so much space in the room! The room, to my surprise, was bigger than usual. We moved our couch a bit closer to the bed and stuck the side table between the couch and the wall. We had so much space on the floor. Definitely helped to make the room less crowded. We were able to walk side by side and when I was doing my makeup at the vanity, my boyfriend was able to walk behind me without me having to scoot my chair in.

We were on the 6th deck. With deck 5 being right below us, there were people walking on a track and if they looked up, they could see us on our balcony if we walked to the edge. Same for the people on decks above us and people on the side of us. But if we only walked the length of the side dividers (staying more inside the balcony and closer to the room), we couldn't be seen by anybody.

My boyfriend fell in love with this room and has sworn that we will never get anything less than a balcony and nothing other than an aft extended balcony. It is amazing. I can't say enough about this room. Great choice.

After all the talk, I just hope they are of a similar build on the Conquest class ships for your sake lol

Which cabin were you in? My family has the aft wrap and 5 aft balcony cabins on deck 6 booked in September 2016!! Do you have any cabin picture you can post????

Edited by crazy.cruzer