Hampton Inn Downtown

tjmaher

Planning a family reunion for October. Looking for a hotel that is in a central location that will not break the bank for those flying in. Having never been to Ft. Lauderdale prior to this trip, can you tell me if the Hampton Inn Downtown is in walking distance for restaurants, beach, attractions, etc? Also, does anyone know if they shuttle service. I read somewhere that it did, but when I called the reservations number they said no shuttle service. Called back and then was told yes shuttle service. Any insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Look at Hyatt Place. Book it on valuetrips.com. This year's Oct. rate was $149. Much better location for your family. Near restaurants, shopping and very safe in the evenings too. The trolley goes right by so you can use it to see more of the city and get to the beach. There is a free hotel shuttle from the airport and free breakfast. Large rooms for families. Cab ride to port in morning is $15 or so. Not a per person rate.

For sure I'd choose this over the "off downtown" area. Not sure what rate you are seeing there. There have been recent threads re that hotel.

Planning a family reunion for October. Looking for a hotel that is in a central location that will not break the bank for those flying in. Having never been to Ft. Lauderdale prior to this trip, can you tell me if the Hampton Inn Downtown is in walking distance for restaurants, beach, attractions, etc? Also, does anyone know if they shuttle service. I read somewhere that it did, but when I called the reservations number they said no shuttle service. Called back and then was told yes shuttle service. Any insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

It is a great hotel! Yes, you are walking distance to lots of restaurants, shopping, and attractions but don't do it at night.

It is a transitioning area.

I would not hesitate to stay there myself.

I have the Hampton reserved for a Saturday night in October; looked at Hyatt and the price is more than double the price of the Hampton. I'm thinking the Hyatt might have a wedding reception or event booked for that date.

Hampton is apparently in an area where you don't want to walk around at night, but otherwise it seems like a decent location to me.

I have the Hampton reserved for a Saturday night in October; looked at Hyatt and the price is more than double the price of the Hampton. .

Did you check Valuetrips.com for the Hyatt Place? It's normally $149 a night in October.

Did you check Valuetrips.com for the Hyatt Place? It's normally $149 a night in October.

Tried to book a room for October. It did offer the $149 price; said I'd hear back in 2 to 3 days. That was Wednesday (today is Friday); no reply yet.

Personally, I don't like sites where you have to give your credit card info just to try for a room, but I assume its a reputable site.

I have the Hampton reserved for a Saturday night in October; looked at Hyatt and the price is more than double the price of the Hampton. I'm thinking the Hyatt might have a wedding reception or event booked for that date.

Hampton is apparently in an area where you don't want to walk around at night, but otherwise it seems like a decent location to me.

By day it is very busy with office workers, gov't employees, fortune 500s, lawyers, doctors, etc.

The area has only recently been gentrified so at night there are still some problems.

If I were in a big group, I'd walk from there to Las Olas at night but not by myself or one or two people.

Tried to book a room for October. It did offer the $149 price; said I'd hear back in 2 to 3 days. That was Wednesday (today is Friday); no reply yet.

Kicker,

We have the Hyatt booked through ValueTrips in December. This is the first time we have used them and I had heard they are a little slow to respond so I gave them a week and then sent off a second email saying that I had not heard from them and wanting to know if they got my reservation or if something maybe went missing. They got back to me within a day or 2 after saying we were booked.

When they email you back you will get a Hyatt confirmation number for your reservation. From that point on you deal with the hotel itself. You can login and see your reservation and/or cancel it. Your credit card is not charged by ValueTrips and there is no charge to cancel if you do so through the hotel by 12 pm at least 24 hours before your date.

I was a little nervous too and a bit irritated at how long it took to get back to me but they were recommended here, the price is good and I feel comfortable that once it went through I can now see my reservation and deal with the hotel directly.

Best of luck!

Kicker,

We have the Hyatt booked through ValueTrips in December. This is the first time we have used them and I had heard they are a little slow to respond so I gave them a week and then sent off a second email saying that I had not heard from them and wanting to know if they got my reservation or if something maybe went missing. They got back to me within a day or 2 after saying we were booked.

When they email you back you will get a Hyatt confirmation number for your reservation. From that point on you deal with the hotel itself. You can login and see your reservation and/or cancel it. Your credit card is not charged by ValueTrips and there is no charge to cancel if you do so through the hotel by 12 pm at least 24 hours before your date.

I was a little nervous too and a bit irritated at how long it took to get back to me but they were recommended here, the price is good and I feel comfortable that once it went through I can now see my reservation and deal with the hotel directly.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the update - I was wondering since I have yet to hear from them (posted last Wednesday). thanks to your info it just sounds like I should wait at least a few more days.

Thanks for the update - I was wondering since I have yet to hear from them (posted last Wednesday). thanks to your info it just sounds like I should wait at least a few more days.

Call the hotel direct too and check if you are reserved yet.

Received an E-Mail last night: $149 for a Saturday night in October, post-cruise. The Hampton would be cheaper, but the Hyatt's location is better, and considering they wanted $264 for one night when I tried to book direct, $149 is a good price.

This is why I love CC; I'd never heard of that hotel site; I've used Priicelne and others,but none of them matched in this case. Thanks!:D

Kicker,

So glad it worked out! I found out about that site here too and was really happy with the price. Won't be staying there until December but the reviews are good and the price was right! Hope you have a great stay!

Edited by SeasideMemories

Kicker,

One last option depending on where you want to stay. The Riverside was being offered as a Priceline Express deal as a 3 1/2 star Downtown Fort Lauderdale offering. We have that booked one night post cruise.

Edited by SeasideMemories

• 2 months later...

I decided to book a hotel near the airport and rent a car for the day - this fits our plans better. I never received an e-mail confirmation from Valuetrips when I booked through them (maybe went to Spam?), and I e-mailed over a week ago to cancel; never heard back. Just called Hyatt Place, and my reservation was canceled; Valuetrips just never notified me.

Nothing against VT, but for us it didn't work out. the price was definitely better than booking direct (would've saved about $30 for one night), so even though I ended up not using them, I still appreciate the advice.