Should we upgrade from a Celebrity to a Royal Suite?

dadsbdaycruiser

We have the option of upgrading our Celebrity Suite from a Celebrity Suite to a Royal Suite on our upcoming Equinox European 7 day cruise. The net price difference is right around $500 per person. Here's the catch- right now we are booked in a "best" package (I know we'd get free beverage package and unlimited wifi) but we'd lose the prepaid gratuities and onboard credit- probably worth another $250 a person (although we always tip extra). It's just my husband and myself right now, but there is the possibility we'd add one other adult child and friend. I've stayed in Penthouse, Royal and Celebrity suites on M class ships, but never on a S class ships- and have not since the new Suite program has been in place... any insight would be greatly appreciated, as we have to figure this out!

We have the option of upgrading our Celebrity Suite from a Celebrity Suite to a Royal Suite on our upcoming Equinox European 7 day cruise. The net price difference is right around $500 per person. Here's the catch- right now we are booked in a "best" package (I know we'd get free beverage package and unlimited wifi) but we'd lose the prepaid gratuities and onboard credit- probably worth another $250 a person (although we always tip extra). It's just my husband and myself right now, but there is the possibility we'd add one other adult child and friend. I've stayed in Penthouse, Royal and Celebrity suites on M class ships, but never on a S class ships- and have not since the new Suite program has been in place... any insight would be greatly appreciated, as we have to figure this out!

Why would you lose the gratuities and onboard credit? Celebrity's offer if you book a suite right now (and for the past few months) is all four perks when booking a suite.

If you upgrade to the RS, I don't understand why they would take away 2 of them.

Never sailed in a Celebrity suite but the Royal Suite experience we had last year to the Baltics on the Silhouette was beyond memorable. From beginning to end it was the best trip and "cabin" ever! Ultimate customer service, Luminae, priority everything....the best ever experience we've had on 8 X cruises. Again...do it!!

It's a different rate code which takes advantage of the air credit they are offering now, so we might lose some of the "best" promotions (although maybe not). The living space is quite a bit larger with the extra half bath, which would be good if my stepdaughter winds up coming- and my husband many time wakes up early to work so having a separate dining space (which he'll spread out on) is kind of nice too.

The RS on S class is so much nicer than the CS. We have cruised both and found the bedroom in the CS 'closed in' and the lounge dominated by that big sofa. RS has space and light. That extra toilet and sink is really useful too.

Remember the other perks you get with a RS too. Premium drinks package, unlimited speciality dining, in suite bar set up...

In addition to the additional bathroom in the RS, there is another consideration if you are likely to have four adults in the CS. In the Cs, the huge L-shaped sofa takes up a great deal of the floor space. IMHO, four adults would find it very difficult.

You also need to consider that value of unlimited Internet, unlimited specialty dining and premium beverage package to the additional two people in your calculations.

Just the bathroom alone in the RS is enough to choose that venue over the CS!!! Getting into that tub/shower in either the sky suite or celebrity suite was a ridiculous adventure. Plenty of room in the RS and the added amenities are really worth it...we couldn't go back to a celebrity suite now. You'll find that as you "ascend" to the next level of suites, you become spoiled and it's very difficult to go back to something less! Happy cruising!

If it is four of you cruising, go for the RS. We fit four people, 2 scooters (mom and sister) AND an oxygen concentrator easily!

loved having the half bath which we had a raised toilet seat in there for my mom. Also the shower was easier for mom and my sister to shower...we also had a shower chair delivered which worked great.

the dining room table was great for dinner in cabin one night and breakfast. fabulous

We have found on our European cruises that we really treat the room/ship like a hotel. We are off the ship for close to the maximum time allowed, usually very few sea days, and when we get back to ship we just want to eat/shower/sleep.

We would have saved the money and not upgraded...BUT we travel on the cheap as much as we can.

Have a great cruise!