Question on port times

meh56

My husband and I are sailing on the Gem from NYC in September. We have sailed many time but not that often on NCL. I saw on the itinerary it says that you need to allow 2 hrs to disembark in ports and you need to return to the ship 2 hrs before sailing time. That takes 4 hours away from your day in port. Is this actually what happens? Also can anyone tell me what time I need to schedule a driver to pick up at the pier to make a 1:55pm flight from Newark? Also any information on where a private driver would pick you up in NYC?

Thanks for your help.

The 2 hour prior to sailing thing applies only to your first day.

Typically, on port days, you need to be back on the ship one half hour prior to departure. Signs indicating "all aboard time" are posted at the gangway when you leave the ship.

Thank you for the response...I would not like to loose 4 hours everyday...not sure why they post that.

Can anyone help me with information on disembarking in NYC?

Not sure what specific info you are looking for regarding disembarking.

They offer two types of disembarkation. The first group are those that carry off all of their luggage with them, this is called "self-assist". After that, they call off colors of the luggage tags issued to you if you want to have porters take your luggage the night before. The colors are based on deck numbers. Some guests will have a priority color which was yellow for us on our last cruise. We are Platinum cruisers with NCL. I assume that they offer those tags to the suites guests as well?

On our last cruise on the Gem, they announced that self-assist could leave the ship starting at 8:00 am. It was an hour later when they started announcing colors.

I hope this helps.

Thank you CTcruisers....We are visiting family in Westport/Weston prior to cruise. We are going to book private car from Pier to Newark so that is what

I was asking about. We are probably going to carry off luggage and have a flight at 2p from Newark. I thought I read the NYC disembarkation was on the

late side and I was not sure what time to tell the driver. I am thinking about 10a?

Also read something that you need to cross a major road for pick up, do you know anything about that? Thanks for the help.

Thank you CTcruisers....We are visiting family in Westport/Weston prior to cruise. We are going to book private car from Pier to Newark so that is what

I was asking about. We are probably going to carry off luggage and have a flight at 2p from Newark. I thought I read the NYC disembarkation was on the

late side and I was not sure what time to tell the driver. I am thinking about 10a?

Also read something that you need to cross a major road for pick up, do you know anything about that? Thanks for the help.

You should be able to be off by 10:00 am or so.

They do have curbside pick ups, but it can be congested. We have seen people walk across the street for pick ups and cabs. There are police at the intersections.