QM2 keycard slot for power in staterooms?

Lobbylin

Hi, a quick easy question I hope!

I have a sheltered balcony cabin booked on the QM2. Do you need to insert your keycard into a slot in the cabins to turn the electricity on? I am looking to buy a new lanyard for my keycard and want to get a retractable card holder, but it will be a nuisance if I keep having to detach the card each time and insert it into a slot each time I enter our cabin. (like on P&O Azura...)

Thanks!

Even where there is such a slot (QE/QV), any card may be used. Its not necessary to use your actual room key card.
Indeed, you are correct; any card will do.

(However a friend who wanted to charge a laptop when out of the room (I believe that one power socket remains "live" even when the card is removed, but he didn't know this, if true) left an identity card (work) in the slot and returned to find that the cabin steward had removed it. It was not in the cabin, the steward "couldn't remember" where she'd put it. Only a visit to the Purser's Desk and a request/compaint to have the card returned "my personal belongings shouldn't leave the cabin" resolved the situation as suddenly the steward remembered/found it the next day).

No one should be re charging any equipment when it's unattended.

If you need proof of this, check out stateroom 5104 QM2 ... 'scorch & heat marks around the plug area and the top of the counter unit'. My steward informed me (2015) the pervious guest almost started a fire using the wrong sort of charging extension.

It beggars belief that there are folk around who would consider leaving things unattended for re charging on a ship. I wouldn't even think of doing this in my own home.

We are often reminded ( both in the daily programme and the Captains briefing at the muster) not to re charge phones/ipads etc when unattended.